If you're going to San Francisco

But it was so fluffy and cold and…snow!

IMO: This was worse. The person who kidnapped the protagonist was able to drive from SF to the California/Oregon border in a matter of minutes.

He paused in the long shadow of Coit Tower to light a cigarette. All around him were the sights and sounds of San Franciso, the town he knew so well: the clang of the streetcars, the smell of hot fried rice wafting across the Golden Gate bridge from Chinatown, the chitter of the hippies’ tambourines at Haight-Ashbury.

Breathing deeply the salt air of the Pacific, he wandered down the familiar switchbacks of Lombard Street toward Golden Gate Park. In front of the City Lights bookstore, he hailed a cab and slid inside.

“Castro district,” he said.

“The San Francisco treat,” muttered the cabbie grimly.

I’m not a native SF-er, but I’ve been there twice in the past 15 months - both times in mid-to-late November, so I could attend the National Novel Writing Month ‘Night of Writing Dangerously.’ I’ve also done a fair bit of the tourist stuff.

It rains quite a bit, and the weather’s generally cool and milder than the rest of Northern California. Streets are narrow, crammed with cars, and really do go up and down remarkably steep slopes.

Let me know when you come up with the next question. :smiley:

Well, even if I did try and help you, it wouldn’t be particularly true.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :smiley:

Kafka wrote a whole novel which is about, and takes place in, the States (Amerika), though he’d never been here and had no intention of ever visiting. It’s an amazing book, and quite amusing. It really has little to do with the actual country itself.

No, it was very much the City of Santa Cruz.

The whole book was filled with errors of that magnitude.

Keep going. You could well surpass Robert Heinlein (Number of the Beast) for the all-time record of ridiculous/inaccurate clichés in a single literary work.

Do tell. I could use a laugh.

Was the author from Europe? My daughter’s ex-bf, who is English, had a hard time that you don’t take a side trip to Kansas while driving West to East on 10.

I wish I could remember. I got the book from the twenty five cent shelf from a used bookstore.

Only if you are traveling in a time machine and it’s dialed to 1967. You know…when people were in motion and there was a new vibration.

Thanks. Now I’ve got that damned song stuck in my head.

Wow. I’m from Ontario and have only visited SF three times in my life, and even I can tell that’s a bit… off. :slight_smile:

It needs to be extended.

"The cab hurtled southward in the rush-hour traffic as the sun rose. They passed Army Street, and suburbs crowded the green forested hills. A sign announced the airport. They were getting close. "

Song? There’s a song? :wink:

Okay, now I have to go back at least one more time, to catch up with you. :wink:

As they pulled into the international terminal, he saw a large jet, the one that would eventually take him to freedom. It flew low, behind the graceful curves of the Golden Gate Bridge, and was silhouetted by the rising sun.

:wink:

It had to make a steep approach after clearing Mt. Whitney as it flew in from the west.

It never snows in San Francisco
But boy, don’t you wish so
It suuuuuucks
Man, it sucks

Man, I’m crying I’m laughing so hard.

But to pick a few nits. I believe it is spelled “Coitus Tower”. You somehow missed working in: refreshed from his bare chested surfing at dawn in Half Moon Bay and only 3 subway stops to Fisherman’s wharf for a fish breakfast burrito the size of his head in a little hole in the wall Mission tacqueria tucked away behind Candlestick Park.

Sounds like you guys are having fun with my little thread :smiley:

Anyways, new question. Are there any hills around the city area? Any place ideal for a nice big manor where you could see the city? Most of the story takes place with the main characters boarded up in the manor.