In need of yummy Dressing recipe

yes, for Thanksgiving dinner. We usually eat mom’s dressing but it’s AWFUL! So, this year I was brave enough to offer to make my own… problem is, I’ve never made it before! So, I’d like to practice making it b4 the big day… your help (recipe) will be greatly appreciated!

Of my dressing recipes, the one that consistently gets the best response is this one:

Puree a couple slices of cantaloupe or related melon
Add a tablespoon or so of light oil, like canola
drizzle in some rice wine vinegar to taste; probably around a couple of tablespoons.

And viola da gamba. Amazingly fresh; tastes like a mouthful of spring.

Are we talking salad dressing, or stuffing dressing here??

:smack: Yes, Stuffing dressing… now i feel like a putz!

Lissener, thanks for that delicious dressing recipe! :slight_smile:

I basically just follow the instructions on the back of the bag of stuffing croutons, with a couple of exceptions:

I saute the chopped onion for 10-15 minutes on medium, until they are completely cooked through. It makes it a little sweeter.

When the onions are almost done, I stir the chopped celery in to saute briefly with the onions. It takes the bitter taste out of the celery. If I use fresh garlic, I add it with the celery. Same with chopped walnuts.

I usually add a little more water or broth to the mix, because I prefer moist stuffing over dry stuffing. (This isn’t necessary if it’s cooked in the bird, though.)

You can also experiment with add-ins. Some people like to chop the gizzards from the turkey and add them to the stuffing. It’s also popular to add chopped oysters. I like to add chopped walnuts and cranberries. Pine nuts are good, too, or orange rind. How much you add depends on how much flavor you want from the added ingredient.

Wow, this recipe really had me salivating! :slight_smile: I’m going to make a practice batch nxt wk, many thanx!

ciao ciao!

Mine is similar to Kiminy’s .

Only I replace some of the water with chicken broth to add more flavor. For add-ins, I have also included mushrooms, and chestnuts.

Chestnuts are a pain in the pazoo to roast and peel yourself, so I buy mine from WIlliams Sonoma. They come in a jar, all ready to go.

Mine is also similar to Kiminy’s. I begin with onions, celery, carrots and apple. Chop all of them up finely in the food processor and then saute in butter. Amounts vary - I usually wind up with about 2 cups of chopped stuff and saute in about two tablespoons of butter. Add broth to that and then add croutons.

GT

Y’know all these delicious recipes for stuffing dressing could be a meal in itself! I can smell the aromas of these ingredients, now!

Thanx!