Ignorant cooking question: "Heating instructions" means "heating not cooking", right?

I have no brain and I must host a dinner party…

Due to an unexpected acceptance rate, I’m cooking for ~10 people tonight. I’m mostly ok (I’m doing my one competant dish, a pasta bake, together with a number of partially- and pre-made things: readily-biriyani’d rice, just add curry powder, garlic potato wedge sauce, salad, french & garlic bread. That is, everything that can be prepared before, and popped into the oven at T - x minutes. And then people can help themselves to a mix.) but I wanted to check: “Heating instructions” on a can implies the thing is cooked, or doesn’t need to be, but just needs to be hot so it tastes good, right? Specifically, could be added directly to a pasta bake before baking?

Thanks, guys.

Yes, if the can just says “heat,” it means the contents are already cooked and okay to eat.

(Gotta know, though – what’s the mystery ingredient?)

What is “garlic potato wedge sauce” and what do you put it on? And what kind of cooking process is “biriyani” that something can be “readily-biriyani’d”?

Eh? Who said anything about a mystery ingredient?

Biryani no doubt originally meant something else, but now, to me at least, means a sort of spicy rice thing with some veg in. By “ready-” I mean that it comes in a packet, which you fry for 1 min, and boil with water for 20, and then it’s ready.

The potato things is a coating, you cut potatoes into wedges, and mix with this and oil, and then bake for 45 minutes, and get crispy potato wedgy things.

Shade, what is the thing in the can with the “heating instructions” label? THAT is the mystery ingredient. Sure, it’s no mystery to you, but it’s a mystery to the rest of us.

A recipe for the pasta bake might be nice too… hint, hint. :wink:

Oh, sorry. That was just a variety of canned veg for the bake, specifically beans, sweetcorn and peas.

I’m not sure I’d dignify what I do as a recipe, but in case you’re still curious:

Find a baking tin.
Fill half-full of pasta. Pour this pasta into a pan and boil until soft (following instructions on packet if necessary).
Cook a variety of veg. of approximate volume of the other half of the tin. Some combination of onions (fried), mushrooms (fried), beans, peas, sweetcorn pieces or baby, mange-tout, carrots, brocoli, cauliflower, or whatever comes to hand.
Beat some eggs.
Add some seasoning to taste: salt, pepper, garlic, pesto, curry, whatever.
Mix everything made so far bar 1/5 of the eggs up in a big bowl (or two smaller bowls, or the tin).
Coat tin with oil and pour everything in. Squish into a good shape.
Grate or crumble breadcrumbs and cheese on top.
Pour rest of eggs over.
Put in oven for 30-45 minutes.
Wash up.