I'm pitting Amazon's search engine

I use AdGuard, and I don’t,

Good to know.

Did you try Googling “Oppenheimer Blu-Ray on Amazon”? You may get results this way.

You should Google when you can’t find what you want on Amazon. Because while Amazon is purposely making it difficult to find what you specifically asked for, Google won’t!

Google will almost always produce, as first link, the exact product listing you were hoping to locate on Amazon.

It really saves a lot of time and aggravation. Try it and see.

No kidding. Google found it right away. Why the fuck can’t Amazon show me? I have money, people! Take my money!

If you spell blu-ray correctly, The Oppenheimer region free Blu-ray is at the top of the list.

Yeah this is what I assume it is most of the time. Google suffered from this for a while when people realized how it was indexing by just scraping words on a page, so everyone crammed a bunch of words on pages to shoot to the top of the index. It took many years and much refining for them to tone it down and get meaningful results again. Even now it’s not bulletproof - plenty of crap sites make their way to the top.

With Amazon I’m sure they are letting vendors choose keywords and categories and it’s being exploited to extremes. But Amazon is a shipping logistics company right now, not a search engine company, so I don’t know if they’re ever going to get around to fixing this. And I don’t know if they care or want to fix it. We’re all still buying shit on Amazon - we eventually find what we (thought we) were looking for.

Amazon helpfully auto fill suggested “Oppenheimer bluray”. If I can’t trust Amazon…

Besides, I spelled DVD correctly, and nothing came up there, either. :slight_smile:

In Amazon’s world, DVD spelled correctly is [DVD] :crazy_face:

Are the brackets the snap case?

One very specific thing I note with Amazon: if you change your search order to show the lowest price first, often cheaper items you already saw get left out. That is what makes me think it is deliberate. Re-sorting the same results shouldn’t cause that.

I did notice that once or twice in Walmart’s search, too. Usually a slightly different search will fix it. But it happens every time with Amazon. And that’s without considering when they slip in results that aren’t in the pricing order–often the first five or so items are more expensive.

I can buy the idea that sellers can grease their ranks above more useful results. I don’t see how they can cause other items to disappear in a list that is ordered by price.

I can’t imagine even contemplating buying clothing for my gf. Socks, maybe, but pants? No way. You’ve totally bamboozled me.

Oh, yes. Start the search with a brand name and get tons of crap listed that aren’t that brand.

I will buy my wife socks, or a shirt or sweater, those aren’t too difficult. I bought her a baseball jersey for her birthday this month (she’s a huge baseball fan). Pants though, I have zero confidence in my ability to buy her a pair of pants that will fit and be comfortable and that she’ll like. And if you’re off a bit, ugh. Too big, how big do I think she is?! Too small, ugh, am I trying to kill her? I mean, she’d be nice about it, she’s a wonderful person and would appreciate my efforts I guess, but it would be stupid for me to even try. That’s also discounting the way the pants hang, how long they are… There are a billion ways to get that wrong.

Unless you know a specific pair of pants and the exact size that she wears (which is possible), I mean I could see buying a pair at that point.

That’s also 2x as expensive as the regular US Blu-ray and $10 more than the 4K/Blu-ray combo.

For me, Amazon auto-completed:
The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith and can you tell us why so many of our most intelligent customers are suddenly searching for this specific book this week?

I guess I’m one of the few who likes Amazon, although I don’t like the increase to $139 for Prime membership. But I do get a lot for Prime (free shipping, video streaming, photo storage, and music).

I buy virtually all of my non-grocery items from Amazon. Their prices are hard to beat, shipping is quick, I have no problem with searching their website, and returns (for whatever reason) are resolved quickly, and satisfactory.

For groceries, I use Kroger delivery, and I’m quite happy with them, too. I pay a modest yearly fee for free delivery (and delivery people are not allowed to accept tips, so I assume Kroger pays them well—they are always cheerful and tell me they like their job. Restaurants should adopt this model and pay their employees better).

I used to be a faithful Publix shopper, but their prices across the board increased too high for my liking. I still shop at Publix for BOGOS, bakery items, and Pub Subs, which are still the best subs in town!

For snacks, I go to the Dollar Store, because I’m a cheapskate.

I’m a long-time Amazon fan. I buy almost everything other than groceries from Amazon.

Same here. I’m also a Vine member. I apparently gave enough reviews of products that they want to bribe me with free stuff to write more. I wasn’t going to say no to that. :smiley:

I can really enjoy what I get from Amazon while still griping about some aspects of course.

Remember how Amazon first started just selling books? Now:

Non-paywalled repost:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/tech-writer-kara-swisher-has-a-new-book-enter-the-ai-generated-scams/ar-BB1jao55