I'm gonna get leid

Through work, I am being forced to go to Hawaii for a week in February.

I’ll be staying at the Ritz Carlton on Maui. I’ve signed up for scuba diving (yes, I’m certified), hiking and deep sea fishing, but I’ll have more time to do other stuff.

Any suggestions? Where can I pick up cute surfer boys? Any dopers in Hawaii? Any things I must see or do?

Thanks for your help.

Formerly unknown as “Melanie”

Take the road trip to Hana, through one of the tour-van companies. Ask if Gary Tam is one of their drivers, he’s a hoot!

Hana itself is a hole-in-the-wall, but the route there goes through forests, cliffside roads, deserts, waterfalls—gorgeous!

Gotta go to at least one leahu…luow…leuo…Hawaiian party.

Maybe you can pick up one of them oiled-down guys who juggle torches.

Have fun!

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

I think that EvilGhandi is in Hawaii.

“Fester, fester, fester…rot, rot, rot.”

I’ve always had kind thoughts for you, Mel, but posting a statement like that on a day when it’s snowing in Seattle has moved you to the top of my least favorite poster list.

There is, however, one way you can redeem yourself. Make sure your flight stops in Seattle and bring a very large suitcase. Drill some airholes in it.

That’ll do, pig. That’ll do.

I’m so jealous! Got room in your suitcase? I’ll do your laundry! I’ll bring you Mai-Tai’s by the pool!

I think you should sue your company on the grounds of mental cruelty.

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge…others just gargle.

I think you should just take sue with you…she is looking for warm weather… brrrr its a balmy -27 here today with the windshield :wink:

We are, each of us angels with only one wing,and we can only fly by embracing one another

Thanks for all of your kind words and suggestions! (fake smile)

I’ll print out this thread before I leave and shove it in my suitcase, so a piece of all of you will be with me. How’s that?

Actually my layovers are in LA (to) and San Fran (from). I wish I was going to Seattle - I love that town.

I’m excited to go (obviously my OP was laced with sarcasm), but not terribly excited to hang out with co-workers all week. I mean, they’re great and all, but I wish I was going with my friends or family.

So, I need to be kept busy. Keep the ideas coming!

P.S. I love the idea of rolling around on the sand with a big, greasy torch juggler.
Would he be wearing a loincloth?

Formerly unknown as “Melanie”

wow, sue, if it’s -27 w/ the windshield, what would it be if the windshield were removed?

Not if you’re doing it right :wink:

Sax: Probably a grass skirt.

You could smoke it, afterwards. < rimshot! >

I’d recomend at least one day of doing absolutly nothing, except hanging out on the beach, sipping your favorite beverage.

I like the idea of my words going with you. Maybe I can catch some Hawaiian vibes over here.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

I was forced to attend a business meeting in Hawaii. In Honolulu though. My best advice is that you should develop as many contacts over there as you possibly can and then apply for as many jobs as they can steer you to. Believe me, you will NOT want to leave those beautiful Islands for the rest of your life. Hands down, the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

I’ve heard that it’s extremely difficult and dangerous to juggle greasy torches. My friend lost his eyebrows that way.

Ya just gotta ride a bike down a mountain. I found this tour , but I went with another operator. Was it Biker Bob’s? Or was that on another island? It’s been 12 years or so.

At any rate, they haul you up the mountain in a minivan, and you all but coast down. Beautiful, tons of fun, and you’ll meet nice people.

Oh, and BunnyGirl, heck, if that’s a standing offer, I’ll take you to Hawaii!

I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you meddling kids!

Hmmmm, Hawaii.

Take me! Take me! Then I’ll be able to say that Alaska is the only state I haven’t spent the night in.

(Of course, could just get a girlfriend named Alaska… :stuck_out_tongue: )

>>Being Chaotic Evil means never having to say your sorry…unless the other guy is bigger than you.<<

—The dragon observes

Chris is correct, I do indeed reside in Hawaii. Unfortunatly I live on Oahu, not Maui so I can’t be of much use as a guide this time around. Damn ocean.

As far as activities go, the choices are as varied as your interests. Being that the primary industry on maui is tourism, the local business cater to just about every whim. I do believe the bike ride down the volcano is no more, due to liability problems.

I’ve never been to Maui, but if you get the chance to do some island-hopping, don’t pass up the big Island. There’s nothing quite as awe-inspiring as watching lava flow from an active volcano.

Enjoy! My wife and I had fun there last month!

Chaim Mattis Keller
cmkeller@compuserve.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Definitely do the sunrise from the top of Haleakela (sp?). It is a helluva view. Bring warm clothes. The downside is that you have to wend your way up many miles of narrow hairpin mountain road in the dark and early. This is the same road that they take the bikes down. That looked like a pretty risky entertainment – all it would take is one bemused tourist in a station wagon to wipe out an entire tour group.
Hiking the cone of the (extinct) volcano looked like it would be fun.

If you can get over to Honolulu the Arizona memorial is very moving. Also, docked across from it is a WWII fleet boat, the Bowfin, which had a superb submarine combat record; it’s a self guided tour through the boat, and then the museum is interesting, too!

Aloha!

VB

TANSTAAFL!