If You Live on the East Coast Fill Up Your Gas Tank Now (Major Fuel Pipeline was Shut Down: update, now open)

And keep it filled up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pipeline-shutdown-has-had-little-impact-on-supplies-so-far/ar-BB1gxwnO

Better safe than sorry.

And Michigan is scheduled to shut down “Line 5” in a few days. It supplies eastern Canada, as well as parts of Michigan and Pennsylvania. Points east in Canada could experience a 10-15 cent increase per liter of gas. 'A very bad outcome': Enbridge warns Line 5 shutdown will hit consumers as deadline looms | Financial Post

Big Oil lost a lot of money during the heart of the pandemic shutdown because motor vehicle travel was way down, and I’m wondering how many “problems” are going to arise that are going to raise gas prices. I paid $3.19 a gallon last night, and we’re still a couple of weeks away from the Memorial Day Weekend. I have a feeling that, with the nation opening up again, gas prices are going to be very, very high this summer.

And gas prices going up will pretty much affect the price of everything that’s moved by truck. Were I inclined to conspiracy theories, I’d posit that certain elements in certain sectors would like blame for the economy to be laid upon certain leadership persons. But that’s just silly, right?

I did notice gas prices were over $3 yesterday and was wondering when that happened.

That article is typical of modern news coverage: 5% facts, 95% speculation about the terrible things that might possibly happen. Once in a while they get it right (cf. COVID), but thankfully it’s almost always exaggeration. This is one of the reasons I stopped regularly reading the news: all it does for me is tell me five new things each day that I didn’t know I needed to worry about.

The total damage depends on how long it will take to recover and resume deliveries. Some cities have had ransomware attacks and have taken weeks to fully recover:

On Morning Edition this morning they were specifically asking people to not fill up their gas tanks now, because if everyone rushes out and tops off their tanks right now whether then actually need gas or not, it’s just going to make the problem worse.

‘Big oil’ doesn’t set gas prices.

This applies in all kinds of situations. For example did anyone else here besides me stock up on toilet paper last year?

I actually stocked up on toilet paper about a month before the pandemic hit - because every year for several years I’ve plunked down some money to bulk “paper goods” in bulk for significant savings, a year’s supply at a time. If the pandemic had hit two months earlier I would have been scrabbling just like everyone else. But, like I said, I’d been doing that for several years, it wasn’t part of the sudden panic uptick.

Sure, if EVERYONE goes out and fuels up right now that will exacerbate the issue… but it’s in everyone’s self-interest to make sure they have sufficient gas. You’re asking everyone to act in an altruistic manner that not only may not benefit them, but might wind up hurting them.

I expect there will be a LOT of people at the gas station the next couple days.

I wouldn’t worry about it. We pay around $6.5 a gallon in New Zealand, it’s not the end of the world.

Yeah no. I fill my gas tank once a week. It’s a 10 gallon tank. It’s either top it once a week or hit the gas pump twice a week.

I think it’s reasonable at any time to start re-filling your gas tank when it’s down to half full. That way, if there is a delay/supply problem, you’re not likely to run out and be stranded, but you’re also not impacting the supply problem as much as if you waited until nearly empty.

Not sure just how far west this “eastern half of the US” affected extends, any word on that?

If I did fully fuel up my vehicles and carefully plan my trips I would probably have 4-5 weeks of driving available (fortunately, I live close to work) but it would be strictly “business” driving, no fun trips.

Also, if your driving is really reduced, you don’t want to let the last bit of gasoline sit in your tank for months on end – it eventually goes bad.

New Zealand is pretty much the end of the world :smiley:

SIX FIFTY?! I think I just heard the first trumpet. :flushed:

The right end! A great place, but the cost of living is high.

Biden waived some trucking restrictions in the following 17 states plus D.C.–thus these would be the states affected:

Alabama, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

Has any company or govt. organization had to pay any ransoms for these kinds of shenanigans? Reading between the lines it seems like the professionals involved w/ operating the pipeline are rebooting and recoding everything. If these schemes never actually work then why do these scumbags persist?

Yes.

Basically the companies paying ransom don’t mention this in the newspapers.