In music, what is the term for "drawing out" vowels/sounds...?

In music, what is the term for “drawing out” vowels/sounds…?

Alice Merton does this in her song “No Roots”…
In the chorus, she sings “I got no roo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-oots” (about one minute into the song and elsewhere when she sings the chorus).
And I’ve also heard other artists do this as well.

So… what’s the term?
Thanks! :slight_smile:


ETA: Colloquially known as “whitneying” or “mariah-ing” a song.


Sorry Bo. You can’t ninja the dog with a misspelling.

Yeah they are Melismas, derived from the Greek word for honey “Meli”…

Incidentally “Honey Bee” in Greek is “Melissa”

If you have a friend named Melissa, she probably already knows this.

There are parts of that song that are good, but that melisma bit is so freakin annoying.