I'm going househunting Wednesday; what questions should I ask?

Good Luck on the whole thing.
Sounds like I will pass on your area for potential future retirements areas.
High Heat and Humidity and still all the wonders of snow.
At least the West Virginia mountains never get really hot and cool off almost every night. Of course my wife will probably convince me to retire near Orlando anyway.

Jim

One thing I recommend - go to visit after a rainstorm and check the basement. Our rental house had a basement that flooded. We did this for the house we wanted to buy, and discovered that the owner had tons of electronics equipment sitting on the floor. We figured the basement was dry, and we were right.

Also, check fit and finish. How are the doors hung? Are all the sockets straight? I second the run the water experiment - you might check how fast the water heats up, and how much the pressure drops with lots of taps on. Look for water marks.

As for the price - heh - I live in the Bay Area now, and my garage would cost more than that.

Except for the $300 extra the seller would pay in commission, you mean.

Mental note…move to Baltimore once retired.

I’m not even going to tell you what people pay in a nice suburb of Chicago for 3br2ba.

I think your head would explode.

Must investigate MO and MD. Mental note…incliude other “M” states as well.

-Cem

Famous Pit Thread pre-statement.

Maybe modify mention of moving to Maryland, Cemetery (my main man!). Market is a mite bit maniacal, minus means of said market making itself more modest or manageable. :wink:

My $235k steal is, as I mentioned, partway between Baltimore and DC, and quite firmly within Baltimore’s influence when it comes to jobs and social activities. The obvious question is when BiblioCat purchased her little slice of suburbia.

It was twelve years ago, and was what is politely referred to as a “Handyman’s Special” or “A Real Fixer-Upper!” or “In Need of a Little TLC!”
Yeah, you get the idea.

The place hadn’t had anything done to it for 20 years and had been inhabited by heavy smokers with incontinent dogs. The smell was …interesting.
It needed new everything.
We could sell it today for maybe $250,000 or so.

Just to emphasize what others have said:

1. Take notes.

2. Do not trust real estate agents. They’ll lie like rugs to get sales through.

3. Get an inspection, but follow the inspector around. Hire one yourself.

4. Inspect EVERYTHING. The inspector will look for major issues like structural damage, water damage, stuff that could cause serious problems. They don’t tend to look for things like “does the bedroom cloor latch right” and stuff.

5. Get a lawyer who is local and who has experience helping buyers.

6. Do the fit and finish thing.

7. Make sure it is very clear what appliances you are getting. Make sure you know how old they are.

8. Go by the place at 10 PM on a Friday and a Saturday, if you can, to see if the area’s noisy.