I'm not giving up my seat

The same goes for them. They could of come early as we did, and gotten any seat they wanted. Not show up 5 minutes into the movie, and demand a prime seat.

It’s not a battle. Scooching over a seat isn’t the end of the world and would have saved everyone the annoyance of the distracting couple, but no, you decided to be petty and ruin the experience of everyone else in the theater who got to listen to you argue with the latecomers.

The people wanting the seats are the assholes and the OP was perfectly in the right not to move.

I’ve been late to a movie and ended up sitting in crapping seats. Suck it up buttercup and stop being entitled assholes. The world doesn’t owe you prime seats because you are you.

What are you talking about? Because she didn’t move it FORCED them to be assholes and yell and cuss and text during the movie. Wow, I must have been asleep that day in physics when we were learning the laws of physics because I don’t remember that one at all.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think there’s any reason to shift the blame off of the people who started the mess. There’s no excuse for people who arrive AFTER the movie has started to interrupt someone else’s viewing in order to ask them to move. The reasonable, non-petty thing for them to have done would have been to just sit their asses down in two adjacent open seats, which were apparently plentiful. That should have been the beginning and end of it.

I politely said a simple “No, I’m sorry” both times.

I could not “scooch” I would of had to stand up and move.

I am wondering if people are actually reading my OP, or scanning it. Are we missing that I would then sitting next to a person who also sick? That the people endlessly texted on top of their earlier rudeness?

Your SO could stand up, move past you, and take the seat between you and the sick person.

I’m wondering if you’re bothering to read all the replies.

Refusing to comply with a minor and harmless request caused a situation that would otherwise have been quick, simple and conflict free to become a long, annoying conflict. I’m not saying that the late-comers handled the situation well (they clearly didn’t) but that doesn’t mean that the OP did either.

It doesn’t seem like a logistical nightmare for you and your SO to move in such a way as to leave the the late-comers sitting next to the person with the cold. There are four seats to maneuver in; finding a way to fit four people without you being in the one you want to avoid should be easy. Slightly more complicated, sure, but not rocket science.

EDIT: In fact, you could probably have used your illness to send them away. “Sorry, I’m just getting over a cold; I’d rather not have anyone sitting too close and pass it on.”

And this is why I don’t enjoy going to the movies anymore. If I’d been anywhere in that theater I’d be royally PO’d at the lot of you.

Standing up, the horror.

If sickness was your only concern a/ 3 feet make little to no real difference and b/you could have moved to the empty rows if that was such a concern. Your concern was to not share space, not to avoid infection.

I’ve never seen anyone refuse to move over in a theatre unless reserving space for someone. Maybe it’s different elsewhere, but you would be the one acting outside social norms in my area. They obviously reacted badly, but they shouldn’t have had to worry about reacting badly in the first place.

Otara

If either of these is in anyway a problem to you you should not watch movies in public theatres.

Shifting seats in a theater to accomodate a couple is a very common courtesy. The couple was probably in shock that they were being denied such a courtesy.

So I am obligated to fulfill all requests that come my way? The word “no” should be scratched from my vocabulary? My comfort should always be less important than a late stranger, who, the horror, would not have a prime seat?

Good to know.

If the cinema had been full the two late-comers would have had cause to get annoyed.

Showing up late and then expecting others to acquiesce to their entitled whining while there are still plenty of free seats is asshole behaviour.

I deserved to be cussed out. Also go to know.

These people bear no responsibility whatsoever?

No means no. They should of then moved on with their lives.

In a full (or fullish) theater, you move.

In a not-full theater, you stay.

Apparently this behavior is common in planes, to the point where people are asked to give up their seats that the selected well in advance so groups can sit together. Uh no. I would do only for a small child and parent, or the disabled, etc. That’s it. Just some group of adults? Nope. I am afraid of flying and sensitive of where I sit. (No window seats, etc.) Obviously a couple, I would try, but they had the option of picking a seat early, just like these people had the option of coming to the theater early. SO and I actually went to a later show than originally planned, so we could get a good seat, and not rush through dinner.

I’m simply flabbergasted that you’re from New York City. In case anybody wonders why NYCers get a bad rap, point them to this thread.

They came late and there were actually seats available where no one would have to move to accommodate them? They should have sat in those seats.

If there were absolutely no seats anywhere else in the theater, then it I think it’s polite to move to let two people sit together.

…And I would have.