I'm sorry, were you raised in a fucking BARN?

And I thought it was bad when a friend of mine was demoted from Maid of Honor to mere bridesmaid. That wouldn’t have been so bad, but the way she found out? She looked at the program and saw that her name was not under Maid of Honor.

I’ll tell her some of these stories. I think she’ll feel better.

Yeah, I agree, if it’s family, then it’s not flirting. But if it’s my brother’s friends’ wife’s sister and my sister’s brother inlaw’s niece’s cousin, then I might have to think about it.

Agreed. Don’t deny they exist though.

It was family. Aunts, uncles, cousins and spouses. Family. No cousin’s brother’s wife’s friend’s sister’s puppy involved.

FilmGeek, are you kidding me? Did she throw the bride a shower and everything? And THEN was demoted in the program? That’s just wrong.

Ava

Girlfriend/halfsister?

Girlfriend…halfsister?

Girlfriend/halfsister!

:eek:

Wow. If you don’t mind, could you give a few details on how people come to date their own freaking siblings? In fact, date them to the point where they go to weddings togethers. I’m fascinated. And a little tweaked out. And you guys should send your stories in to Etiquette Hell.

Um, if I were you, I’d avoid having a scene at your own wedding and elope. Just get on a plane for Vegas (make sure you say hi to me when you’re here) and not tell anyone. Most of the wedding chapels here will provide witnesses, so that won’t be an issue. Then go home and tell the fam you’re married.

I’m confused about a minor detail Here:

If the groom’s mother is your mom’s sister, then how can his grandmother be your aunt?

confused
MissTake’s tale of the girlfriend/half-sister is seriously frightening. AND lacking on details. Spill 'em.

Avabeth, for the love of all that’s holy, call the caterer/reception site tomorrow and cancel the open bar!

It won’t work. Seriously. They’ll just do what they did on Saturday and BRING A COOLER. Open bar, cash bar, no bar, they’ll find a way.

mr. avabeth has basically said if they pull this stunt at ours, he’ll have them kicked out. He knows how much it upset me, and he said he won’t let them pull these stunts on our day. We’re already prepared for the usual stuff to go wrong, but at least this we can control.

Sorry for the confusion, Guin. I don’t know why I called the groom’s mother my mom’s sister. The groom’s mother is my mom’s niece. Her mother is my mom’s sister. So the groom is actually my second cousin. My mom and her sister are so far apart in age that we grew up with my second cousins as first cousins, if that makes sense.

I have a confusing, large family.

Ava

Aw, there’s nothing sweeter than a new bride and groom who are in no hurry to be alone together.

Actually every stud farm I have been to refers to as the breeding shed.

Ehh…they’re very in love:). That was quite obvious all day.

Plus, it was only like 11 PM, and we just come from a family where the bride and groom will often change and go out with everyone after the wedding for a few hours, especially if it’s an earlier wedding.

We’re not. But that’s just because we’ve learned our lesson.

Ava

Yeah, the afterparty.

I’ve never been at one that erupted in bloodshed.

Yes, my ex- brother-in-law is dating and cohabitating with his half sister in a LURVE Jamboree. After their father died, they learned about each others existance. They became friends, then after the e-b-i-l divorced his second wife (not my sister), his (now) GF moved closer to him to caretake him and the kids (NOT my nephews, his other kids). The e-b-i-l is a horrid drunkard. I guess it grew from there.

people find a way to display their assholeness, alcohol or not.

Second cousins as first-yes, that makes sense. My mom’s favorite cousin as a child was her second cousin, but because there was such a large age difference, the second cousin’s mother, mom’s first, was more like an aunt.

Personally, if/when I get married, I’ll be sure and book a hotel room far enough away from the festivities that no one knows about, just to ensure there aren’t any interruptions. (Although if they had left early, people would have complained about that too, right?)

You know, I’ve danced with my best friend’s wife many times. He hates dancing, I like formal dancing, and so does she. We also go out to dinner together sometimes. And he doesn’t think I’m flirting with her.

What? :slight_smile:

My sister is actually my cousin, too - it’s just that my mom practically raised her and is much more of a grandmother to her kids than her own mother (my aunt is a friggin’ nutcase…and my SO wonders why I worry about my own mental health sometimes…I come from a goddamn mental hospital family). So it’s easier to refer to her as my sister, since I basically consider her one anyway.

And yes, people would have been pissed no matter what they did. But the only one pissed was the groom’s friggin’ mother! Everyone else was glad that they’d come out.

We’ve booked a room at the oldest and nicest hotel in town for our wedding night. And we’re telling people that we’re going to the Marriott. Or possibly the other way around. We’re not sure yet. We just know we’re telling people something totally different from where we’re actually going.

I did forget to mention one event at the wedding that was more funny than anything else - although it reinforced our decision to only have children whose parents we trust at our own. A 2 1/2 year old ended up talking through most of the ceremony, then going around the reception pulling her dress up to show everyone her Dora the Explorer underpants. She’d apparently just been potty trained and was incredibly proud of herself.

The bride was amused. I’m just glad the kid wasn’t from our family. We had enough to answer for that night.

Ava

I have to agree with both TeaElle and TwistofFate here.

Not having an open bar is a good idea. Maybe you could “forget” to tell your family you canceled it and just deal with the bitching about the lack later?

Second, people really will be assholes with or without alcohol. My husband and I got married at 9am on a Sunday, and did not provide any alcohol at all. (We don’t drink, so it felt unnecessary to pay for others to get drunk.) Even with this lack, a “friend” of my husband’s deliberately insulted my grandmother at the reception (Oh was this yours? Oh well, think I’ll throw it away anway.), and this was after spending the previous two days insulting myself and my sister.

I expected him to insult me; he doesn’t approve of me. But attacking my family just because they are related to me was out of line.

Wow. What an jackass. I’m sorry that happened.

Honestly, though, if we forget to tell them that there’s no bar, they will leave the site, find a bar, get drunk, and return. I’m 100% sure of this. It’s not speculation. Unfortunately, our wedding is in a historical part of town near a historical section with plenty of restaurants and bars. They’ll find a way.

And honestly, we don’t drink much, but we’re not looking at it as paying for others to get drunk. 90% of the people attending know how to behave and how to hold their liquor. I do like at least one drink at a wedding because it loosens me up a bit to get on the dance floor. Other than that, I’ve never had more than 2-3 drinks at ANY wedding, and most of our family and friends are the same way. We’re not going to penalize them for the 10% that suck. We do have a security guard there, five burly uncles, six adult male cousins and several close friends who will remove anyone who’s behaving improperly.

Besides, after this last stunt, they all seem to be quite remorseful. So with luck, they’ll remember their behavior and be sure to behave appropriately next time.

Ava

at the risk of depressing you, but
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

that’s GOT to be the funniest thing said about drunks, by someone familiar with drunks, that i’ve heard in absolute ages.

please don’t delude yourself with that thought for an additional nanosecond. i’m truly trying to be helpful, not snarky.