If you lived in the Marvel Universe, would you be pro-mutant?

Aren’t they the People Val Harper Called when Havok took out the Washinton Monument? Well it was Strong guy that tipped it over, but Havok blew it up.

Granted I was getting my info from Cassandra Nova in New X-Men #114 where she said homo sapiens would be extinct within four generations. She may have just been feeding that to Trask to get him to activate the Sentinels though.

Didn’t the Beast reach the same conclusion?

Side question–are kids born to mutants necessarily mutants themselvers? A “mutant” is technically a life-form that has neither of the genetic traits of its parents–in essence, a mutation in the gene structure from whence it came.

I always wondered why someone like Rachel Summers would show up in a Sentinel’s scanners. She inherited all of mom’s powers, so she technically isn’t a “mutant.” (Unless Sentinels are just in search of “powers.” Then you have a different story.)

The Sentinels probably ARE scanning for powers in general.

If you’re scared of mutants because of what they can do, wouldn’t you also be scared of invisible women?

Or the guy who can control the weather, knock down buildings with his hammer, and is so insane he thinks he’s a god?

Or the guy in the incredibly powerful armored suit, who may, at any time, be drunk out of his mind?

Today, mutants-- tomorrow… everybody else!

LOL, Vlad Dracul!

And to think, people give The Punisher such a bad time…and he’s just a human with guns, who only kills criminals.

Strangely, no. Sabertooths and Mystique’s id was not a mutant, though he was extremely intelliegnt, charismatic, and in excellent physical shape. Its happened other times, too: Magneto’s grandaughter, child of two mutants, has no powers. Although she has approximately 90% of the earth’s superbeings pledged to guard her. It seems that once you count up all of her family and their friends, most of the earth superpowered population has some reason to protect her. Heh.

They do contardict themselves. Still, from various “future” comics, it seems mutants will not overwhelm humans within the foreseeable future, and that’s not counting the futures where everybody gets blown up or imprisoned by Sentinals. Given that we’re talking about genetics here, its safe to say it isn’t going to happen within the next 10,000 years or so.

Yer damn skippy I would be. Fact is, I don’t want there to be superheroes or villains. Now, there’s no way I’m going to try and order Thor to report for registrations, given HIs powers, but the point is still there.

As much as I don’t like his methods, there’s something darned impressive about a man whjo takes on armies and minor supervillains before breakfast. Honestly, though, whom should the public fear more: SUperheroes who routinely blow away whole buildings, or a lone nut who spends his time wiping out the New York underworld?

That’s the way it works in the Real World but not in the Marvel U. There “mutant” is a byword for a person carrying an activated X-gene that gives them superpowers. People like the Fantastic Four and the Hulk had their X-genes activated artificially, but mutants were born with them like that. Rachel Summers may not be a mutant in the dictionary sense, but with her X-gene she’s certainly a mutant by MU standards.

Also, genetics are a lot more complicated than we’ve been made to believe in high school biology class. We still don’t fully understand how eye color is inherited, so I can easily believe that mutantcy can skip a generation, as in the case of Graydon Creed and Luna Maximoff (Mystique and Sabretooth’s son and Quicksilver’s daughter, respectively). The reverse holds true as well – don’t forget that most mutants do not have mutant parents but human ones.

Not necessarily.

I don’t think it is really. Growing up gay you see that type of shit happen all the time. Myself, personally, and many friends have had teachers, family, cops, friends, and strangers all turn on them when the fact that we are gay has been discovered. We aren’t particularly powerful or scary so I could see the fear/revulsion/violence escalate that much more for someone who has super powers.

For the record, I would be pro-mutant, anti-registration.

Except when they don’t. Surprise! SOmecharacters are mutants, some are artificially mutated (but not necessarily in the same way as “normal” mutants.

Also, they’ve noted that everybody on earth has the X gene in its full form. Its just that in some people it activates. And it may do so at different times. Go fig.

Well when your MOther is an Avenger, and your Father is an X-man/X-Factoinion(Founding Mem. X-Factor Ver 2.0)/Fmr Avenger/Fmr Mem. Brother Hood of Evil Mutants, your aunt is a Fmr. Avenger, Fmr. Mem Avenger West Coast, and Founding member Force Works You have a large pool of Super powered God-Parents. THen you factor in the Fact that your Grand Father is the #1 Bad Ass Mutant ANti-Hero/Villian in the history of the world, she’s got protection on both sides of the law.

Luna is not the girl to pick on in the 3rd grade.

And you sure as hell don’t want to get busted making out in her room.

MonkeyMule Words Of Wisdom: If the girl you like has a extended Faimly capibile of destroying the earth, always remember: there is no such thing as safe sex :dubious:

Just another vote for the “Hug-A-Mutant” crowd.

Not sure if I’d support registration, though – since a mutant’s powers is a part of them, isn’t this comparable to registering people for being excessively strong (because, hey, they could strangle you and all)? It might be better IMO to simply have powerful mutants in law-enforcement roles, so they can take down mutant troublemakers when the need arises.

“This is Car 54, we’ve got a guy throwing trucks downtown! Send help!”
“Copy, Car 54. Officers Titania and Grey are en route.”

That would be absolutely neccessary. However, I’d need to know exactly what they could do, how they could do it. And prefereably what all of their opposittion could do.

Quite frankly, I’m not thnking in terms of “love and freedom and the American Way”. I’m thinking in terms of avoiding global destruction. Magneto alone has come within a hairs breath of destroying cities how many times?