Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965: Good idea or bad?

Spinoff from this thread on the Ted Kennedy video at the DNC – particularly, this exchange:

And then everybody called LonesomPolecat out on that (he has not yet responded that I can see). But, it raises an interesting question, I guess, that has nothing to do with Ted Kennedy.

In 1965, U.S. immigration law was based on the Immigration Act of 1924, as somewhat modified by the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952. There was a National Origins Formula which was explicitly designed to maintain the existing ethnic composition of the U.S.; it favored immigrants from northwestern Europe and disfavored all others.

The Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965 was a lot more controversial at the time than is much remembered now – just as white-supremacist racism was a lot more prevalent and confident in America than is much remembered now – and, in fact, very inaccurate predictions were used to sell the immigration reform to the public:

And, yes, in the political context of the time, we can fairly read an assurance that “the demographic mix would not be affected” as “America would remain mostly-white.”

In the event, however:

However, “inaccurate” does not necessarily mean “dishonest.” NPR reports:

Still, based on lies or based on ignorance – in hindsight, and judging by the results, it wasn’t such a bad idea, was it? So we get Harold and Kumar, what’s the harm?

Does anybody care to argue that we/they should have left the American immigration system just as it was, clarity-of-racism and all?

We didn’t just get Harold and Kumar, we got their ethnic cousins. I think we won.

It’s sad, but true, that there are still a lot of people who believe that culture is genetic.

We see this absurdity, today, in issues of whether adoptive parents children of Chinese origin, living in, say, Louisiana, ought to make an effort to raise these children with an immersion in Chinese culture.

(One of the most joyful stories I ever saw was a tv show about just such a child – a happy little girl – who looks as Chinese as anyone – who decided she wanted to get involved in Irish Dancing! And she did! At first, there was reluctance, but everyone pretty much realized: there was no reason not! Why shoe-horn her into Chinese dance, or American dance, if she saw Irish dance and wanted to do it. I call it freedom, and I say hooray for it.)

Of course it was a good idea.

The laws it overturned, which set very strict quotas on the number of Eastern and Southern Europeans and virtually banned the immigration of “Asians” were racist, offensive and unAmerican.

In 1952, when the US changed the law to no longer limit naturalization of immigrants to those who were “free white persons”(which was why Chinese, Japanese, and Jamaican immigrants weren’t allowed to become US citizens until the 1950s) and the the striking down of the racist immigration laws was a continuation of this.

From NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5391395

Nitpick: They were racist, offensive, and extremely American. Our “higher” national qualities/values/aspirations are not always those that can fairly be said to define us.

Everyone who wants to should be allowed to move to the US (barring non-political fugitives), and after being a resident for some period (6 months, a year?) should automatically be considered a citizen, with all rights that entails.

The current 10-year, $10,000, if-you’re-from-the-right-country process is absolutely appalling. I didn’t pay anything, fill out any forms (except a birth certificate, which I suppose is analogous to an immigrant establishing residency), be a certain race, or have to take any test to be a citizen and neither should anybody else.

If they wanted the law to not change the country’s demographics, they should have a) inserted an absolute (and fairly low) cap on immigration for all reasons, with no exceptions for family reunification, (200,000 sounds about right) and b) specified that no more than 15% of the total immigrants in any given year may be of non-European ethnicities. (15% being the approximate nonwhite percentage of the US population as of the 1960 census.) Simple, no?

I wonder what kind of shape the country would be in today if THAT bill had been enacted into law . . .

How many people are siding with moonshot & the polecat? Not I…

Texas has never been all that white. We’ve got African-Americans, descended from those who were building the state as slaves–even before it was a “state.” And we’ve got Mexican-Americans, some of whom were on this side of The River before it was The Border–even before Mexico won its independence. All of this happened long before my own people left that soggy island…

Now, in addition to Soul, Creole, Tex-Mex & Mexican restaurants, we’ve got Vietnamese, Indian, Korean, etc. And plenty of places that serve fusion cuisines…

Good idea! Some of my best friends are older white guys–but they aren’t, bitter, twisted & fearful of change…

And Comanches, yes?

I’d be interested in hearing a non-racist reason someone could consider this act “treasonous”. LonesomePolecat, can you elaborate? I’m assuming of course you aren’t simply an admitted racist.

Doing away with the bracero system without replacing it with some sort of temporary work visa system for non-degreed persons was, IMHO, a mistake.

I think the US needs a simplified work visa program that is temporary in nature and much easier to qualify for. Tie the number of such visas to unemployment.

By getting such workers into a legal visa category I think more inroads can be made against the abuses and exploitation these workers sometimes face. With a legal visa I think farm workers would be more willing to cooperate with law enforcement and allow us to shift spending away from a punitive approach to immigration enforcement.

I agree with Iggy,

Without a temp worker program or a labor immigration program we have labor needs that are not met through legal channels.

This pool of labor has been instrumental in the growth of this country through it’s entire history. The lack of legal means produced the entire illegal immigration issue which hurts native born workers, immigrant workers and the country as a whole.

Removing the eugenics based quotas is completely a completely “American” and “Patriotic” act.

:rolleyes: Does neither of you remember what happened when W tried to implement a guest-worker program? A program that would allow big-biz, especially agribiz, to have their cake and eat it by using cheap foreign labor that could be sent away when no longer needed? It was a nonstarter and it deserved to be. If we need more foreign workers we can damned well give them green cards and paths-to-citizenship, and we can damned well let them work under the minimum-wage laws like everybody else.

The guest worker program was mostly killed by 9/11 and xenophobia/racism.

They would have been under minimum-wage laws and yes green cards would be better but both parties have reasons to prevent that from happening.

Anything that improves the horrid system we have know would be better.

Might as well state the obvious. It seems quite possible that the “treason” that LonesomePolecat was referring to wasn’t the more traditional treason to one’s country, but rather treason to one’s race.

Like what?

I’ll retract that statement just to prevent a derail on this thread.

I work on a temporary work visa with no prospects for permanent residency or citizenship. The program works to fill the needs of the labor market. No minimum wage laws apply… just market rate depending upon the job and worker’s skills.

First choice for jobs goes to citizens. I could be deported if a qualified citizen wants to take my job. My employer must advertise my post every time my contract (and thus visa) is up for renewal.

However I don’t work in the US.

How about we legalize the work, enforce minimum wage laws, and allow workers to come and go for the growing season or building season? Why must legal work require citizenship or a path to it? This is what seems to serve Canada well.