[QUOTE=tdn]
Carlyjay, how do you feel about customers who make simple requests?
“I’d like the steak, but can you make half of that to go right away?”
“I’d like the fish and chips, but instead of chips could I have the (on the menu) smashed cauliflower instead?”
“I’d like the pepperoni pizza. I’ll pay for the full thing, but the staff can keep half.”
“I’d like the butter-encrusted cod, but can you make it with Promise Light instead?”
These are things I might request, though I’d be prepared to hear (and live with) a no to any of them.
How unreasonable are they?
[/QUOTE]
Have you ever worked in a kitchen?
None of those “simple” requests sound bad on paper, but for one, it sounds like you’re asking the restaurant to stray from their established preparing/serving standards to do your portion/dietary control. It might mean having to get stuff out that isn’t out. It might mean having that new kid who is taught one way to do something have to think for himself (yes, that does screw things up in a kitchen under pressure.)
For instance, he gets an order for “fish & chips”. He knows. . .fish in fry basket 1, fries in fry basket 2. Five minutes each. Plate 'em up.
He doesn’t know: fish in fry basket 1. Cauliflower in steamer. Now what?
But, the other stuff isn’t necessarily simple either.
What’s the restaurant’s protocol for keeping a half pizza in back? For keeping a half steak wrapped up and waiting? For cooking something in margarine, and not butter? Is that a pan that has to be cleaned for the next guy? Do they even have margarine? Is cooking in margarine even something the guy knows how to do right?
Anything that strays from normality is just a little wrench in the works.
And it really makes one wonder why you don’t find a restaurant that meets your needs, instead of requesting another one to?
(where I’m coming from on the issue: it’s been a while but I worked in a hospital kitchen that did patient food/cafeteria food for about 4 years.)