[QUOTE=rockle]
And arrogant, too, I think – to me, he’s using his “power” as a HoF voter to grind his own personal ax(es). Which is crap on a stick, IMO. Either decide that they’re worthy, or not, but don’t qualify it based on some fake made-up criteria of your own devising. It’s not like their stats are going to improve in their retirement.
Yeah, but there’s also no reason on Earth why Ripken doesn’t deserve 100%, either, and we see how well that turned out. Which leads me to …
This is also crap on a stick, I think. If you only get 10 votes, then you should vote for the 10 best people, period. Why try to make a statement? Maybe there’s a reason why some of these players don’t get the required minimum 5% that they need to appear on future ballots. Maybe they don’t deserve to be there as much as some others.
Also, what D_Odds said.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe it’s not just a “statement.”
Look, suppose, just suppose I’m a sportswriter who thinks Joe Schmeaux deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I firmly believe that, if Schmeaux stays on the ballot long enough, the other voters will eventually see things my way and vote for him. But for that to happen, Joe has to stay on the ballot, which means he needs X number of votes.
Now, since I KNOW that Ripken and Gwynn are going to win, and my vote can’t really help them, why shouldn’t I cast one of my votes for Joe Schmeaux? It helps Joe and it doesn’t hurt Ripken or Gwynn in the least… unless you think a unanimous vote is of vital importance (which I don’t).
I mean, does it REALLY matter whether Tom Seaver got 98.84% of the vote or 100%? Does Seaver really care? I admit, I think sportswriters who go out of therir way to prevent unanimous votes are being ridiculous… but really, why is it important to anyone that a vote be unanimous?