[QUOTE=Viridiana]
Dammit, on preview I see in-depth explanations of my main point, but here it is anyway in case it helps:
I’m not minded to call anyone in particular out, but you guys can’t say no illegal immigrants pay any taxes or insurance because you don’t know. I’m not going to put my foot in my mouth and claim ‘most’, knowing how small a percentage of the country’s population I personally deal with, but there are tons of illegals here who do. They do it with a fake SSN…
[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily.
I’ve worked in the US twice. The first time I went there to do a job that no American wanted. Well, one American did: out of more than 100 applications to be a Graduate Student in Chemistry at that University for that year, only one was from an American.
I got my SSN. Legally. I worked with it and paid taxes with it for 3 years at the Uni, followed by 1 year at a regular company.
Then the company said they would not give me the letter I needed in order to renew my work permit. They still wanted me to work for them… just not without a permit. In Miami this is sadly very common; many of the immigrants there do not have the option of going back home, like I did. If you let your work permit expire without submitting the paperwork for the next one and keep on working, then you’re illegal. Even if it’s not your fault but your employer’s fault. Then the have you by the short hairs: if you say you’re leaving (this company was bleeding people left and right, between firings and leavers), they say “oh, I have INS’s number right here!” I would still have paid taxes and the SSN would have been mine, legally acquired. Just not legally used any more.
Second time, I worked illegally for the first five months. I did have a SSN, from before. And a Visa-cum-work-permit (one of those obtained by a company to bring in an employer with specialized knowledge).
But I needed to renew my SS card, since the old one had that “restricted employement” stamp on it. If you’re not a US citizen, you can only renew your US-SS card from within the US; I could not renew it before entering the country. I got off the plane, got my luggage, dropped it off at the hotel and headed straight for the nearest SS office.
And they told me it would take at least two months and not to worry until three. Whaaaaaat? The first card had taken less than 10 days! Ah. but the first one was obtained before the CIA had to check SS-card applications by foreign nationals :smack: It was the CIA check that took five months. For a document that I was supposed to show to my employer’s HR during the first two weeks of employment… So, again, I was breaking the law. Only, maybe the US government could take some consideration to crafting laws that can actually be complied with*? Just sayin’ - both me and INS, whose employees have complained quite a few times about similar problems.
- Yes, I realize that in theory I could have gone to the US five months before, applied for a new SS card, given the address of some US coworker (since you must provide a US address and phone number) and not entered the country “for real” until I had it. But that’s quite a theory.
PS: nice username, Viridiana.