I'm a MAN

I believe the version of this most commonly played on the radio is Muddy Waters, but I can’t find it online. There’s someone in the background yelling “Yeah” and such. Does anyone know what that is? It just sounds so…sincere. And I’d like to know.

I think the song’s actually called “Mannish Boy”, and afaik the people shouting and hollering are just the band members being all “into it” and such.

The Blues are more feeling than music. The music is incidental, really. It sounds sincere because it is.

The version you hear most is from an album Muddy Waters did near the end of his life. Johnny Winter put together a band (to include Pinetop Perkins but I forget who else) with himself on guitar. I think Johnny wanted to get the best of Muddy Waters recorded with a good band in a good studio. Much of Muddy’s earlier recordings lft much to be desired in the production quality department. The guy you hear yelling “Yeah!” in the background is Johnny Winter.

Found it on Amazon. The album is called Hard Again . I have it around here somewhere but most of my music is still in boxes from the move. On of the reviews on Amazon say that Winter just produced and engineerd it but I seem to remember he played on it too.

Bit of a hijack, but for years, that song confused the hell out of me. When Muddy’d get to the part where he spelled “man,” I always thought he was spelling it “mhin.” Couldn’t figure out what the heck that was about, until I finally realized that he wasn’t saying, “H, I,” he was saying, “A, chile.”

Muddy Waters performing “Mannish Boy” with the Band and Paul Butterfield during the Last Waltz is something to behold. I though ol’ Muddy was goint to have a heart attack right there on the stage.

Muddy Waters performing “Mannish Boy” with the Band and Paul Butterfield during the Last Waltz is something to behold. I thought ol’ Muddy was goint to have a heart attack right there on the stage.

Yup, Mannish Boy is the one. Hoo, boy.

Harmonica: James Cotton
Piano: “Pine Top” Perkins
Drums: Willie “Big Eyes” Smith
Guitar: Bob Margolin
Harmonica: Walter “Shakey” Horton
Guitar: Jimmy Rogers
and more!

Here’s a picture of the band.

You know they must be great Blues musicians if they have stupid nicknames.