Impact of Republicans Repudiating Trump

I’m not even sure Trump can claim the far right except to the extent that the far-right contains more wrench-throwers than average.

IMHO the biggest impact will come from the usually Republican right wing media that is not going for Trump. In my years at looking at politics I can not remember a time when a Republican candidate (or presumed one) is not getting the usual echo chamber of support. It looks that there are more than a few cave-ins in that chamber.

A few years back I looked for recommended right wing sources to check from time to time and in a search this article from C/Net had a balanced list based on recommendations from both right leaning and left leaning readers. Pointing to reporting that usually is not so extremist that can turn off readers that have different ideologies.

That was a list from 2009 and almost all sources there are active and running.

Now the point, the majority of the recommended sites from the right, such as National Review, TownHall and The Weekly Standard have come very hard against Trump. Others in the list like Michelle Malkin warned the Republicans against Trump but nowadays she showed to be just a follower of bullshit politics as recently she told a reporter that she would vote for him, not very enthusiastically when one looks at her past reporting.

And RedState was not on the list I linked to, but they are also against Trump as it is The American Spectator. Drudge, that was mentioned on the C/Net list, was the only one that showed to be a clear supporter of Trump.

Oddly enough, Trump has been endorsed and embraced by all the “establishment” Republicanshis fans claim to hate. To the Boehners and McConnell’s, a guy with no principles is far better than a guy with serious conservative principles

I fear I will be the last Republican to cling to the #NeverTrump banner. Everyone else is knuckling under.

I’m pretty sure that any neoliberal is to the right of the average American.

I have to say, Qin, you have become a lot more fun since your Curtis LeMay days. :slight_smile:

Whachagunnado, vote for Hillary?

No, but I will not vote for Trump. He is NOT the lesser of two evils. He’s just an evil.

If there’s a tolerable third party candidate, I will vote for him or her. If not, I will cast no vote for President; I’ll just vote for the candidates for state offices.

Not that my measly vote will matter. Trump will win Texas no matter what I do.

It makes me feel a little better about humanity right now to hear a Republican say they will stick to their principles. My very religious mother, who hates Trump, is starting to waver because her choice, Ben Carson, supports him. So he can’t be all bad, right? I haven’t pulled out my big gun yet - Would Jesus vote for Trump? - but I may have to use it.

Nah, there’ll be at least two of us.

Only in your dreams. In reality she’s very much in the center with all the “average” Americans.

What’s really going to make a difference is the abortion issue. I saw a mass e-mail the other day from a pro-life group specifically saying that they are not endorsing Trump (they’re still waiting to see if there’s a third-party candidate they can support). That’s a single issue for a very large chunk of Americans, most of whom ordinarily vote Republican. Lose those single-issue voters, and no Republican has a chance.

“IN reality” meaning “who she really is rather than who she is running as in a primary campaign against Bernie Sanders”.

As for Trump, I think he’s helped by GOP opposition at this point, and the GOP establishment is helped by staying away from him. Those that have sold out to him are just craven, unprincipled politicians, which is nothing we didn’t already know. That’s why he’s the nominee. Romney seems to have found his spine, but that doesn’t mean much since he’s not running for anything and probably never will. So far, Ben Sasse is the only one with a future who is standing his ground against Trump.

Whoa, you may be onto something there, what with this idea that HC sometimes panders to the lowest common denominator. I must ponder this novel thought.

You know, between that and not getting accepted to art school, that Hitler dude just couldn’t catch a break.

I think that ship has sailed. Trump has already managed to turn off women, Hispanics, young people, other minorities, pretty much anyone who is not an old white bluecollar male with a high school degree/some college. Most polls at this point would seem to favor Clinton.

I don’t see Republicans casting their vote for Clinton. So imagine that at this point the Republicans have largely written off the presidency and are thinking more about keeping their seats in Congress.

I don’t think Boyo Jim is right either, but my guess is that he’s talking about what Americans say about public policy in opinion polls. According to Gallup, for example, single-payer health care has majority support: Majority in U.S. Support Idea of Fed-Funded Healthcare System .
Since neither Obama nor Clinton has proposed that (correct me if I’m wrong), they could count as being to the right of the public on this issue. I’m not going to go dig up polls on other issues, but I’m guessing that the public is willing to talk a lefty game on stuff like Social Security, veterans’ benefits, the environment, campaign finance, and even - if you phrase the poll question right - welfare-ish spending.
It is, of course, pretty asinine to contrast opinions expressed in polls and the stated positions of politicians and thereby conclude that the public is to the left of the politicians. Not least because you could cherry-pick some other issues and draw the opposite conclusion.

I don’t think it’s true to the extent you suggest. Trump is (surprisingly) only behind by about 10 points, which does not indicate support from only “old white bluecollar male[s] with a high school degree/some college”. More importantly, many people who follow politics closely don’t appreciate the extent to which many other people tend to tune it out. And this disinterest, along with a remarkable public fickleness, allows for candidates and other public figures to make over their images at fairly late stages in the game.

That said, it does appear that Trump is temperamentally indisposed to change his image. So it’s not so much that the ship has sailed, but that it keeps on sailing …

Also, because many of these issues in polls are presented in isolation.

Meaning, for example, that many people are in theory in favor of public option healthcare, but not necessarily in favor of a public option along with tax raises to pay for it, and so on. So when you present it as just “public option” in some opinion poll, then it can get support, but when it comes to an actual proposed public option along with taxes to pay for it (and other trade-offs) then it becomes a lot less popular.

And so on for any number of other issues.

A disunited party is a recipe for defeat. Ask Humphrey, Carter, and G.H.W. Bush. And this is disunity in spades.

I’ve said all along that the crucial question this year is: “Are women who would normally either not vote or vote Republican going to vote for Clinton as the first of their gender to reach the top of the ticket?” The answer, as of this writing, is probably yes and that Trump is making it damn easy for them to do so.

At this point I don’t think that’s guaranteed.