I'm Engaged!

You’re quite welcome! You are one of the Dopers I admire on the boards; you are one of the Dopers who opened my eyes to the fact that strong religious believers can in fact be good people, respecting and listening to others, and giving of themselves, rather than only being coercive authoritarian cultural imperialists. I’ve learned a lot on these boards, and that was one of the important parts.

Siege, what awesome news. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer Doper. Congratulations to you and the gentleman :). Many, many years of happiness and love to both of you.

Congrats! I can’t wait to hear the story up to and including the wedding unfold!

Congratulations!! As a newlywed myself, I can tell you that you will be nervous, but it’s okay! I was nervous too–I didn’t show it (still don’t)–but it’s the greatest day of my life.

Take it in stride, plan the wedding as how you and the groom want it planned, and have a ball! Make sure you and he have your fingers in all of the planning, and don’t leave it to chance. We did ours simply and in-depth, but had no surprises but the weather. Trust me, do what you want!

Tripler
Married for about a week and a half, been loving it for nigh on six months.

And also remember that while you may make the arrangements for your folks to come over from the Auld Countrie, still they are all presumably grownups, and if they can’t figure out how to get from Point A to Point B in a timely fashion, it’s not your problem. IOW, if their hotel or plane reservations develop glitches the day before the wedding, don’t waste any time or energy agonizing over it–just instruct them briskly to “figure it out”, and get on with your wedding stuff. You have enough on your plate without spending the day before your wedding on the phone talking to travel agents on behalf of relations who really ought to be able to do it themselves.

This also applies to the wedding guest who left his good suit in the closet back home. It’s not your problem to arrange for him to obtain another one. He’s a grownup, let him figure it out.

Or he can just wear his tracksuit.

The biggest and commonest trap that brides fall into is visualizing themselves as the Hostess at some kind of party, like it’s their duty to make sure everyone has a good time, has enough to eat, has a ride to the reception, has a place to sleep and enough blankets, etc.

It’s not. You are not a hostess and this is not a party. You just focus on getting married. Other than very basic arrangements (“we will have the reception here, and we will eat this…”), let others take care of the details. As I said, they’re grownups, they’ve been looking after themselves for a long time now.

ETA: Of course, it is good form to saunter around at the reception and say hello to everyone, but it’s not your job to see that they get a cab back to their hotel. Let other people do that for them.

Sounds like a blast! Did you set a date yet??