If you could have pioneered one of the sciences which one would it have been and why?

I was laying in my backyard yesterday, in my hammock, watching the last leaves of a great big white oak tree come falling down. It was a beautiful day, cold, crisp and gorgeous…As I was watching the leaves coming down, I was wondering what makes them turn color in autumn - today I know that the oak leaves turn brown as they prepare for winter, wastes are left after the chlorophyll leaves the leaf…Maples have small amounts of reds and yellows in them all year long, only those colors are covered up by the chlorophyll during the summer months, and as winter approached and the chlorophyll leaves the leaf the yellows and oranges become more evident.
This is Grammar school science, but someone must have decided to study this at some point in our history to bring this knowledge forth.
Just as Newton took his apple and expounded on gravity and Hawking looked at black holes and Einstein did his thing…there was a first time for everything.

If you were to pick a scinece of which you would have liked to be the pioneer, which one would it be and why? I would have liked pioneering the study of (Place answer here)?

Personally, I would have loved to be Jacques-Yves Cousteau - an explorer of everything under the sea…

Genetics- without a doubt. To have the insight to understand te patterns underlying trait distribution in offspring would have been the ultimate aha moment.

Genetics to me is beautiful- I see all other natural sciences flowing through the window of genetics- and to have been the one to peel the layers of that onion away woud have been phenomenal.

Exobiology, the study of alien lifeforms.

Damn, I was going to say genetics.

Fine, give me neuroscience, then. All those guys who figured out what part of the brain does what, more or less, from studying stroke patients and brain-injured folks - awesome. I’d love to have a lobe named after me.

I’ll take any branch of physiology, really. The body is so cool. How it works and how it screws up. I’d totally do med school and get into pathology if I had the patience. But I don’t.

Renaldus Columbus, discoverer of the clitoris? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, we could do it together! You could stay Antigen and I"ll be Epitope!

If I was just interested in the glory of it all, I’d definitely go for nuclear physics. Thems where all the Nobels are. Plus, you get to have an element and/or a national lab named after you. Sure there’s all the guilt about the bomb, but that’s minor when you basking in the glow of the reactor pool.

But seriously, it would have been cool to be in my profession (environmental science) about 30 years ago when things were first starting to get good!

Chemistry. Perfect for getting high and blowing up stuff.

Astronomy. I would have put heliocentrism in terms the Church could live with, thus advancing the rest of science by centuries.

What terms would those have been?

Aeronautics. (I bet you all thought I was going to say Ballistics, didn’t you? :wink: ) Admittedly, most of my development would probably be focused on Airships (which are retro-cool in any number of ways) and Flying Boats, which are also retro-cool and long overdue for a comeback, IMHO.

At the very least, it would be pretty cool to read official WWI histories and Biggles books about the RFC fighting the Germans in Enfield Camel planes, with Enfield-Sunderland Flying Boats ensuring that Enfield Empire Airways offered safe, reliable, regular, affordable flights to the far, exotic corners of the globe…

What do you mean I’m 70 years too late? :smiley:

Palaeontology, of course!

Who doesn’t love a dinosaur? But I’m quite fond of the Big Mammals, too. (Smilodons, Dire Wolves & Mammoths, Oh My!)

Just thinking about the implications of this is very cool. Wow, imagine the possibilities in today’s society of this were so.

Man is the center of the universe spiritually, for as Jesus teaches, “God is spirit. We must worship Him in spirit and in truth.” Our scientific discoveries serve to glorify God, as science is His means of revealing His world to us. But this is not the world we will inhabit for eternity; therefore, our geographic location within it is without significance. As Jesus teaches, “I go to prepare a place for you. Were it not so, I would tell you plainly.”

Though I am not a beer drinker, I would turn beer making into an exact science and therefore, a College Course that everyone could get behind.