Illegal Immigration is Congress' Fault?

Two cabinet level officers, Chertoff and Gutierrez, announced thatincreased efforts to curb illegal immigration will be made and said it is “all we can do” in the absence of action by Congress.

It seems to me though that these actions are within current law and require no action by congress. Any president could have done this at any time. Over the past many years no president has made much effort to enforce border security or hold employers strictly to the rules. To now start an effort, however modest, and take a swipe at congress over a related but entirely different subject, what to do about those here and provide for a worker program, is scurrilous partisanship. Would they have made the same crack at congress if it were still run by Republicans?

In fact, weren’t most of the Democrats in favor of the president’s immigration program? Wasn’t it waylaid by mostly Republicans?

Wouldn’t it be a good idea for the executive to go about seeing that the immigration laws that exist be faithfully executed?

All I can say is, this is a bunch of political election year horse manure. Who has controlled the White House and Congress the last two administrations? They are just trying to shift the blame away from themselves. That is all.

Immigration reform was the single good thing I could ever have said about Dubya during his entire regime.

Allowing this back-door sweep to happen proves that Dubya has even less than the spine of a jellyfish.

Normally, this would piss me off - but history has shown that this too will blow up in his face.