I'm done with the non-profit world.

Seriously, I have to put up with the same bullshit as someone working a corporate job, but I get paid probably 30% less. I get to sleep secure at night that I’m making the world a better place, but when we have the same insane compensation discrepancies and wasteful spending as in the corporate world, I really have to wonder how much of our money is going to just keep the business running vs. how much of it is actually going toward our altruistic goal. I’m tired of 403(b) with no matching, shit-ass health coverage with high deductibles and no dental, no Christmas bonus, doo-doo vacation hours.

After 10 years, I’m over it. The NP world is bullshit. Goodbye!

Wow, where do you work? 'Round these parts, nonprofits are the place to be. I work for a 501©(3), and while management B.S. is what it is anywhere you go, I have full medical, dental, vision, and 4:5 401k match. Pay doesn’t suck, either. I’m told I’m paid in the upper 20% of median range for my job, but I’d be interested to see where they got that number, since I really doubt many places have an analogue for what I do (and even if they did, you couldn’t put a label on it). I’m pretty happy.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you…I know the peace that comes with realizing your work is doing something good instead of further enriching some pragmatist fuck, and the pain that comes with having to compromise that in order to eat. Best of luck finding something new.

My wife is almost to the point where the OP is. The pay is sesriously BS. For her, the joy she gets from the actual work she does outweighs the sacrifices she makes (I suppose itr helps that my salary can handle it) in other areas. But it is not a certain thing all the time.

Wow, I am almost where the OP is. Small world I guess.

waves hand in front of OP Go be ye productive and commit the sin of altruism no more. Amen. sprinkles holy Mountain Dew on OP

You selfish bastards! Don’t you care? What about the cause? Are you just going to sell out the rest of the world and focus on, what, your family?*** Yourself***?

I used to get ‘the lecture’ from my boss who was actually making a livable wage. Then, in two successive organizations, it turned his boss was really pocketing the money that me and my coworkers had collected by going door-to-door when it was 30 below zero.

The only not-for-profits that I’ve found have no more than a few dozen members. It’s the same reason communism didn’t work.

I’ve been there, Freejooky. One of my biggest complaints about the non-profit world is that they basically depend on employees having spouses with good salaries and benefits. And you can love and believe in the work you do, but at the end of the day, you still have to pay the light bill and go to the dentist.

The only true non - profit organizations are staffed by volunteers.

wishing you luck in your upcoming job search!

I was where the OP was back in 2000. Obnoxious donors, crap pay, and horrible management. Plus, charity navigator lists the top 3 salaries of non-profit execs. When I saw those salaries, I hit the roof and quit.

And I was in the OP’s shoes back in 2001 – although as an engineer for a technical non-profit, my salary and benefits were somewhat better.

When I got downsized, I swiftly realized they’d given me the excuse I needed to stop fighting against their bullshit. Went into the real work world, got a job paying +40% more, and only regretted not leaving years earlier.

Everyone at my old job was perplexed why I wasn’t upset.

I was the executive director for a nonprofit homeless shelter for over a decade and the politics of local funding were a nightmare that pitted every program against each other to compete for grants. The way that some agencies behaved would leave corporate competition in the dust. People bitched every time that I gave my staff a raise but they were almost all homeless people themselves and they weren’t going to get off the streets by making minimum wage at a part-time job with no benefits. The point was to get them off the streets, not to have a big pool of slave labor. I always kept our percentage of admin costs below 10% but any number of local programs ran at about 25%. That’s just a disgusting ripoff IMO and I can understand why so many people don’t trust nonprofits to make good use of their donations. I took a 25% pay cut to start the place but I saw lots of EDs making more money that any equivalent private job would pay. Eventually their goals became to sustain their own employment instead of sustaining their clients. Even though it rarely happens I’ve always thought that the goal of a good nonprofit should be to go out of business and no longer be needed.

I quit when I turned 40 because I was burning out and getting older with no savings or benefits to speak of but even though it could be a pain in the ass I would do it again in a heartbeat. Watching people get their lives together was addicting and I never got sick of that part. Politics, on the other hand, is something that I never want to get close to again. Blech.

So you going to change your name to Showmethemoneyjooky?

I’ve been volunteering with the same non profit for almost two years. We have a ton of volunteers and a very small staff. Last year I was fairly close to that staff, spent some time talking to them and getting to know them before/after my “shift”.

I was absolutely appalled at how terribly they were treated. Terrible pay, terrible benefits, and the non profit had no loyalty to them. When the non profit was taken over by a larger organization, the entire staff was fired and replaced, after they had been told that such a thing wouldn’t happen.

I like volunteering, but no thanks. No interest in working in those kind of conditions.

I’m going into nonprofit management.

I currently work for an excellent nonprofit. We get great benefits and plenty of paid time off, and while the salary isn’t sky-high, it’s at least competitive. Oh, and then there are all the wonderful people I work for. It has really inspired me to help organize a successful nonprofit, one run with good business policies, that makes expectations, power structure and policy completely transparent, and that avoids the breakdown that so many nonprofits experience as a result of, from my perspective, piss-poor organization.

Your experience is exactly the reason I want the job I do. It might not be for you. I’m just saying, we could always make things better.