I'm sick of job hunting

I’ve been looking for a job now since last October. About 8 months as of this posting. Fortunately we are ok financially, but I’d still like to start working again. For the most part I generally like working. At least the type of work I do. In fact, the only time I generally don’t like my job is when there isn’t really any work to do (or too much). But at this point, I am literally sick of job hunting. Here are some of the things I’m sick of:

• Endlessly “tweaking” my resume in order to try and anticipate what will stand out to some stupid HR rep looking at 200 of these things.
  • Getting “ghosted” after multiple rounds of interviews.
  • Getting cold calls from Indian guys trying to sell me in their broken English on some contract project manager job 2+ hours away at a bill rate half my previous salary.
  • Having to spend 20 minutes filling out an online job application for a role I will never hear back from.
  • Going on interviews to companies for jobs that I will probably hate.
  • Having my time wasted going on multiple interviews at a company, only to be told that I don’t have some critical qualification that could have been discovered in the first minute of the first phone call (like you need a “Six Sigma black belt” or “20 years of retail experience”.
    -Going on rounds of interviews and not getting the job just because there are other candidates and some of them are probably as good as me.
  • Having to endure hours on LinkedIn getting bombarded with reposts of Gary Vaynerchuk’s musings.
  • Enduring the idiotic job recommendations of idiots. Like "have you looked at Google (because I do stuff related to “tech”) or “you should start a business” -(because “starting a business” is a great fall back strategy).
  • Endlessly answering stupid questions about my job history. Like why did I change jobs so frequently between 2008 and 2013. Or what have I been doing for 8 months (besides jerking off).
  • Having to “network” with every jerkoff I ever worked with or met at a convention in the past 20 years.
  • Enduring advice on “networking” to get a better job.
  • Getting contacted for jobs I am way overqualified for (“manager wants 2-4 years experience” ) or way underqualified for ("Bain Consulting is looking for someone to build their Vietnam practice)
  • Getting contacted by multiple recruiters from the same company after I already started interviewing. Like NOW you need a Director of Business Strategy after I’ve already started the process for some bullshit Engagement Manager job.
  • Stupid platitudes from people like “something will turn up” or “people always find a new job”. People also go homeless or drive Ubers with a PhD.
    Anyhow, that’s all I have for now. Feel free to comment or add your own.

I sympathize, but after eight months maybe those contract positions might be something you should start looking at until a full-time gig comes around?

Ouch.

I hated it too. I depleted our family savings (and the family’s patience)… BUT it all worked out! Of course, I suddenly had three jobs come out of the blue on the same Friday afternoon (and all had to hear YES or NO by Monday morning). Took the lowest-paying but most creative job with the best people. And it was more fun than the previous hellhole that I’d been fired from.

Within a couple of months I was healthier (could bike to work), the bank account was back to comfortable levels, and my attitude had totally changed!

It’ll happen…

I consider legitimate ones. Most of the ones I get are either too far away (hours, if not another state), or I don’t have the background for. It’s just spam anyway. If I’m getting four calls from four different people at the same contracting firm, they are likely sending resumes everywhere looking for a hit.

It’s not just about “finding a job” either. I’m only 46. I’d still like to have some semblance of a career in an actual company. Plus I want to work on stuff that will continue to build my skills. Not just eking out a living working on the shittiest projects no one wants to touch.

Yeah…for some reason it doesn’t feel like it’s “happening”. Last time I looked for a job 4 years ago, I found one in 4 months, got a significant pay bump, found myself in a much better environment and didn’t feel like shooting myself in the face. Usually I could go into an interview and I would know that I was going to get hired. It may take months, but I was usually right. Even though I’ve been actively interviewing and have several more coming up over the next couple of days, nothing has cliqued.

Somehow over the past couple of years, I’ve gone from being the sort of candidate companies tried to shoe-horn into cutting edge (or…at least towards the forward edge of the blade) technology roles to where companies are being ridiculously picky.

8 months and you haven’t gotten any offers, or no acceptable ones?

May I ask what line of work it is and how many interviews you’ve had? I know you said “tech”, but what specifically?

I’ve got you “beat” by a couple of months. Financially we’re hemorrhaging money; we’ve been advised to move elsewhere; i.e. someplace with a lower cost-of-living. (in particular, health insurance costs are killing us) Something we’re seriously considering.

8 months? Be grateful. I was out of work 4 years. I evaporated my retirement accounts before I finally found full-time work.

A recruiter finally called me up for temp work that led to a permanent position. She had searched online resumes with key words. Nothing else worked. I was on monster and career builder email lists. The jobs I applied for online never got answered. All those helpful hints and tools I got from LinkedIn and the Unemployment Office were shit. All I really had to do was list my contact info and the software I knew how to use on an online form and let Robert Half find me.

Judging from accounting seminars I get to review, there’s plenty of job openings in BitCoin, Data Analytics, Robotics, and BlockChain. If you can find training for those fields, go for it. A lot of jobs are becoming obsolete due to tech advances, and that might be your problem.

Job hunting sucks. There’s no way around it. I feel your pain- while I wasn’t unemployed, I was still hunting, and I was absolutely astounded at the number of jobs I was qualified for that I couldn’t get my foot in the door/get an interview for, and I was astounded by the number of jobs that I was not qualified for that I kept getting notified/called about.

And I really get the whole job history gap questioning frustration. I actually went back to graduate school full time from July 2002-August 2004, and went part-time, and worked some contract stuff and a short job that I was laid off from that Fall. Then from about November of 2004 through about June of 2005, I was unemployed and out of grad school.

No matter how I put it on a resume (and I tried about 3 different schemes), they always got confused by it and thought I had a 2 year gap in my employment history and/or couldn’t wrap their heads around the idea of a full-time student. It’s like they think everyone’s lives and careers follows some kind of completely linear path without gaps or overlaps or anything like that.

About the only advice I have is a really piddly way to finagle the system- on most sites like Monster or Indeed, they usually show more recent resumes first for some reason. So what you do is go every week and tweak your resume just a TINY bit- on mine, I swapped “Dr.” for “Drive” in my address back and forth each week.

This made a noticeable difference in the amount of traffic, emails, calls and unfortunately, job related spam that I got.

I empathize. I have no idea why people say it’s a great economy just because the u3 and u6 are low. It’s hard to find a job and a lot of them aren’t seeing wages or benefits go up.

[quote=“Ashtura, post:5, topic:834057”]

8 months and you haven’t gotten any offers, or no acceptable ones?

No. But keep in mind a lot of hiring doesn’t go on in November or December. I also had to take about a month off from job hunting to watch my kids (there’s a thread about that).

For the past 4 years I was a senior engagement manager in a management consulting firm (think a smaller version of Accenture or Deloitte). Before that I spent two years as a program manager in a technology consulting firm (similar to Sapient or Razorfish).

Long story short, I have a lot of diverse experience in technology “engagement management” and “project management”, and I’m also really good at building databases, writing SQL, anything having to do with data analysis.

I’ve actually been thinking about paying the couple hundred bucks for form a legal corporation and just call myself the Founder & Managing Director to avoid the “gap” question. Maybe even do some actual corp to corp consulting with it (if I get this gig tomorrow).

But, yeah, these dumbass recruiters have a lot of trouble wrapping their brains around anything. It’s like talking to Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy. Everything has to be very literal and simplified. Like I was talking to this guy today. He’s like “do you have any “IT transformation” experience?” “have you worked at a bank?”. Um yeah, all those clients on my resume - Goldman Sachs, State Street, Citi, etc are all “banks”. And what do you mean by “IT transformation”? Transforming “what” into “what”? Are they implementing an ERP system? Rebuilding legacy systems using digital technology? “Big Data” migration? Machine Learning process improvement using RPA and blockchain tech?

“Uh…I don’t know”.
Then my answer is “yes”.

My years freelancing, I didn’t have a “legal corporation”, I just hung out the ol’ shingle.

My point is, just put down that you were working for SmithCo Enterprises.

And if you want to look good, note that you started as an Associate Maven and worked your way up to Senior Maven.
This post brought to you by DIGS-a-PALOOZA Industries!
DIGS-a-PALOOZA, the Tri-County Area’s most reliable purveyor of Circus Peanuts and orange-tinted insulation.
Visit us at WeDidntGetDIGSaPALOOZAbutThisWasAvailableDotCom

I’m self employed, six years or so. I make about 2/3 of what I made at my last w2 job, and I take temp jobs during my slow season. But I don’t work for assholes anymore. If an asshole wants to hire me, I tell them no. If it takes a week or two to find out, I fire them.

Ths new economy sucks, but it’s also kinda nice.

Many people, particularly Trump followers, will insist that the economy is doing great because the unemployment rate is so low. But they don’t factor in all the people who are still looking for work, homeless people who have no work, and all the people who have a job or more than one job but cannot make a decent living at those jobs. Or the wages aren’t so bad at a particular job but it offers no job security or benefits of any kind. And it’s probably part time.

I can sympathize I was looking for work for 5 months before I got my current job. It still sucks cause I have to travel for my job and I’m not reimbursed or anything. I live at Airbnb’s M-F and go home on the weekends.

It’s hard out there, my job is as needed but I’ve been fortunate enough to get full time hours for now. I’m hoping getting more experience in my field I’ll be able to get something closer to home in the long-term. When you’re down and out looking for work for months on end it really affects your self-esteem and confidence after awhile.

Keep your chin up!

You have my sympathy. I’ve had the luxury of job hunting while holding onto my existing job, and it sucked balls.

I don’t think you need to form a corporation or LLC to do some consulting gigs. If you manage to get a gig or two, just say you were freelancing for the last 8 months.

A couple for my list of “that was a dodged bullet”, from searching for in-house jobs after many years as a contractor:

• Company’s interview process takes several months but, once they make a decision, they want me to start on Monday despite me having indicated I have a notice period of X days. They get pissy.
    Why would I want to work for people who expect their future employees to breach contracts, and who aren’t willing to accord to others the courtesies they expect to receive?

• I’m abroad. You know I’m abroad. You still expect me to be in-country for an in-person interview as the first step in the selection process. On a Wednesday.
    And I want a purple flying unicorn.

• Company has offered a salary range of X to Y. I ask for a value in that range. After several rounds of hoops and interviews, they tell me they will only pay Z, where Z is lower than the published minimum.
    Where do you think you are, the souk?

After my accident, I couldn’t work for a year, and after two years with no luck, I took a temporary, part-time job as a store cashier.

That was 5 1/2 years ago. I now work there on a permanent, full time basis.

[quote=“msmith537, post:10, topic:834057”]

Oh, management. That’s tough. Particularly since I don’t have any experience in it. Would you be comfortable and happy doing SQL development full time? If so, Could you pad out a resume focusing on your SQL development? I’m not saying lie, but if you really are good at it, the main concern is if you can do the job. You might get more bites.

[quote=“Ashtura, post:19, topic:834057”]

And then be promoted to management.