I'm too big for this world

Oh man. I’m sorry–I didn’t realise what you tall or big folks go through. My father is (well, was) 6’2 and ultra-skinny; my cousin is 6’4…

On the other hand, my mom’s side was all petite. I came out in the middle, 5’10-1/2, but even I have a sense of what it’s like to tower over people. A few years ago I was waiting for a bus to go home, and I suddenly realised that all of the six or seven adults people around me were my shoulder height or less. Very odd… I felt like some sort of caveman.

Oh, yes. My mom’s family is petite as well. They’re all small and most of them are slender. Then there I am, Amazon girl.

You know, much of the time, I actually like it. I’m sturdy and strong and healthy. I can reach high shelves for my mother. I can carry around my cousins till they reach a ridiculous age. (You try picking up an eleven-year-old, if your back will take it. Amusing.) I don’t get cold easily. But sometimes I really, really hate being like this.

For all you large-domed mofos (hat size here is between 8 and 8 1/4 :frowning: )
http://www.villagehatshop.com/big-head1.html
I have ordered from them before and I was very pleased.

Damn shared home computer.

Heheh, I guess I should point out that it’s me with the large head, not my lovely wife. :smiley: Above post is mine.

I’m 6’3", and wear 15 4E shoes, so I can feel your (foot) pain. I can’t wear anything but New Balance shoes, since they’re the only ones who make wide sizes in athletic shoes. My problem is my hands. I have huge hands. I can’t get gloves that will fit to save my life. Since I work in a profession where I have to put my hands in hot tight places I’m constantly getting burns and cuts on my hands.

Miss Volacious, maybe we should start a thread about being too small for the world. I’m not nearly as small as you are (though I still get mistaken for 16 sighs I need new clothes), but just small enough that finding clothes is a pain. I’m not a petite, but normal length pants are too long–not everyone needs a 32" inseam! Half the stores I shop at don’t carry extra-small shirts, so I have a buttload of shirts that don’t fit me very well. And you just try finding jeans with a 26" waist! 25" is easy to find, but a tad bit too tight for me.

I’m also too old to be climbing on chairs to get at shelves, but there’s no other way for me to reach the plates :frowning:

Though I am average height my skull is very large. Due to that I had about given up on hats until I found the Tilley brand. Their largest size, which they call 8+, fits very nicely for me, and the quality of the hats is outstanding.

Tilley hats can be found at the link provided by gooti.

SpouseO’s 6’6" and about 200, 210 pounds. Tall and skinny. Think his feet are the inbetween 12/13 size too. But he does okay.

Pants are mostly from Eddie Bauer - he likes a 36" or 37" inseam. But he likes 'em long, so most of the backs of his pantlegs are all scruffy from him walking on them. I encourage him to get shorter inseams, but he won’t. So, try Eddie Bauer for pants - they’ve got tall sizes and will hem to suit.

He drives an Xterra, and likes it, mostly. He does look a little squished in my Protege5, but says that he’s not, so I’ll take his word for it.

And flying, we always try to get the exit row. Which is nice for him. But you know that poster earlier, who was feeling more sorry for herself when having to be next to the tall guy? Yeah - that’s me, all the time. I’m always next to the tall guy! But he’s worth it.

What seems to really weird him out are other tall people - he’s not used to looking other people in the eyes. It’s actually kinda funny.