If you're going to San Francisco

Not really, it’s pretty flat.

And again with the fun. :slight_smile:

I suspect the trouble would be more picking a hill that’s noticeably higher than the others. I do remember that from the top of Lombard street you get a good view of the Piers and the downtown area to the east.

I think that’s Lombardi street, and the straight drop is scary, even without any hills.
:slight_smile:

Agreed - I can’t think of one hill dominating over the others… the whole place is full of hills.

Hell, I’ve only been there once, and I know the relative lack of proximity of most of these things. Didn’t get to Golden Gate Park or Haight-Ashbury, but I did actually look at a map while I was there.

What if the mansion were perched on the edge of the Mt. Sutro Palisades, squeezed in between the Cliff House and Hunter’s Point?

I’ve never lived in San Francisco (if a few motel nights don’t count :smack:) but have visited many times and have love and nostalgia for the City.

I still remember an afternoon 43 years ago, someone passing out postage stamps on Haight Street, and the only sounds I heard were the tinklings of the bells on everyone I passed, until I came to an open 2nd-story window with a Bob Dylan song further enchanting the street. I even remember the name of the song: Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again.

(I’ve better memories of the City … and other, more unbelievable, memories that would surely make one cry.)

What’s funny is the one time I was there, I took a bus from Union Square to the Presidio to Fisherman’s Wharf to Chinatown and back to Union Square. I don’t think we went up or down any hills.

Postage stamps? You didn’t happen to lick one of them, did you?

On my one visit, I decided to check out some murals. An art school has a Diego Rivera mural & Coit Tower has a bunch by his acolytes. A veteran transit rider from Houston, I got on a bus going north, then hopped off to walk a few blocks. Straight up. At the top of one heart-straining hill, I saw that the way* down* was the famous twisty Lombard street. Why, I wondered, did the city boast so many exercise studios, with so much free exercise available?

Oh, well. Houston has tanning studios…

I know what you’re thinking, but I know nothing about that, officer. I just took the postage stamp because I wanted to mail a message

(There were also times when I was all alone in San Francisco, scrounging my next meal.)

Here’s a map of the hills.

Mansions are mostly concentrated on Nob Hill and Pacific Heights, with more on Sea Cliff and St. Francis Woods (not significantly hilly). Prices of mansions are high, a 7BR 7BA is currently listed at $45 million. Better make the owner a multi-billionaire. Single family homes in middle class neighborhoods run about $1 million.

You won’t find a single hill (with houses) that can see the entire city. Which part of town do you want it to overlook? I’d go with the top of Nob Hill for a central spot with good views in a few directions. Twin Peaks (where Sutro Tower sits) is the highest point with views to most parts of the city, but there aren’t houses near the top.

Yeah–I was going to say…

No, it’s Lombard. No i.

That is a relatively flat area, although there are some steep hills in Chinatown.

Not to someone from Green Bay, it isn’t. :slight_smile: Besides, you were whooshed. Didn’t my claim of the street being “straight down” give you a clue?

Next you’ll be telling us that Mt. Whitney isn’t west of SF.

Although he lived there, he had no particular regard for San Francisco, believing it to be really no better than most other places.

…Sheesh, I can’t go on with this…

You should study San Francisco with Google Street View to establish your location and use exact street names if you like detail. You could find that neighborhood that fits perfectly. Using regular google maps, you would probably be able to find landmarks easier. All I know about SF is that gay people are more open and that you will find people smoking weed openly too. That’s what I’ve heard at least.

Doesn’t need to overlook the whole city, of course. It doesn’t even really matter which part of the city :smiley: The main points are that the manor is not in the heat of downtown and that it’s situated on some sort of hill. Proximity to the ocean isn’t necessary and the further away the neighbors are, the better.

Also, if I didn’t mention it already, the manor doesn’t need to be an existing one, it would actually be better if it wasn’t. And the price doesn’t matter :smiley: So basically I’m looking for an empty lot of land here :wink:

EDIT: Nicely thought about the Street View, I’ll definitely use that :slight_smile:

I’ve only been a few times, well, only a few times where I walked around and saw much of anything. The last time I took a walking tour of Chinatown (which has to be set up ahead of time) and visited here. It’s in an area with a bunch of little museums. The next time I go, I’m going to visit it again.