I'm so jealous of this lady's 1950's inspired decor.

haha! That’s exactly how I grew up, and going by the year, I could have easily been your older sister there.

HI LITTLE BRO!! :stuck_out_tongue:

That link is busted for me but I GIS it. For some reason, this reminds me of a wall clock we had. It had the same sort of starburst pattern. Very Atomic Agey.

Also, I too want that refrigerator. Gorgeous AND roomy and the egg holder is genius!

O.K., I did some more searching and found my clock. At first all that came up were clocks in this style, which I also remember seeing a lot of but was not the clock we had. Finally I found this clock. Much closer to what I remember. Ours had less of a clock face and more of an abstract number thingy in the middle.

I’m gouging out my eyes.

Once you start injecting avocado and harvest gold, and the shag carpets invade, you’re talking Seventies decor.

Watch the Twilight Zone marathons. You’ll get plenty of your Fifties style.
~VOW

How we can ever forget The Gobbler, the grooooviest motel in Wisconsin.

Imagine the people on House Hunters coming in to this house…“The bathroom is dated. Yuck!” :slight_smile:

So does anyone know what that style of fireplace is called? Its interesting.

Seems like the “two-sided corner fireplace” is the most common name for it, if you search for just “corner fireplace” you get fireplaces which are built to fit into a 90 corner of a room (with the firebox built into the hypotenuse of the right triangle).

They did have some stupid bimbo who wanted a mid century modern. Then she walked through the whole thing complaining about the tiny bedrooms, the microscopic closet, the single dated bathroom, the lack of open concept spaces. Literally everything that made it mid century modern she disliked :rolleyes::dubious::smack:

I personally like a lot of different styles, and understand enough about the different styles to not complain about things that are features of that particular style. I have lived in a mid century modern, and dealt with the dated bathroom and kitchen, the small bedrooms and tiny closets. I have lived in a classic 60s 2 story tract house, and dealt with the same small bedrooms and closets, the less dated bathroom and kitchen [when we moved in in 1970 it had avocado green appliances, an avocado tiled bathroom, and green sculptured plush carpets.] I have lived in a beautiful queen anne victorian, and loved the fireplaces in most of the rooms, the kitchen with a full on butlers pantry, and servants quarters. My brother and I shared the nursery and our governess had her own room. The 2 maids required to keep the hulking place clean didn’t live in, they came daily. I can live in anything from a slum studio on 13th Bay St in Norfolk VA, to a beach house on Atlantic Ave in Va Beach, to a craptastic ranch built by a jackass who didn’t understand house design. I have apartment and house hunted with and for myself and friends - I would never smacktalk a property in front of anybody. About the worst I would end up saying about some place is that it is not what I was looking for, and make a suggestion clarifying what I was looking for by giving an example about something in the house that I would prefer different. Color or anything that is decoration is nothing to consider when looking at a place. Interior decorating can be changed so easily. I would pick up a steamer and strip the wallpaper, and paint the damned wall myself if I had to. [the idiots who insist on paying someone to do something so simple as to strip a wall and paint it drive me nuts. The only reason not to paint yourself is pregnancy, allergy or physical disability. I paint from a wheelchair.:dubious::rolleyes:]

Same here. Wouldn’t want to live there.

Harvest Gold didn’t come in until the mid-60s. Avocado was around earlier and came back again with the Harvest Gold.

I really love the lamps. They have so much style to them.

Homes unaltered since they were built in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s are all over the place in my hometown. It was a time when the region was at its economic peak, and today a much higher percentage of seniors among the population than in other cities; the perfect breeding ground for frozen-in-time dwellings.

In the early 1990s, my parents bought a “time capsule” built in 1967, and did absolutely no updating during the entire time they lived there. Unfortunately, when it came time to sell, it sat on the market for month after month, with no takers despite nearby houses selling in weeks or days. The 1960s design it encapsulated was the “classy” Italian-American version rather than the cool Don Draper version.

We had those.

I remember Calypso colors being quite popular back then – primarily orange and turquoise. I just doublechecked and confirmed that Harry Belafonte’s Calypso album came out in 1956, so it seems clear that those colors came between the pink and gray I remember from even earlier and the harvest gold and avocado that followed.