Anybody here ever have a relationship with a famous person?

I’m quite curious about what it would be like to have a serious relationship with a famous person; how do things differ from a non-famous relationship, how are things the same, what are the pitfalls, what are the great things about it, what are the sucky things? I have no interest in fame for myself, but I’m very curious about what fame does to “normal” people, and how it changes lives, especially relationships. So, anybody have anything to contribute here (not looking for names, just experiences)? Inquiring minds want to know. :slight_smile:

I’ve carried on intense affairs with Cheryl Ladd, Lynda Carter, and Emma Samms …

or did you mean the kind that the other person knows about? :wink:

I rode on an elevator with Isaac Asimov once :slight_smile:

Before his father was president, GW dated my dad’s aunt. They actually went out quite a few times - she knew his father was a successful politician (I could be wrong, but I believe he was a congressman by then) but she dumped cause he talked too much and was boring. HA HA HA!

Depends on what you mean by famous.

I’ve worked on 2 or 3 radio productions with David Ossman of Firesign Theatre. But I’d guess that his name is unknown to 99% of the public. I also spoke several times to “Bob (Elliott) & Ray (Goulding)” and had dinner with them once while distributing their programs to public radio. Similarly, I worked with Andrea McCardle (the movie Annie), Tina Yothers (Family Ties), and Tempest Bledsoe (The Cosby Show) while I was worked with a group called “Children’s Radio Theatre”.

As a sound guy at the Smithsonian and the National Gallery of Art I worked numerous times with John Kenneth Galbraith, and worked single events with lots of famous people. Morley Safer, Cybil Shepard, the Dalai Lama, Al Gore, Bush senior and Dan Quayle, Barbara Streisand, Juan Williams, maybe some more I can’t think of now.

However, I never hung out with any of these people. Ossman would probably remember me, Galbraith might (if he’s even still alive – I was working there in the late 80’s and early nineties).

The only celebrity who I thought acted rudely was Morley Safer, because he ignored me while I was trying to brief him on how the event would progress. But I found out later he has a hearing problem, and might simply not have heard me.

Galbraith was very friendly and chatty, more so than any of the others except Ossman. I can’t say that anyonee acted as if the KNEW they were a STAR, well above the likes of me. The scariest person was Andrea McArdle’s MOM, who was a total control freak over her daughter, down to not letting her pick out her own breakfast cereal.

I think you’re inquirinig about more personal relationships than what I’ve had. But I love the chance to name drop. :slight_smile:

The closest I’ve come to having “a relationship” with anyone famous or well-known is really not worth mentioning…but that’s never stopped me from posting before.

My best male friend in the world went to high school with Frank Zappa. I’ve known this guy since 1982 and I just found out this little tidbit of info in the last year.

He said Frank had some little rinky-dink band that nobody particularly thought was earth-shattering. Wonder whatever became of them? :wink:

I once had the kind of relationship with celebrities in which I provided services, namely the removal and installation of gas water heaters for, in return for money.

I worked on the water heater of…get this, old school wrestling fans…Abdullah The Butcher. I was an acquaintance of, in the same vein, the Iron Sheik. I fixed the plumbing of Spud Webb.

Just as a slight left-field moment, has anyone here ever read some of the stories about a rather common syndrome which affects “tribute bands”?

Obviously, what I’m about to write doesn’t happen ONE HUNDRED percent of the time, but it seems as though it happens often enough that it’s worthy of pshychological thesis for sure.

Apparently, in “tribute bands” it’s very common for the members of the “tribute band” to become so obsessed with perfecting their mimicing of their particular ‘character’ that it actually “goes to their heads”.

I’m pretty sure there’s a new film documentary out about this at the moment. I can’t quite recall who the original band being ‘tributed’ is - it might have been KISS - but the story shows how a seemingly ‘well balanced guy’ slowly goes around the twist trying to perfect his role. It’s a pretty moving bit of footage I seem to recall.

Anyone have more knowledge on this film? Or the syndrome?

P.S. I also visit a few music websites and it’s quite eerie how seemingly normal well balanced fans will get into ‘popularity’ contests with each other to validate how ‘personal and close’ they are to insert band name here compared to other fans. It’s quite creepy actually.

My friend had gay sex with Nathan Lane.

I hit on Alanis Morrissette once. Bought her a drink. Seemed like an okay girl, and she wasn’t as greasy then. However, she was sort of going out with a buddy at the time, so I opted not to pursue it.

I had a major crush on Donny Osmond once. Does that count?

My ex-boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend is an Academy Award winning actress. It would creep my out when I’d see one of her movies rerun on cable. From what I’ve heard, she was a psycho, moody bitch. She was lonely and didn’t have a lot of friends and was always paranoid that people wanted to know her for her money and fame.

Also, I had a friend who had had had an affair with Nicholas Cage.

So your relationship was full of up’s and down’s?

I think he had to break it off because Asimov kept pushing his buttons.

Well, there’s my ex-wife…Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that’s the ticket, Morgan Fairchild. I get half of her Old Navy residuals, no, three-quarters, yeah, that’s the ticket.

Not exactly famous and completely meaningless to non UK correspondents but I had a long term realtionship with a very accomplished actress.

It was all very nice. She worked on the stage (RSC mainly) and toured and we were just your standard arty-farty couple.

Then she got a big part in a major British soap/drama (Casualty)n which she was in for three series. Our world turned upside down. She had never been recognised in the street (people tend not to recognise one of the witches from Macbeth or Goneril in the street) and got a lot of press (we were in Hello! with our beautiful home (that took weeks to tidy up).

Once the series finished she went back to acting obscurity with the RSC.

One thing I did notice is that when she was unknown we were treated as a couple and afterwards it was her +1 tag along.

I could put up a story here, but I want to protect the privacy of the person involved, and nobody would believe it anyway.

Celebrities who know that ** I ** exist include Bruce Harper (ex-Jet), Al Sharpton & his lovely wife Kathy Jordan, and Ray Simpson (Village People).

Worked on a project with Alex Haley when I was a little kid.

I’ve always had a “thing” for musicians (there’s just something about a man with a guitar…<drool>) and spent a good deal of my adolescence and early adulthood dating them. A couple of them were fairly well-known locally, but I don’t think any of them have rocketed to stardom. One was very well-known locally, and recognized often on the street. He was a pretty decent guy, and always introduced me to his fans, but I was on the receiving end of some nasty comments from some of the women fans. I got very offended when I was called a groupie (even though the label probably wasn’t far off the mark.)

In my brief art career, I became friends with a number of artists who were very big name in my field, and I will admit to initially being a bit starstruck over a few. As my own work became better recognized, I joined the ranks of artists who were “famous” and got a whole new perspective on the concept. The funniest result was my own daughter’s reaction when she realized that famous people were calling her mom to chat on the phone - she became QUITE the little braggart at school, telling her little pals that her mom was famous. It took her a while to understand the difference between being famous and just being a big fish in a small pond.

Let me say this: Famous people suck. Achieving fame is cruel to others sround the famous person.

Famous people don’t have time for their friends, or their families in the capacity that they should.

Given the choice, I would rather come to know someone already famous rather than know someone who went on to become famous.