If you could turn back time, what artist would you see?

Is that title too long? Does this belong in MPSIMS? I dunno. :cool:
Anyway, today on the way home I heard Janis doing Summertime, and as usual my eyes got a little wet. I never saw her in person, and I regret that to this day. Got me to wondering;
What artist (singer, band, musician etc) would you make it a point to see in person, now that it’s not possible, if you could? Even if it really cost you?
Far and away Janis Joplin would be #1 on my short list, with Nirvana coming in second back there somewhere.
Peace,
mangeorge

I’d love to hear Virgil reciting some of his own poetry.

sigh How long have you got?

Just off the top of my head -

Jimi
Soft Machine
circa 1970
New York Dolls
Velvet Underground
Iggy & the Stooges

etc

I’ll just take two tickets to Woodstock (the real one) and a time machine, please!

Also, a castrati (what’s the singular on that?), if you have one handy.

That’s the spirit!
:smiley:

The Beatles

or

Beethoven conducting his 9th Symphony

Charley Patton (1891-1934), the greatest of the Mississippi blues singers.

I’ve seen The Byrds and the Monkees live (not together )…Paul McCartney & Wings … John Denver in the Mitchel Trio …The Stones live on Brit TV … Jim Kweskin & the Jug Band, Joni Mitchell, Phil Ochs, Dave Van Ronk (wow), Arlo Guthrie and Tom Paxton BUT I want to see Pete Seegar, Noel Coward, The Benny Goodman Quartet, Judy Garland, Blind Lemon Jeferson and J.S. Bach live and unplugged. (Oh, and Groucho Marx in Concert)

I’m so old that when I think “artist” I think “painter”. Peter Paul Rubens for me.

I loved his models, they never heard the term “reducing diet” in their lives. Sigh, if I only lived 300+ years ago I’d be a supermodel. :smiley:

Deliberately picking people that no one else has…

** George Gershwin **
** Bert Williams **
** The NBC Symphony Orchestra **
** Jimmie Lunceford and His Orchestra**
** Miles Davis’ “Birth of the Cool” Nonet **
** Woody Herman and His Thundering Herd **
** Art Tatum **

And, for a non-musical choice, Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne

I’d go for broke and get front-row seats for the Ziegfeld Follies of 1918.

I’d love to see W. C. Fields, the Marx Brothers, et. al. do their live vaudeville acts.

I’d love to see/hear Michael Hedges play Aerial Boundaries one more time. Absolutely incredible guitar wizardry.

I’d like to see Michaelangelo painting the ceiling of the Cistine Chapel, and Leonardo painting the Mona Lisa.

And last, but not least - the artist(s) who painted in the Cave of Lascaux.

One castrato, two castrati.

Have you heard the recording of Alessandro Moreschi, called the Last Castrato? It’s a very unusual sound.

Tori Amos, when she was a hotel lounge singer.

Mozart
Gershwin
Rachmaninoff
A young Ella Fitzgerald
Fanny Brice
Al Jolson
Judy Garland
Nat “King” Cole
Josephine Baker

Le Petomane, of course

The Marx Brothers, definatly.

Though I wouldn’t mind seeing all the Original members of THE WHO in concert(before they got old).

Not sure if he counts as an “artist” as per the OP, but I’d love to hear Mark Twain lecture.

Shakespeare’s plays performed at the globe.

Elvis Presley

The Ramones

George Best circa 1968.