If You're Old Enough...

If you’re old enough to remember when Dilbert was funny, you’re Generation Y.

If you’re old enough to remember when Garfield was funny, you’re Generation X.

If you’re old enough to remember when Peanuts was funny, you’re a baby boomer.

If you’re old enough to remember when Blondie was funny, you’re dead.

:smiley:

“Peanuts” is still funny; “Garfield” has been funny about three times. (Here’s one (paraphrased from memory): a litte baby bird hops up to Garfield and says, “Excuse me, sir, have you seen my Uncle Pete?” Garfield answers, “I don’t know. What does he taste like?”)

If you’re old enough to remember when “Cathy” was funny, you’re from an alternate universe.

If you’re old enough to vote, you have been jaded to the whole process for years.

I was in Fifth grade in 1989. All my friends and I loved Garfield books and thought they were hilarious. Does this make me Gen X?

I think kids today still like Garfield.

He was, of course, never really funny.

“Garfield” was never funny; Never, ever, ever. if, on the other hand, you’re old enough to remember when “Bloom County” made savagely funny mockery of Garfield (in the form of Bill the Cat), then you’re generation X.

And if you remember The Academia Waltz, you had a friend at UT.

If you remember when The Simpsons was funny, you’re disappointed every Sunday.

If you remember when Benny Hill was on daily TV following Tom & Jerry, you’re Gen X.

And from eastern Massachusetts.

Dilbert was quite funny a couple of times this week. You need to be old enough to have worked in a hierarchy to understand it.

When Garfield first came out of the inkwell, he was only occasionally funny. Jim Davis has a heckuva franchise going, and his fans are satisfied with drollity.

Charles Shulz is dead, and everything you see now is something I saw the first time. These “classic” Peanuts strips are not being run in order, and the gags that took a few days to play out are lost.

I do remember when Blondie was funny, but I’m not yet dead. [Ratso Rizzo] Hey! I’m walkin’ heah![/Ratso Rizzo] I wasn’t around when Dagwood was rich and Blondie was his girlfriend. They already had both kids when I was a kid, and Daisy was one of several dogs that all looked about the same. Dagwood hadn’t met Elmo E. Elmo yet. A running gag was Dagwood’s reaction to some crazy turn of events. In the last panel, he’d be in the kitchen, pouring a shaky stream of coffee into a cup. Blondie was still a stay-at-home mom, not working in the Deli-Catering shop.

I was born in August of 1949. I learned to read at age three, and I’ve been following comic strips ever since. When Dad read the funnies at the breakfast table, I read the folded-over part of the comics page from the other side of the table. For a while, I read better upside-down than right-side-up.

If you are really Gen X, you were likely watching re-runs of both of these, I’m afraid…

I didn’t say they were first run. But they were what seemed, even at the time, to be an odd juxtaposition. :smiley:

What did the big flower say to the little flower?

Hiya bud!

I thought that joke was hilarious when I was four, and tormented my older sister by telling it to her 50 times a day.

It had more to do with my age, than the year.

Dilbert’s supposed to be funny? I thought it was a documentary. :wink:

If you’re old enough to remember when L’il Abner and Pogo were considered sharp, satirical commentaries on society, you’re now looking for insurance to protect you against robots who eat old people’s medicine.

Never missed Pogo. And, about the medicine…you been reading my mail?

Who cares about old comic strips anyway?

The Greatest Generation?

“Who cares about (insert the name of anything people of lesser cool might like) anyway?”

You guys might want to check the batteries on your irony scanners and then run them over my username again. If you hear a whooshing sound you’ll know it’s working.

If you remember when there were no reruns on tv, and you assumed that everything you watched would be lost forever . . . you’re either a very old boomer or . . .

What would be the name of the generation sort of wedged between the Greatest Generation and the Boomers? The Post-War Generation? The Fifties Generation?