If TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD were just now being adapted to a movie today, how would they screw it up?

Plausibly?

Since it sounds like perfect oscar-bait, they would crank up the drama quite a lot. Robinson dies in Atticus arms, giving a five minute speech, for instance.

And there has to be a Romantic subplot, of course. So Atticus Finch (Brad Pitt) falls for the inexplicably single school teacher (Catherine Zeta jones).

And it would probably whitewash a lot of the actual racism. No N-Words, for instance.

And after his acquittal, the formerly racist townsfolk embrace Tom Robinson (and the civil rights organization he leads) as a hero.

Dill would also be older, and he’d be the Sassy Gay Friend helping everybody cope.

No, there would be ONE use of the n-word, by Mayella Ewell’s father, after which he is ostractized by the rest of his racist buddies for going too far.

Personal brush with fame: Mary Badham, who played Scout, is from Birmingham, AL, and was close friends with the former owners of my house. She used to spend the night in my house quite often.

or Justin Bieber.

Oprah as the housekeeper.

I don’t agree. I think he could do a good job with the role.

As for that, isn’t the character of Dill a young Truman Capote? So sassy and gay wouldn’t be so wrong.

I think he’s a perfectly fine and capable actor, but I think they would miscast him as Atticus in an attempt to make it seem edgier and would direct him to be a bit “quirky.”

I think the recent general trend to dislike Johnny Depp has to with that recent thriller/caper flick in which most people feel that he just phoned in a particularly bland performance

Tom Hanks as Atticus Finch.

And Helen fucking Hunt as all the female roles.

No, wait. That would be if the movie were made 5 years ago.

I think Johnny Depp could pull of Atticus (imagine having never seen Gregory Peck do it).

They’d collapse characters - is there any need for Jem AND Dill - can Miss Maddie and Stephanie be the same person - might as well throw our need for Atticus’ sister in there too?

I think it is Oscar bait, so Atticus has to loose his case, but Tom Robinson should get lynched on screen after the trial when then town hears that Atticus will appeal.

And more Boo Radley, you can’t get a best supporting actor nomination off one scene (well, you can, but its harder) - he should interact with the kids more often.

[hijack] This thread makes me want to start a “Johnny Depp is a great actor” thread. I’m not changing my opinion cause he made a lousy movie or two. All the great had a few clunkers. [end hijack]

Aw. I was going to say Megan Fox would play Mayella Ewell.

Betty White would play Mrs. Dubose.

Whether Johnny Depp is a great actor or isn’t I don’t see him as Atticus Finch. I think he’d play the hell out of Boo Radley, though.

I could see that.

Will Smith as Tom Robinson.

“Mr Robinson, you are charged with rape”
“Aw HELL no!”

“Oh no you di’int!”

Perfect. :smiley:

If only this movie were coming out in 1998 we could’ve had Jim Carrey as Boo Radley.

…and then Boo would have talked out of his butt the way the author intended.

After Jem and Scout are attacked, Atticus pulls out two Glocks, sticks a couple of magazines in his belt and goes out looking for Bob Ewell, snarling “Now it’s PERSONAL!”

Call me naive, but I think they’d do it right. TKAM is held in near-reverence by anyone who cares in this country. They might not make a masterpiece, but I can’t see it becoming a near-parody like *The Scarlet Letter *(which, let’s face it, had it coming–God, I hated that book).