[QUOTE=Red Barchetta]
The best deal I’ve found was a studio apartment for a thousand, though for just two-hundred more, I can get a 1-bedroom.
Are there any better deals within 15 miles of Brisbane? My maximum price is $1,200 monthly, though anything lower would be ideal, regardless of how little space there may be.
[/quote]
I’d be very surprised if you did find any better deals.
Oh, and if you eventually think about buying a place, be prepared for even more sticker shock than you got on the rent…
How have you heard that the weather is bad?
It is cool and foggy. But there’s no snow or anything like that. It will only rain in the winter.
The thing that throws off most people who move to the Bay Area from elsewhere is how locally variable the weather is. I’m originally from Maryland, near DC. If you look at weather forecasts most days, DC, New York, and Boston are probably within a few degrees of each other, even though they’re hundreds of miles apart. The Bay Area isn’t like that- there are lots of local microclimates, so the high temperature in San Francisco can be 60 while the high inland of the hills in Walnut Creek (where I live) is 90. Walnut Creek is within commuting distance of SF (well, it’s a long commute, but people do it).
Traffic is bad. Try to get flex-time so you can adjust your schedule to avoid the worst of it, or get into a carpool. Our carpool lanes work differently than they do in LA- most of them require you to have two or more people (though the 80 and the Bay Bridge require 3), and they’re only carpool lanes at certain times during the morning and evening commutes.
Parking in San Francisco is usually next to impossible. I never drive into San Francisco- if I’m going there, I take BART and Muni to get around, so I don’t have to look for parking. It is, however, one of the easiest places to live without a car, or to minimize your driving, if that’s what you like. It is, by the way, very much worth your while to get an apartment that comes with a reserved parking space rather than one that requires you to get street parking or that has free-for-all parking in a lot or garage. Parking spaces that are numbered are usually reserved, by the way, and taking someone else’s reserved space without their permission is a no-no.
When you fly back home (or wherever), fly out of Oakland instead of SFO if you can, especially in the winter. SFO is very prone to weather-related delays, and it’s not that unusual for SFO to have hours-long weather-related delays while Oakland has no delays at all.