In the record business, what do "b/w" and "c/w" mean?

Hello All,

I’d like to set the record straight, here (heh). Or at least see if the record could be set straight.

In this great classic:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a991015.html

Cecil offers us this tid-bit:

“But “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” reached number one, sold more than a million copies, and years later became the unofficial theme song of the Chicago White Sox, whose fans sing it whenever an opposing pitcher or team has been dispatched.”

I, a die-hard Vancouver Canucks fan, would like to know when the White Sox fans begun this. Because, as far as I recall, we were the fans who started it. In our amazing run to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1982 we played what came to be the decisive game against the Los Angeles Kings (game five of the series, April 21st). With a few minutes left, when the game was no longer in question, we started singing “Kiss Him Goodbye” to send the Kings on their way.

For a more detailed account:

http://www.canucksalmanac.hispeed.com/82playoffs/losangeles_index.htm

Were the White Sox fans first? Or were we?

Aron26

ps. The “White Towel” waving ritual began after game two in the next series against the Chicago Blackhawks. That one I know we started.

Well, the song dates from 1969, when I was in high school, and I can remember hearing it sung at high school football games in the early 1970s, so I doubt whether either the White Sox fans or the Canuck fans can take any credit for “starting it”. Singing it derisively at opposing teams, of whatever sport, was one of those pop culture phenomenons that occasionally strike everyone as a marvelous idea simultaneously.

Aron26:

DDG:

Just noting that Cecil’s column doesn’t say who started singing this at games. He only says that the W-Sox fans did it.

And here I thought I was finally going to find out:

I have been misled.

As long as we’re speaking of this number:

What about 78’s?

And there’s been one more blow against vinyl. It seems they now make digital “scratchers” controlled by dummy “turntables” for hip-hop DJ’s to do their thing whilst using CD’s.

I prefer 7" (or 7 inch single) to 45 as 12 inch singles are often pressed as 45 rpm, and some 7 inch singles are pressed as 33 rpm.

While the 7 inch single lost its commercial viability by the late '80s, many indie and punk bands continued to release them for their 7 inch single-loving fans. However, this vinyl subculture is dying out.

The only genere in which vinyl is still big is in hip-hop and DJ culture. CDs don’t cut it for live spinning and scratching.

University freshmen are coming into the UMass radio station who have never even SEEN a record in their entire lives. That makes me feel kinda old.

John W. Kennedy:

Cecil covered different RPM’s in:
Why are record speeds 33, 45, and 78 RPM? And why the big hole in 45s?

Hope that helps.

As I remarked earlier, digital scratchers are the new wave.

[quote]
Cecil covered different RPM’s…*

Yes, but in the article under discussion, he speaks of 45’s as though they were the only single format that ever was, which is annoying to us old farts.

hicago White Sox fans began singing “Na Na Hey Hey” ritualistically during their 1983 run for the division title. It may have been sung ocassionally before then, but it became the “thing” in '83.

– Beruang

P.S.: Bananarama’s version kicks butt!

This was played, at least occasionally, by the White Sox before April 1982 since I moved out of Chicago in 1981 and heard it there. They, may, of course, not heve been first to do so.

OldGuy