In praise of nurses!!!

So last Tues morn, I had an emergency appendectomy. I am a 350 lb. tub of goo on a good day (THAT is gonna change!) and this just made the goo more helpless.

Praise to the surgeon, the various shift drs., the technicians, etc. but most of all to those often little ladies who could wrangle that goo into sitting upright, standing, washing itself, and walking two days after being hacked on. Your patience & upper-body strength is awesome!!!

I totally agree with the praise of nurses.

Within the past 18 months (for reasons I’d rather not go into) I’ve been in one of the local hospitals here twice.

The first time was the first time I’d ever been in the hospital over night. I was scared and felt very alone even though I had my husband and family visiting frequently.

I had one nurse on that first stay who made me feel…loved. She felt like a mom and made me feel very safe. She even gave me a foot rub one day!

The second time was at the same hospital after major surgery and I had her again…8 months later, and she remembered me.

Thank you to all of the nurses out there who make all of us feel better…physically and emotionally.

This is sweet to read :slight_smile:

GET BETTER SOON, FriarTed!

Speaking for 98% of the nurses I know, thank you for remembering that we helped. That’s what we want to do: help.
And I had no idea how physically strong I’d have to be to do my job until I got my first job on the floor.
And the notion that we don’t want to become emotionally involved with those we care for? People can’t heal without love.

Cyn, RN

I have posted more than one similar thread. Over the years I have had some fantastic nurses and only one or two poor one. It is an amazingly tough job, but most of them did it with caring and kindness and never lost their patience. I could not do the job well.

On my last operation I was so depressed - I was having yet another op after the last one was said to be the last one - she spent every free moment with me. Not really holding my hand, but figuratively. Talking about our youths, sharing stories. Even after her shift ended she spent an extra hour with me.

When my dad was dying there was a sweet and lovely young lady who treated him so well. We chatted a while and she said that there were times she stopped on the way home and cried because she couldn’t help her patients. She was so sweet and earnest I was have in love with her. Even so, I fear that caring *that *much will burn her out quickly.

After the first op went bad and I was in the ICU for about a month, the night shift were mostly men. After they did their rounds they would come in and bust my stones and keep me company.

It is a tough job, I could not do it and I am grateful for the people who do.

I’m far from a little lady (a fairly big dude, actually), but thank you for the shout out. With very few exceptions, virtually all of my co-workers over the years have been extraordinary.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on the goo loss.

I couldn’t agree more. A good nurse is worth 10 times his or her weight in gold. A huge thanks for all that y’all do–we wouldn’t make it through those “gooey” times without you! :slight_smile:

Definitely … I have to really cheer for the nursing staff at Yale New Haven … amazing people :smiley:

I’d like the add a thank you to the nurses who cared for my father after his heart attack, and took good care of my mother, as she watched him in intensive care.

Especially the nurse who found my mother, sleeping on one of the sofas, to make sure she got my father’s wedding ring, which they had just had to cut off. It’s been 6 months, and she still occasionally mentions it.

This was such a minor thing, but it meant a lot. When I had some surgery, I was shivering with cold afterward. A nurse brought me a warm, heated blanket. Bless you, nurse!

Oh, yeah, and the nurses in the maternity ward were fabulous. They must see thousands of moms and babies, but they made me feel special and cared for.

Hooray for nurses!! I have several good friends who are nurses and they so rock!

As a nurse, thank you for remembering us when we are good. Usually its only the bad stories that get passed around.

I love my job, I get to meet a ton of different people who have had all kinds of life experiences I will never have, but I get to learn about them. (Although these days, I mostly have to hear about them from their family).

I’ve had some awesome nurses myself, especially the ones who took care of my son in London Childrens Hospital (London Ont) when my 5 day old son was in complete heart failure. Not only do they absolutely rock at taking care of sick babies,they patched up this mom who was definitely the worse for wear.

I’ll accept this shout-out. Thanks for it. It is nice to be appreciated.

Sometimes it’s hard to remember why I did it in the first place. You reminded me. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Well, let’s say a nurse weighs 150 pounds. That is 2,400 ounces. Gold is worth roughly $1000.00 an ounce. That makes a nurse worth around 2,400,000.00 .

Makes my daughter’s nursing school tuition seem more reasonable.; )

Gotta agree - most every nurse me or my family have had help us has been a saint.

And I’d especially like to thank any nurse with the guts and integrity to stand up and question a doctor for the good of their patients. Sometimes it needs to be done for someone who is too tired, sick and in pain to do it for themselves.

Thank you [sniffle]

A couple of months ago, I had to run my 81 year old father to the ER because his blood pressure had spiked and would not come down.

The nurse in charge of him was a wonder - explained everything to me, reassured me, and addressed my dad as “young man”. “Now, young man, you need to let me know if you get cold again,” and so forth. My dad ate it up with a spoon. She made a rough evening so much better.

Ooops. I sent this to my daughter and she pointed out a glaring mistake. It seems a nurse weighs 135 pounds, not anywhere close to 150.:wink:

My cousin-in-law the doctor says nobody ever thanks the doctors when they leave the hospital. They thank the nurses.

Regards,
Shodan

I wish there were more nurses like that at the hospital I’ve been working at!