If you could have your mom make one meal or food dish what would it be?

My mom isn’t a very good cook in general, but she made wonderful bread - airy and light and really, really good. Unfortunately she didn’t like to make it because of how much time it took, so we only got it about 4 or 5 times while I was growing up, but I still remember how good it was.

I just entionned it in another thread yesterday : a dish that is competely unknown outside the area where I was brought up : it’s mainly potatoes,finely grounded (not mashed. think finely cut, the size of uncooked spaghetti), cooked in the shape of a cake, with fatty bacon (the kind of bacon with only fat, no meat in it), and herbs.
Second choice : duck with oranges.
My mther is a great cook anyway, except that she doesn’t make any dessert. So pretty much anything she cooks is great.

My mom’s Yorkshire puddings. She makes them in individual dishes, so that they’re crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. The ones that I’ve had in restaurants (where they make it in a big pan) are okay, but it’s mostly just gooey. Mom’s are awesome. The last time she made them, she gave over to my sister the task of mixing. Sis doesn’t have the deft touch mom does, so the puddings weren’t quite as light as they ought to be.

And my grandma’s M&M cookies. Not because they were so incredible, but because they were hers. She used to put only the seasonally appropriate colors of M&Ms in the cookies, and if she couldn’t get a bag with just the right colors, she’d buy the regular bag and pick out the “wrong” colors. She doesn’t do them so much anymore, because of the arthritis, but whenever we went to grandma’s house, we knew we were going to get M&M cookies.

My mom makes the best macaroni and cheese. No one else’s can ever compare.

My mother gets two - main dish (sort of) and dessert.

I’d start with “Chicken Haddie,” canned haddock (think tuna-size can) in a cheese sauce, served over toast.

Then for dessert I’d have a nice dark home-made Christmas pudding with her secret sauce - make a roux, fill with water, and add brown sugar (“golden sugar” for some of us) until it looks right. You could season with cinnamon if you like, or rum or brandy would be good.

Stewed okra and tomatoes.

Yes, I’m from the South! :slight_smile:

I cooked with my mom a lot, so I learned a lot of her recipes, but there are a few I never mastered. One of the best was her black beans. She only made that one a few times, but man that was some good stuff.

My dad was the grillmaster. I swear you could hand him some random lump of meat and he’d make it taste awesome. My grill fu isn’t that strong, but I’m working on it.

There are a couple for me…

Pork chops and sauerkraut. She would make the sauerkraut mixed with bacon and mashed potatoes. I still make it that way sometimes, but it’s never the same as mom’s.

Then there is her custard tart and her tipsy tart, both of which I have made to rave reviews but it’s still never like hers.

She used to make a Christmas cake in July and keep it in a tin and once a week she would pour a cup of brandy over it. By the time Christmas came around it was this sinfully alcoholic and just delectable cake. I have the recipe, just haven’t had the balls to actually try and make it. I might just do it this year.

When she died in 2003, the one thing I did take from the house was her favourite cookbook. It’s from the 50’s has a homemade cover and about a million handwritten recipes in it from both her and my dad. A lot of the food is stuff I grew up with them making so it’s a very important piece of family history for me. Whenever I go looking for a recipe in there I get really nostalgic and miss them both terribly.

I miss my mommy and daddy :frowning:

Fruit Salad on Cottage Cheese.

My mom makes the best fruit salad ever. And I’m going for a visit in just over 2 weeks. And it’s gonna be hot. Fruit Salad and Cottage Cheese for me! wOOt!

Depends but these days I beg my mother to make the food I used to try to skive off eating as a kid-traditional Marathi/Goan fish dishes.

Rice with daal and cuddi which is this pink sour tartish elixir made by soaking the dried skins of some tropical fruit in water with coriander and some chilis (you pour it on top of your rice with daal like lemon when the 'rents are too lazy to make cuddi)

with baigan barth (baked eggplant mashed up with chopped onions, yoghurt, chilis and coriander)

Malabar spinach bhaji with clams

Pan fried bitter gourd and plantains and

Pan fried Goan style shrimp or some exotic fish like pomphret

This is the inevitable “you’re home!” dinner my mom makes when my sister and I come home from school.

Close runner up is idle-sambaar-dosa…my mom makes amazing idlis and dosas.