"In the butt, Bob" - TRUE

Here is what Bob Eubanks had to say on the subject:

Was the episode actually aired back then? If so, was it bleeped? I’m pretty sure you couldn’t say ‘ass’ on network tv in the 70’s, and you sure as shit couldn’t make references to anal sex. The host couldn’t even say ‘have sex’ or even ‘made love’, but was reduced to ‘make whoopie.’

I believe the episode was aired, but “In the ass” was bleeped.

Strangest zombie revival ever.

Somewhere right now, Opal is glad she actually has a zombie thread after she has actually died. There has to be a Opal-dead-zombie kind of line that would be appropriate. Well, not appropriate, but fitting and funny. Anyone?

Hi Zombie!

That must have been back when they broadcast gameshows live and uncensored, right?

You’re right, except it didn’t air on The Newlywed Game. It was part of the alternate ending to Big.

zombie or no

things were wholly different back then.

Curse you for thinking of that before me. You win.

In memory of Opal, it should be the third item in a numbered list. So I submit:

1. “Dat be up da butt, Bob.”

2. “In the ass, Bob.”

3. Hi, Zombie!

Awwww. I think this might be the very first thread I ever saw on these boards and i feel like crying.

I’m almost positive that one of my first ask Jeeves questions was about this very subject and led me here. I remember for sure that I was so excited to learn that there were people who talked about not just this kind of horse shit, but potenially everything that straightdope talked about. I didn’t sleep for 3 days straight. 1999 was a great year. I didn’t know Opal Cat but I loved everything she had to say then. And for many years.

Wow I was just having a discussion today about Ask Jeeves, and it’s sort of topic-related too.

I remember back in the day when it was the new kid on the block, that they had a promotion where the first person to type in a certain search term or question would win £1 million (this was in the UK, I don’t know if it was a worldwide promotion). I never heard anything more of this, and I tried googling today to find what the phrase was and can find no trace of it. My friends don’t remember it either. But I’m sure I saw this advertised on TV.

Did this promotion actually exist or am I “remembering” something that never actually happened?

Hi ZombieCat!

Googling “ask jeeves million pound question” shows that you’re not making it up, or at least that you’re not the only one making it up. A quick scan of the results didn’t come up with what the question itself was.

I saw the clip in question on a show about “Television Urban Legends” many years ago and if I remember correctly the wife looks kind of quizzical and says “…in my ass?”

What station were you watching where they wouldn’t have bleeped the word “ass”?

Maybe they were affiliated with the radio station that advertised “kick-ass rock n’ roll” back in the days of my youth.

You can easily read her lips. There’s absolutely no doubt as to what she said.