In a British pub, what are the "public bar," "saloon bar," etc.?

The word “saloon” is used to describe a car with a conventional boot (trunk) and to differentiator it from a hatchback.

Of course I meant to say “differentiate”, (stupid spell-checker!)

A saloon will also have 4 doors. A two door car with a boot is a coupe.

I’ve seen a number of older bars in the US that have separate rooms with separate entrances. The main door goes right into the traditional bar where the serious, manly drinking is done, but there is a side door labeled “Ladies Entrance” (or sometimes “Family Entrance”), leading into a quieter room with curtains and tables and basic food service. The separation protects the fairer sex’s tender eyes and ears from the puking and fighting in the other room while they do their own drinking in a more refined manner.

In Australia there are still pubs with a Ladies’ Bar - but typically it doesn’t mean that the bar’s any different to the other rooms. Typically it just means that they haven’t got around to giving it a “theme” name as part of a renovation.

Actually, cancel that - I know of a pub up the road from me that closed a couple of years ago where the Ladies’ Bar was still home to the more befrocked, shaved-legged and made-up section of their clientele. No females in there, though.

In my local when I was growing up, the Public Bar was where people went to drink. The Lounge Bar was where Sis, the decrepit octogenarian landlady, watched TV and did her ironing. I think this was an unusual setup though. :wink:

In Queensland it was only in 1970 that it became legal for women to enter a public bar. Prior to that they had to go to the ‘Ladies Lounge’ of the pub. So at that time a Ladies Lounge was exactly that, a place where women could go for a drink.

And then there’s the mysterious “Gastropub”…

It’s not that mysterious. I get gastro pretty much every time I eat at my local.

Not in Ireland. I am surprised to read that the traditional layout has become rare in Britain, because it is still quite common here. Typically there are two doors immediately inside the front door of the pub. One door leads to the lounge, the other to the ordinary bar room. Many Dublin pubs still have one or more snugs too.

Edit: missed scifisam’s follow-up post where she clarified this layout still exists in Britain, without the social differentiation.

I have. At least in one place (I think it was called the Victoria, a Young’s pub in Kensington, anyway).