In the dustbin of our cultural history

Ahh yes. In the course of writing that post I was looking at Amazon, etc., for another Olde Tymey device from the transition era from rotary to keypad (pulse to DTMF in the argot).

I was looking for a pocket dialer.

It was a plastic gizmo a little smaller than a deck of playing cards with a touchtone keypad, a battery and a speaker. When you pushed a button it made the same noise as a touchtone phone did. It was used for the situations where you were on a rotary phone but needed to enter touchtones to do things like control a voicemail system or dial an extension. You’d pick up the rotary phone handset, hold the gizmo’s speaker to the mouthpiece, then touchtone whatever and the remote end would hear the tones and do whatever it was supposed to do.

That gizmo would solve @tofor’s problem with his rotary phone. Alas it’s probably been 40 years since those things were made.

Then again I just had an insight as I was typing this. There’s an app for that. Of course.

Actually, there are dozens of apps for that, at least for Android. Install that app on your mobile phone handheld computer, then hold the computer up to the rotary phone mouthpiece and keystroke whatever number you want. Beep boop boop beep beep blop borp and bingo! You’re stylin’ on your rotary phone!

See, the 21st Century does provide backwards compatibility. You just need to be a little more creative than nostalgic. I love it when a plan comes together. :wink:

In the late 70s or early 80s I had installed an unpaid for extension, with the ringer disabled, as I was advised to do. It was great for several years, one evening during dinner someone called saying an additional phone was detected on my line. Son answered the phone, turned red, could not lie and handed me the phone. I said I was not aware of another phone. Caller stated that my line would be checked again in a few minutes. I flew down the basement and disconnected the phone. I never heard about it again. To this day I wonder if that was someone just being mean.

A girlfriend was from a small town (Olyphant) near Scranton, PA where her father owned a dry goods store. He closed every Wednesday afternoon because that was the day stores in Philly were open in the evenings and he would drive down to do his buying there. Apparently, all the towns within 75 miles from Philly operated that way.

Apropos phones, none of you apparently remember the era when only one person on a block even had a phone. My grandmother was the only person in a group of 4 or 5 houses that had a phone. So she regularly would get calls like, "Could you please ask Mrs. Alper to come to the phone and she would cross the street and get Mrs. Alper. It would have been unneighborly to refuse. When the war was over, everyone got their own phone.

Blue laws: Until the 1930s, it was illegal to play baseball, at least professionally, in PA on Sundays. By the 40s this law had been replaced by a law restricting it to between 1 and 7 PM. I understand the 1 (encourage church-going) but I do not understand the 7. At first this didn’t matter much. The Sunday double headers (remember those?) started at 1 and were generally over by 6. But then games started taking longer and suddenly the As, Phillies, and Pirates were having more and more games having to stop early. At first, they would just use the same rules as for a game called for rain. But then they started finishing the game at a future date. There was at least one case of a player playing for both sides in the same game. I tried to find out when this practice ended, but my google-fu wasn’t good enough. I looked for PA blue laws and baseball, but only got the 30s.

I don’t know if it was law or practice, but few stores were open on Sundays in Philly until later. There was one amusing quirk. All bars and restaurants had to stop serving alcoholic beverages at midnight on Saturday night during the winter. But once DST started, they could go till 1 AM. I guess God works on standard time.

Then there were the bizarre blue laws in Quebec when we moved here. Not only were food stores not allowed to open on Sundays, but could not open till 1 PM on Mondays. Then they were allowed to open 9-6, MTW, 9-9 ThF and 9-5 S. There is still no 24 groceries AFAIK, but may are open 8AM - 9PM every day.

My parents had one of those. I asked what the switch was for, my mom showed me, and I ended up calling some random lady by mistake just playing around with listening to the pulse dialing.

We tried the MagicJack app at our last rental since we didn’t have good cell coverage. It didn’t seem to work very well. I should reconsider the stand-alone device though. It might work better, and is probably worth a shot (it’s been 4 years anyhow, so that was ancient history). I wonder if it puts out enough voltage to really ring that very satisfying bell on my phone. If it doesn’t handle pulse dialing I need one of these:

$40, but that’s a one-time cost.

Or use the smartphone app I suggested.

The visceral pleasure of using an actual rotary dial is one of the main attractions for me, so the dialing app kind of spoils that.

I think part of the joy I got from it before was the, “I plug a 60 year old phone into the wall and it’s 100% functional just as it is” aspect. That’s one of the reasons I haven’t pursued other options.

Also, the MagicJack doesn’t do emergency calling, which was also one of the purposes we wanted a landline for.

I appreciate the suggestion though. It might be worth $40 to give it a try and see if it’s worth it.

That’s not a landline in all senses, though. For one thing, it won’t work if the power’s down, because the router’ll be down.

– and I see you’ve already considered the 911 issue. Cell phones now do 911, though, and I think they might now give your location – my phone’s setting for ‘turn location services off’ says ‘except for 911’.

Yeah. I was just facilitating @tofor’s goal to play with his rotary phone. Nothing more.

The folks who want landlines for all the things (reliability, durability, emergency usability, etc) that a traditional telco delivers, … need to get a traditional landline from a traditional telco. Just be prepared to pay for it.

As we say in IT: “The ilities aren’t glamorous. Neither are they cheap.”

The decent, God-fearing people of Bergen County won’t tolerate soxual deviance.

:stuck_out_tongue:

In the 1980s in a town a couple of hours from Olyphant, every business in town (banks, stores and all) closed down Wednesday at 1 - because the farmer’s market opened then (for all I know they still do).

My dad and uncle owned a True Value hardware store from 1975 until 1983; we had probably 100 or so regular customers who had credit accounts with us. We had special receipt sheets (multi-layer carbonless forms) which we’d fill out when a credit customer made a purchase.

One of the tasks that my mother and aunt did was, every day or two, take the receipts from credit sales, and enter in the amounts in our books. Then, once a month, they’d write up bills to each customer who had bought on credit that month, and mail the bills out.

While we did accept credit cards, we probably handled no more than a few sales per week that way.

I was born in the late 1950s and had heard about but never seen store credit as @kenobi_65 describes.

In the late 1990s I moved to midtown St. Louis, MO. And found the local specialty grocer, Straub’s, had store credit.

I was mystified the first time I saw the cashier finish ringing up the order on a modern UPC scanner computerized cash register, then pull out an old-fashioned receipt pad, have the customer write their name and address at the top then the cashier wrote the total, gave the 2nd copy to the customer, and stuck the first copy in the cash drawer.

Is that what I think it is? Naah, couldn’t be; that practice died out 30 years ago even in Bumfuck Arkansas, much less here in a big city. No, it is! That’s store credit. Well whodathunkit?!

They didn’t take credit cards. So I quickly signed up for store credit too. Once a month we’d get a bill and mail back a check. I can’t tell from their website if they’re still doing this, but I do know they eventually began taking credit cards in about 2005.

They’re not a big company; just 4 stores. But they’re not in small-town America either. These are all in the tony inner older suburbs of a major metro area.

Until the '70s nude swimming was common (or even required) in all-male environments like YMCAs, Boy Scout camps, and PE classes. The same did not apply to women & girls in all-female settings. My own father swam naked and thought nothing of this. Things have changed so much that many people find it unbelievable nowdays.

One of my great-aunts was a home economics teacher and in the '60s she designed a “Bachelor Survival” course and convinced the local school board to offer it to senior boys. Apparently it was quite popular.

When I started teaching I was explicitly told by my mentor to not go to any bars in our town, as it would be scandalous that teachers would be seen drinking; This was 1990.

Stores in my little home-town offered store credit when I was growing up. Once a month, Dad would go to the bank and withdraw a wad of cash and give it to Mom at the supper table. The next day, she and I would do the round of the grocery store, the hardware store, the laundry, and pay our monthly bill in cash, getting a receipt. The grocery store bill was always the biggest amount, so we would go into the back room with one of the owners and make the payment there. They had a safe built into the floor where they would put the cash.

My dad also offered store credit at his store when I was growing up. Once a month one of the staff issued the account statements as you describe. They also had stickers that they put on the bill when it was overdue. I still remember one of the stickers that tickled me: it had a sad, droopy-eared hound dog, and the reminder was “Sorry to hound you, but your account is overdue.” There was also the “FINAL NOTICE” sticker, which was very threatening. The statements also said that interest would be charged on overdue accounts, compounded. I asked Dad once how difficult it was to calculate the interest, and he just laughed. “We never actually do that. Most people pay promptly.”

I also remember when we got the Chargex machine in our store, just before I went off to university. (That’s what Visa was called originally in Canada, although it had the same blue-white-brown logo.)

The guy from the Chargex company showed all the staff how to:

• write out the Chargex slip,
  • get the customer to sign it, pressing hard for the carbon,
  • put the card on the machine,
  • then put the slip on top,
  • then go “chunk-chunk” to make the card impression on the slip,
  • then pull out the carbon sheets and put them in the garbage,
  • hand the signed copy to the customer,
  • put one copy in the till for our own records,
  • and put the third in the box to send to the Chargex company every week.

He also gave them the big book o’default numbers, which they were to check for purchases over a certain amount, and decline the card if it was on the list. That book was updated weekly, when a new one arrived in the mail. There was also a “Zenith” number to call, toll-free, if you needed to get instructions on a card. (Nowadays, it would be a 1-800 number, but back then you dialed the operator and said “Zenith number ### ####”.)

I came back from university a year later and asked Dad how much it was used. He said they’d just used it once in the entire year. Most people still did store credit.

Good one!!!
thanks

I still remember their commercial jingle when Chargex was introduced:

:notes: “Will that be cash … or Chargex? Da-da-dum-dum.” :notes:

Until the law was changed in 2008, it was illegal to sell yellow-colored margarine in Quebec (the butter cartel had a hand in this). Often margarine came with a little pack of yellow dye, so you could color your (white) margarine yellow.

Until 1996, it was illegal to deliver bread on Mondays in Quebec. The trivial fines were considered a cost of doing business.

When I started work the majority of people were paid weekly and in cash and that was on Thursdays - you got a tiny little wage slip that told you your pay, tax and national insurance. Some places also showed you your hours and overtime worked. Those pay slips were about the same width as around 4 or 5 lines of A4 paper.

Companies pushed staff into direct paid accounts, but banks were always closed earlier than most factories and were also closed on Saturdays, so you had to open a Bulding Society/Friendly Society account, the Post Office also ran accounts. This meant you could get you pay out in a Saturday morning or perhaps on the one late day opening some of them had during the week - a late day opening was until 6pm.

If you were working on Saturday - such as maintainance people like me did then it was common practice to start work at 6 am and nip off to the Building Society for half an hour to collect your pay.

None of us had credit cards and I think it was just a matter of not having bank accounts. Just about all credit cards were operated by banks, about the only one I can think of that wasn’t was American Express and Diners Club - no-one I know ever had those.

ATMs, no such thing - cash at the counter or in your pay packet, that was it. It made saving up a lot harder for larger household items such as brown or white goods, and there;s a couple of terms you don’t hear that much either.

The first ATMs - when they first started you could only go to your own bank, but not every branch had one so you kept a little fold out laminated card about your person, that card listed all the ATMs in the country that you could use - for my home town this meant there were 4 in the entire city of around 500k.

It took years before every branch pretty much had its own ATM, and years after that for them to be linked and you could go to the majority of ATMs to get cash.

Paying for your groceries at the supermarket with your debit card was fun - it would be rung up and the till issued a carbon copy printout that had to be put into a roller press thing that would take up the card details from the embossed numbers and press them on to the carbon copy form - a slow process when you were in the checkout queue.It was common to withdraw cash from the supermarket till in this way - oh, akmost forgot, you had to sign the carbon copy receipt too and they would chaeck it against the signature on your card, sometimes they would also ask for I.d such as driving licence.

How about being given the third dgree when you applied for a mortgage - you’d make an appointment with some person in the bank, you’d have to bring along loads of those stupid tiny little pay slips, copines of bank statements, a years worth of utility bills - you often had to prove you had been a customer of the bank for a number of years - even though the bank already knew that inforation anyway, and also you had to have personal referees to show you were trustworthy person - and you could not just pick anyone as a referee - it had to be a ‘respected’ proffession such as your GP, local village policeman, former headmaster, employer or some academicly licensed proffesional such as an architect - oh you could also get a military person of officer level as well, or a local Magistrate.
After all that and after you had proved that actually you probably didn’t need a mortgage at all - you could probably save it up, you might - just might be told that you had been approved and now you were in a waiting list to get the money - that approval for a mortgage only lasted a few months and if you were waiting longer than the approval time you could end up haing to go through the whole process again.

Sometimes I wonder how anyone every bought anything that required more than a weeks wages - except on hire purchase.