If you became famous, how long would it take for you to tire of it?

I answered immediately. I’m on the introvert side, and I don’t want random people to bother me all the time. I wouldn’t care about having people magazines reporting all the imaginary sordid details of my private life, either.
But on further reflection, I see two advantages to fame : influence and women. However, I can’t see any kind of thing I could magically become famous for that would grant me those benefits without the previously mentioned inconveniences.
All things considered, famous enough to be well considered in some circles, but not enough for the average Joe to know who I am would be fine presumably forever. So, exchange fame for “some notoriety” and I’m in.

I don’t think I’d ever tire of real fame. I get the sense it’s quite the drug.

Thirded. Fame for fame’s sake? No thanks. Heroic act in the moment? I don’t want to be in the news. Throw in some some fortune with that fame and we can talk.

I’ve always said, I don’t want to be rich and famous; I want to be rich and anonymous.

Immediately. I’d voluntarily sacrifice a portion of my privacy for money and success, though, so I wouldn’t be one of those whiny celebrities. But the fame would always be considered a cost, not a benefit to me.

My mom always said if she were famous she’d want to be like KISS. World famous, but as soon as the show’s over and you wipe off your makeup, you’re just some average Joe nobody recognizes.

70s-era KISS, that is. Now that they’ve had a few decades without makeup and acting in reality shows and whatnot, they’re more recognizable than before.

I’m a substitute teacher. Every teenager in my town and the next town over knows me by sight, and I don’t really know any of them. I’m already constantly getting greeted on the street by people I barely know.

I’m not sure fame would be all that much different, in practice.

Thanks. He lived to be 90 years old, and most of those years were very good years. I feel lucky to have had him for as long as I did. I’m basically doing fine, with (unsurprisingly) the occasional moments of melancholy.

My condolences on Jaceson’s passing. I loved your list, btw.

We were lucky in dealing with all the stuff that had to be done - my sisters and stepsibs and my stepmom and I split up the tasks, so nobody was overwhelmed with having to do everything. And the memorial service wasn’t until two weeks after Dad died, which I needed: I couldn’t have written anything coherent that first week.

I would be over it immediately. I tend to be a private person with a few very close friends instead of a bunch of more casual acquaintances. The whole Facebook “friend” thing is totally lost on me, I mean how can you be friends with someone you have never met, prob will never meet, and that you have no idea who they really are. I just don’t get it. (OMG! I just realized I totally sound like my Mom- that’s kinda creepy!)

I admit that I would enjoy the perks for s bit…being swept in ahead of everyone at events, private or preferred tables at restaurants, etc. , but it wouldn’t take long before being accosted by reporters and fans every time I stuck my nose out the front door would get very old very fast.

Immediately, and not just because I’m introverted and don’t really care for attention. An important value for me is fair treatment and equality, and the idea of fame is essentially the exact opposite of that. Famous people get adoration, they get special treatment, people pay more attention to their opinions even in things they’re not any more qualified than anyone else. Even when I do engage with famous people, though admittedly on a much smaller scale like musicians of whom I’m a fan, I still prefer to engage with them as normal people, and often even have conversations completely unrelated to their craft just so I can connect with them as people.

So, to that extent, I think if I could have a small number of fans and have real connections with them, I could probably tolerate that for a little while. But I get the impression this is more about fame on the level of a movie star, athlete, pop musician, politician, etc. If that’s the case, that’s really like a fate worse than death, as I fundamentally crave that real human connection, and I’d encounter so many sycophantic fans, or obnoxious haters, that my human contact would be overwhelmingly superficial and meaningless.

About a week, if that long. I could deal with instant success, but fame is something else entirely.

The SDMB is not the general population… I wonder if maybe only 20% of average non-SDMB folks would vote for “immediately tire of it.”

I think I could have fun with it for a couple of months at most. Adore me from afar all you want, since I don’t have to be aware of it, but please let me have a more or less normal life.

I’ve occasionally thought about what it would be like to be a recognizable super star, and I’m pretty sure it would be tedious to be interrupted while dining out or trying to buy toothpaste or playing tourist. I guess that’s why recognizable super stars don’t hang out in the kind of places I do. :smiley:

I remember once when I lived in small town China I met someone for the first time. She shook my hand and said “Oh, I know you. I saw you last November buying shoes. You were wearing a red sweater.”

I can’t tell you how grateful I am each time I walk to the pharmacy to get some cold medicine, red nosed and coughing, that I’m not making some kind of lifetime memory for someone.

I have the same feeling reading the replies to the “Why aren’t girls into geeks?” thread.

Being famous sounds like a version of hell to me. Being rich, in the other hand…

I am Asian and used to live in Asia. I used to chat up white American visitors, in English, when I saw them. I came to realize I was making them feel self-conscious. Other Asian locals would ask to have their photo taken with white American folks.

I’ve gotten that in Thailand but nothing compared with China. Whole families wanted their photo with me in Tiananmen Square. And there was this one waitress in Changchun who was absolutely gushing. Had her boss take our photo. She was cute too, and I have a feeling something could have happened that night had I just lifted my little finger, just like Mick Jagger.

Yeah, I’ve heard that blond people are pretty much instantly famous when they step foot in Asia, is that true?