If You Like "Wordle", Try "Connections"

As you may or may not be aware, the New York Times has other games besides Wordle and they recently introduced a new daily one that is pretty good. It’s called “Connections” and the premise is you get an array of 16 words that you have to group into four groups of four but they make it tricky because there are words that can go in multiple categories. I’ve played it twice so far and it’s fun.

To get to it, if you have Wordle open on your phone, click the button with the three bars at the top left and you will be offered other games including Connections.

This is based on one of the modules of a terrific British game show called Only Connect, which I encourage everyone to watch at least once on YouTube.

The difference is that the British game show is way harder, both in terms of interconnections and the difficulty of topic, but in some ways that makes it more fun, and also way more frustrating.

We’ve been playing it for a while at our house - it’s a good one. One I liked recently had all 16 clues containing only 2 letters each.

Here’s the direct link to the connections page:

Also, I believe the date trick works to play older puzzles. Set the date on your device to a date in the past, and then when you visit the site you can play the game from that date. Just be sure to remember to fix the date afterwards :slight_smile:

My wife and I have been playing. It can be tricky when some words can fit into more than one category. And yes, the one with all two-letter clues was fun.

I believe I’ve played every game since it was introduced. I’ve solved most of them, but a couple were damn hard, with some relatively obscure groupings.

But it’s a quick 2-3 minute diversion each morning.

Connections
Puzzle #70
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:blue_square::blue_square::blue_square::blue_square:
:purple_square::yellow_square::purple_square::purple_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:purple_square::purple_square::purple_square::purple_square:

I didn’t grasp the connection for purple at all.

I enjoy it, though more so when it’s general knowledge rather than pop culture.

If you press the X on the top right to close the results window, you can see the explanation of the connection.

Purple was

Happy ____.

camper, hour, meal, medium

It tells you the connection as soon as you connect it.

It also tells you if you fail to make all the connections. Which I have discovered.

I have learned it will tell you if you repeat the same incorrect guess which is nice.

I didn’t get any of the groups today, four straight misses. That was probably the hardest one so far, for me anyway. I knew what three of the groups were but just couldn’t pick the right four for those groups.

I finally got the instruments right on my third guess. Then got another group right, but couldn’t figure out the last two. I thought that one was rather obscure, but the other one was ‘duh’!

This is the second time in the last few weeks where I tripped myself up by mistakenly thinking that a flute isn’t a woodwind, because it doesn’t have a reed.

I just started enjoying it this week. My daughter may like it as well.

There is always at least one category which is only comprised of four of the answers. Otherwise it wouldn’t be possible to complete the puzzle without guessing. Spoilers for today’s puzzle:

The “consecutive double letters” category was unambiguous. If you recognized this category you removed “bassoon” from the potential answers for “woodwinds”, which removed “flute” from the potential answers for “drink vessels”, which left only the four poets.

I’ve only played Connections sporadically. Do the games get more difficult as the week goes on, like the crossword?

This was one of them I did not get, and it was my ‘duh’ moment. I had two of the others, which would have left the four poets.

Right. And IMHO that should always be the “easy” yellow category. Not purple, like today’s puzzle.

Do the colors have any significance, other than just the order in which I solve the puzzle?

Interesting one today. I feel like I was a little lucky to get the first group.