The flip side: Things that were scandalous that now are no big deal

As a companion thread to this one:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=543863
“Things that happened to you as a child that would be now considered scandalous”,

What scandalous thing did you do as a kid that now is no big deal?

I was going through Freshman Orientation at college and was busted for “gambling”. There were probably 5 or 6 guys in my room, and we were playing penny ante poker and were busted by the RAs. Each of us had to write a letter to the Dean and plead our case or we would have lost our spot in the Freshman class.

I guess if I had been going to a private, Christian college that would be a big scandal, but this was a state school.

When I was in high school my grandmother called my father and made him drive 75 miles to talk to her in person because she had to tell him something that you just don’t discuss over the phone. He drove down to meet her to be told in the most discreet terms that his cousin’s son was getting a divorce. This was the 1970’s, not the 1670’s.

Smoking marijuana has certainly lost its scandal in many areas.
I don’t notice inter racial couples the way I used to
Living in sin is just fine

What is fun is to watch both versions of the Bad News Bears.

Walther Matthau version:
Celebrate 2nd place with a beer
sponsored by a bail bondsman

Bill Bob Thornton version:
Kids drink non-alcoholic beer
sponsored by a strip club

When/where I went to school we were not permitted to display our midriffs. I can only imagine the principal would have had an aneurism at today’s belly-button exposing fashions.
But back then, we did not have to wear uniforms, as most schools seem to require nowadays.

Saying ‘crap’ on television

Or “pissed.”

It might depend on the school. My daughter graduated from public high school in 2006, and they were not allowed to wear midriff shirts, shirts with spaghetti straps, the ‘wife-beater’ style tank tops, or anything with alcohol or drug references on it.
As for the OP, I’d say premarital sex, couples living together before marriage, (or instead of marriage) and out-of-wedlock kids.

Openly gay politicians.

(I see the OP asked about things we did as a kid. Obviously–perhaps–I was talking more generally)

or “bitch.”

I always thought “ass” was one of those, but I’ve went back and saw some of the shows I saw as a kid, and I hear it more often than I would expect.

The whole premise of the sitcom Three’s Company seems terribly dated now. Heck, it probably was then. But these days I can’t imagine anyone in urban, coastal California blinking an eye at mixed gender roommates, involved or not.

Or “bullshit” (this seems to be a more recent thing – it’s my impression that every single episode of The Closer from the past two seasons has exactly one usage of “bullshit” – no more, no less).

When I was in grade school, girls weren’t allowed to wear pants - and this was at a public school. I grew up outside Chicago in NW IN and it got cold in the winter. I remember being sent home in 6th grade because it was -10 and I had the gall to show up in wool dress pants! They later relaxed the rule so that girls could wear pants as long as they were part of a matching pants suit. :dubious:

Hint - it helps if you’re posting “Well when I was a kid my dad locked a chastity belt on me at age 9 and gave my husband the key as a wedding present” to also mention, you know, how old you are.

Wow. I’m guessing low rise spray on jeggings were a “take to the fainting couch” reaction for your school teachers?

Crap, there’s a lot of them since the '70’s. For instance, my brother didn’t get his senior picture in the high school yearbook because he had hair over his ears. While this kind of thing wasn’t universal, it wasn’t at all unusual. People have a hard time realizing what a big deal “long” hair was then. Shoulder length hair would get a guy’s butt kicked in a lot of places.

Another one: It was a big deal when my school made the concession to let girls wear pants to school if the temperature was freezing or below for that day.

ETA: Oops, didn’t see Surly Chick’s post.

Back in the 60s when I was in high school, girls were not allowed to wear pants to school, and had to fight very hard to wear culottes.

At the same time, male office workers would get a stern talking to if they wore anything other than a white shirt to work. And even worse if they didn’t wear a tie.

People never used the words “penis” or “vagina.” You also didn’t swear around children or woman, and if a woman used any “four-letter” words, it would devastate her reputation. Women who “hooked up” were considered whores; and they were often considered “easy” if they kissed on the first date.

Rock music almost never showed up on TV, and when it did – usually in a scene involving teens – it was usually played on horns and clarinets.

One that applies to both threads:

since “sleeping with someone” has come to mean “have sex with someone,” nowadays if I mention having slept with my BFF many times during our teenage years, people assume we weren’t sleeping. But after some 20 years of :eek:, now the reaction is more along the lines of “oh, I didn’t know you were a lesbian!” in the same tone one might use to say “oh, I didn’t know the capital of Kenya was Nairobi!”

I hate the way euphemisms and PC make language’s meanings slide, but it’s cool that if I happened to be a lesbian, people would be cool with it. Back at those teenage years, I got flak for not liking a single Official Heartthrob (occasionally, for liking one before teen mags had discovered him).

Around 1994, I created a small Valentine’s-Day-themed display of condoms for the store in which I worked, and had to take it down within a week due to the number of protest phone calls that not only did my store receive, but that were made to home office in Arkansas. I took a lot of flak from corporate higher-ups for making such an inappropriate decision as putting condoms on display in a high-traffic area. We also regularly took a number of complaints for daring to even have condoms out for sale in a discreet corner of the pharmacy without being hidden behind the counter… what if children might see them?!

…within 10 years, corporate was forcing out pre-built condom displays chainwide not only around Valentine’s Day, but back-to-school time, as well, with required display in high-traffic areas. The over-the-counter condom section now contains flavored lubes and massage oils, vibrating cock rings, etc., and is prominently displayed.

I converted to Judaism from Protestant Christianity and married a Jewish man. My sister married a Catholic man and is raising her kids Catholic (though she doesn’t consider herself Catholic). Either one would have been a huge scandal early in the past century.

Just before I got married, my parents told me for the first time that I was 1/32 Cherokee. That’s an interesting bit of trivia for me. Not so long ago, though (and especially if I were 1/32 black, instead of Native American), that could have affected whether I could marry Mr. Neville at all in some states.

Our being Jewish only mattered to where we could live because we wanted it to (we like living near a kosher butcher). Before Shelley v Kraemer in 1948, we would have had to worry about whether the neighborhood we chose would allow us to buy there.

I majored in astronomy and physics in college. At one time, it would have been a huge deal for a woman to do that.

I’m very thankful I don’t live in the old days, when my husband’s career as a professor would depend in part on my having dinner parties and doing other entertaining. Now, it’s not a big deal if I don’t entertain at home or socialize with his colleagues or their spouses.

Once upon a time in the city of Toronto a large New Year’s Eve celebration was planned for the city skating rink. There would be fireworks, and skating, bands, snacks, what fun! One of the local bands had been pulled from the lineup because of the somewhat scandalous name that was giving everyone pause. Name of the band? The Barenaked Ladies!