"In the butt, Bob" - TRUE

Here’s a link to two shows that clip has appeared on. It was bleeped in both, but no doubt as to what was said.

Yep. she sure said it. And it was said on the Newlywed Game set in the 1970’s.
Did that particular episode make it to broadcast? The reason I ask is that a lot of people have claimed to have seen the original (and other incorrect variations) prior to that blooper special being aired, and I’m wondering if censors were in the habit of letting things like that slip through on taped shows.

Why, no they weren’t. People who said they saw and HEARD it on tv in the 1980s are absolutely wrong.

Bumped.

I’m listening to an audiobook of the first volume of David Sedaris’s diaries, Theft by Finding, and in his Dec. 28, 1984 entry he mentions seeing the “Up the butt” incident on The Dating Game.

Were those actual diaries, written on each day about the events of that day, or is that a literary device he’s using for a set of memoirs written long after the fact?

He says the former, but it wouldn’t surprise me if in editing them he’s made some changes.

And the thing is, the “up the butt” follows the UL version story of “up the butt, Bob.” The answer in the clip was clearly “in the ass,” missing the poetic alliteration and some of the humor of “up the butt, Bob.”

ETA: That is assuming he wrote it as “up the butt.” I now realize the post doesn’t necessarily quote Sedaris. What did he write?

Bob Eubanks on the topic.

I’ll just mention that there was another episode I saw that I vividly remember and wish I could find a clip.

The wife was asked “What animal will your husband say your mother most reminds him of?” The wife said she was a very shy, quiet kind of woman, so he would probably say a fawn.

The husband was brought out, and he responded with an enormous grin, “Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster!” This precipitated a huge, marriage-ending blowup. I don’t know why I found it so funny, except for the naming of a Japanese monster movie character as an animal and the unexpected specificity of his answer.

Yep-The woman specifically said “In the ass”, not “Up the butt, Bob”…and they bleeped it out. No one heard it watching the show,

Just for fun, since the last time I posted on it in 2014, an uncensored version has been posted. (Apparently, the uncensored version was posted a month before my last post, but I didn’t find it on Youtube back then.)

The thing about the clip “confirming” the legend is that the legend predates the episode by at least two years. The episode with Olga aired in 1977. I first heard the story in the fall of 1975, only the punchline was the husband saying “That’d be the butt, Bob”. I can pinpoint the date because it was the beginning of my sophomore year, and also when the infamous “man on page 602” Sears catalog was published.

“In the butt,” IIRC, with the name of the show’s host not mentioned.

…what was that one?

A picture of a male underwear model had what looked like the tip of his penis exposed.

Bumped.

I’m now reading Elmore Leonard’s 1980 crime novel City Primeval, in which a character mention having seen a Newlywed Game episode in which a woman replied “In the ass,” with the last word bleeped out but obvious from her lip movements.

Uncle Pennybags was so shocked, he dropped his monocle.

Oh. That’s a good cite. Here’s what I can find:

Cite.

That’s actually pretty much spot-on to what actually happened.

Here’s the link again to the actual moment. I don’t know anything about that novel referenced but if it’s truly from 1980, that’s a dead-on recount of that clip.

:stuck_out_tongue: This made me laugh out loud.

Yes. Yes, it is: City Primeval - Wikipedia