In the song "Hotel California," what does "colitas" mean?

I think that you people over analyze this song. You should listen to it for the sole purpose that it is a good song. i am 14, and i love this song, i know every word, but never really thought about them this much. leave the words alone and just listen to the song.

Unveiler: with all this in depth analysis, can ya explain why this song is one of the most banal pieces of musical tripe on the airwaves? Is that part of the Grand Plan; to lull anyone with a reasonable IQ into a stupor so that the higher meaning of the song is engorged only by a precious few?

If so, mission accomplished. Yeeeeecccchhhh.

Aw, c’mon elelle - it’s not that bad a song; it’s just been overplayed almost as much as Stairway to Heaven. And even a genuinely great song like Stairway couldn’t bear up under that many repetitions.

• So I called up the Captain, “please bring me my wine.”
    The Captain, the head waiter, the one in charge of serving the “drinks.” The woman’s pimp. (Her Master in disguise?)

Please bring me my wine!
In spite of all the warnings, our traveler has had all he can take, He’s ready to “drink!”

Prov. 7:18
"Come, let us drink our fill of love until morning;
let us delight ourselves with caresses.

• He said, “We haven’t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine.”
    On the surface, I see two things being communicated here.
    spirit - i.e. enthusiasm – He’s cheering him on, and
    that spirit{s} - alcoholic drink i.e. we don’t serve that “drink” here any more

“How delightfully pleasant, this enthusiastic cheer
    we’ve not had such spirit in many a year!”
    but wine is a drink far too cheap for us here.
    we now serve a treat which is far more austere!
    we know that you’ll find it impeccably nice
    for this drink we now serve is Pink Champagne on ice."

Actually, the captain is mocking the young man for being such a fool, so easy to ensnare!
But why 1969? What happened in that year that the writers would single it out?

If one decides in advance what they want this phrase to say, they can easily turn back the pages of history to the year 1969 and look for events that prove their point. Example, those who have declared this song to be satanic say that Anton Lavey began the First Church of Satan in 1969, in an old hotel on California Street. Now, even if the satanic theory is correct, how many of you are convinced? I do believe that in addition to addictions, that Hotel California applies to the deception of religion. I will (not prove, but) support this through a Don Henley quote shortly. But I don’t believe the founding of the First Church of Satan was the primary consideration in the penning of the phrase. My point is this, I can give no proof here, but only offer an opinion.

The general context of the phrase is this,

"We haven’t had someone so enthusiastic about joining the party here at Hotel California since _________ in 1969!

At (www.rollingstone.com/features/pop100/song.asp?ID=11),
Don Henley, talking about the song, is quoted as saying,

“It was about our facing some of the harsh realities of fame and life in Hollywood,” says Don Henley. “Back in those times, every day was Halloween. The spiritual experimentation and sexual experimentation and drug experimentation all mingled at some points.”

So I ask, did any major event take place in 1969 that captures the essence of “free thought”, “free sex” and “free drugs?” Yes indeed. Woodstock, Aug 15-18, 1969! Some sources say that more than a half a million people attended and it was a total free for all. I’m sure you can find the articles for yourself.
Concerning the First Church of Satan founded in 1969. If the song is satanic…
When one really understands the song, Hotel California is only glamorized through the seduction, but in the end is revealed as a place you do not want to go to. If one applies the song to the First Church of Satan, then the song is warning you that YOU DON’T WANT TO GO THERE! Go figure,(if the song is satanic then) Satan is warning people not to go to his own church! Now that’s a switch. (But I guess there is that side in all of us that just has to do what we are warned not to.)

• And still those voices are calling from far away,

• Wake you up in the middle of the night, just to hear them say…
    When you resist temptation, she returns to you again and again and again, relentless, tireless, even depriving you of sleep, until she breaks you down!

• “Welcome to the Hotel California,”

• Such a lovely place (echo) such a lovely face (echo)

• They’re livin’ it up at the Hotel California,

• What a nice surprise, bring your alibis.
    alibis - excuses, justifications, lies

Prov. 7
19 “For the man is not at home, He has gone on a long journey;
20 He has taken a bag of money with him, at full moon he will come home.”

Those voices keep calling again and again
     Relentlessly drawing and coaxing him in.

“There’s no one who’s better, she’s the best dive in town.”
“A finer drink than what she serves could never be found.”

His mind’s now the place that her spirit is haunting;
with visions of rapture and beauty so flaunting.
His heart now believes, she’ll fulfill every need
his wildest dreams she will greatly exceed.

So come right on in, for a dream that's come true!

Just wait till you see all that we’ve planned for you!
You don’t want to miss it, come in for the show.
Plan it just right and there is no one who’ll know
So bring along friends who will cover your lies
Backup your stories with false alibis.

Drawing him closer, continued descent
       on to her chambers in willing consent

The Unveiler

bangs head on table

[Clevon Little impersonation] "Alright, nobody move or the honkie gets it. I’m serious. Stop it now. Put the interpetations down![/Clevon Little impersonation]

[sub] Somebody help that poor man![/sub]

Ah Unveiler!! I get it!! Hotel California is really about Michael Douglas!

Please, Please could you e-mail me a transcript of your fried’s interpretation of American Pie.

It wouldn’t be this, would it?

Are you ready for more of this Halloween Tail
So beautifully cloaked in disguise?
She turns quite a whoreable trick with her treat
Are you sure you can take the surprise? :eek:

*Mirrors on the ceiling, the pink champagne on ice

Mirrors on the ceiling, pink champagne on ice
Flickering flames of candles, air filled with spice.
Her plans are elaborate, her lair well prepared
(He won’t be the first nor the last of her snared!)

Prov. 7:16-18
7:16 "I have spread my couch with coverings, with colored linens of Egypt.
7:17 "I have sprinkled my bed with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
7:18 "Come, let us drink our fill of love until morning; let us delight ourselves with caresses.

Prov.
9:17 “Stolen water is sweet; and bread {eaten} in secret is pleasant.”

Rev. 17:2
… and those who dwell on the earth were made drunk with the wine of her immorality.
“mirrors on the ceiling”
(Hhhmmm! I think you get the picture here!)

“the pink champagne on ice”
They “drink!”
(Shall we toast, while … Surely I have no need to elaborate here do I?)
(Oh well, if I must!)

“pink”
The highest form or degree; prime
“a runner in the pink of condition”; “tickled pink” (RHD)

“champagne”
A sparkling white table wine …
Anything considered the best, luxurious, the finest.
Luxurious or expensive: “champagne tastes” (RHD)

"ice” - cool, chilling (The “ice” ing on the cake, you might say!)

sparkling, bubbling, vivacious, salacious
cool, refreshing, smooth and delicious.
Oh what a night! Such a splendid ordeal!
But now comes the reckoning Truth shall reveal

Prov. 5:3-4
5:3 For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and smoother than oil is her speech;
5:4 But in the end she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword.

• And she said. “We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.”
    She’s a slave to her own passions, and now so is he!

Prov. 1:31-32
31 "So they shall eat of the fruit of their own way,
and be satiated with their own devices.
32 "For the waywardness of the naive shall kill them,
and the complacency of fools shall destroy them.

Prov. 5:22-23
22 His own iniquities will capture the wicked,
and he will be held with the cords of his sin.
23 He will die for lack of instruction,
and in the greatness of his folly he will go astray.

Prov. 30:20
This is the way of an adulterous woman:
she eats and wipes her mouth, and says, “I have done no wrong.”

pink champagne
A sparkling white wine, …, colored slightly by the grape skins during fermentation or by the addition of a small amount of red wine just before the second fermentation. (RHD)
red wine – a symbol for blood
blood – a symbol for life and vitality

“Pink Champagne”
She mingles the blood of her victims with the wine of her immorality!
(i.e. She drains her victims of all meaningful life!)

Like a black widow spider who turns on her mate
so all who would know her share similar fate
she drinks from her victims consuming their lives
encasing her trophies in deathless demise.

(You know what I mean here! You’ve seen them passed out along the side of the street. You’ve seen them stoned out of their minds, You’ve seen them “kneeling before the great white throne” puking their guts out! Human lives “wasted,” reduced to a fraction of what their lives are truly worth. And these images are only the tip of the iceberg for some! This woman has no mercy, and she is no respecter of persons!)

Now that he’s tasted the wine of her passion he will arise only to drink from her again. What he intended to be just a “one night stand” will now become an ever increasing nightmare. He will find himself returning to her again and again, as a prisoner of his own devices. He’s addicted! The innocence he once possessed that could have provided the strength to resist, is now gone forever. He’s been captured by her beauty, the thrill of her presence, and the delight of the pleasure that she brings. There now remains for him no life outside the intoxication of her “wine”.

Prov. 23:31-32, 35
31 Do not look on the wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly;
32 At the last it bites like a serpent, and stings like a viper.
35 … When shall I awake? I will seek another drink.

• And in the master’s chambers,

Prov. 7:27
Her house is the way to Sheol, descending to the chambers of death.
No longer does he find himself in a place of beauty and delight (the woman’s chambers) but rather in a dreadful place of horror (Death’s chambers, the place of addiction) where he discovers that a cruel task master is lord over them all. They’re all slaves of their own insatiable desires, held in the death grip of their own vices.

• they gather for the feast,
    Like sharks congregating for a hellish feeding frenzy, they’ve all got to get another fix.

• They stab it with their steely knives,
    They hate what they’ve become and make every effort to break the bonds of their addictions
    but all their attempts are futile.

Prov. 5:4
But in the end … {her speech is as} sharp as a two-edged sword.

The only weapon they have is the ruthless stabbing of slanderous speech, but that at its best is mere cursing of the wind.

• but they just can’t kill the beast
    the beast – i.e. their addictions
    Try as they might, they just cannot overcome the beast.
    The beast now controls them!

• Last thing I remember, I was running for the door,
    He’s got to get out of there!

• I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
    The mayhem that surrounds him has at last restored him to his senses. Frantically, he searches to find his way out. But it’s too late. There is no escape. There is no way to turn back time! Time…only…marches…forward…tick…tick…tick

• “Relax”, said the night man, “we are programmed to receive.”

Is. 5:14
Therefore Sheol has enlarged its throat
and opened its mouth without measure…

Prov. 27:20
Sheol and Abaddon are never satisfied…

• “You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave”.

Prov. 2:19
None who go to her return again, nor do they reach the paths of life.

The doorway is gone, the one he came through.
There is no passage back to the life he once knew.

Check out the picture on the back cover (of the gatefold album).
The empty room: The empty bottle of pink champagne on ice:
The unattended luggage: The janitor cleaning up:

The party’s over and in the end, all that’s left is emptiness. There’s no more sparkle, no more wine, all the life is gone. He came to the front desk to check out, but wherever he went, he certainly didn’t need his luggage! (Notice the faint shadow of a face superimposed upon the wine chiller. Wonder what that implies?)

The janitor cleaning up:
Hotel California must prepare for her next guest!
I wonder, who will it be?
So, what is the message the Eagles intended to communicate with this song? And who is this “woman” anyway? I’ll introduce you to her. That’s next time!

The Unveiler

Enlighten us on “I want to hold your hand?” by the Beatles
“Yummy Yummy yummy I’ve got love in my tummy” 1910 Fruitgum company (though I always found that kind of obscene)
“Hey Hey Paul” by Paul and Paula - I’ll start here
Paul, the new testament prophet
Paula his archetypal female alter ego,
the cosmic interaction between the higher natures implied by the dyadic,the marriage of the polar opposites
etc etc

I’teasing but I actually admire the depths of your obsession,

Riverman2

So then, how does this correlate with the line from “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”?

“The girl with colitas goes by.”

Takers?

OW! Stop throwing that!

So, what’s the song all about? Why did the Eagles write it? What was it they were trying communicate?

Cecil offered several possibilities that he had found listed here again in shorter form for convenience. (See link to thread starter at top of this thread.)

(1) Hotel California is (about) a real hotel.
(2) Hotel California is (about) a mental hospital.
(3) It’s about Satanism
(4) Hotel California is a metaphor for cocaine addiction.
. . . (This comes from the published comments of Glenn Frey, one of the coauthors.)
(5) It’s about the pitfalls of living in southern California in the 1970s.

Any of the above might well be a valid application of the song. But just because one finds a situation in life to which the song might seemingly be applied does not mean that the original intent of the song has been found. So I ask, what do the Eagles themselves say about this song?

Well, for starters, one is mentioned above by Glen Frey, # (4). The song, according to him, is at least a metaphor for a cocaine addiction. I should think therefore, that an application of the song to any drug addiction would be valid. But this is only the beginning.

I’ve already quoted this before, but let’s look at these words from Don Henley again.
Found at (http://www.rollingstone.com/features/pop100/song.asp?ID=11)
“It was about our facing some of the harsh realities of fame and life in Hollywood,” says Don Henley. “Back in those times, every day was Halloween. The spiritual experimentation and sexual experimentation and drug experimentation all mingled at some points.”

Halloween? Yes, frightful experiences to say the least! Experimentation with drugs, sexual experimentation/exploration, and yes, even spiritual experimentation/exploration and where these things can lead. And for the Eagles, the harsh realities of fame and life in Hollywood. These are themes to be included in the meaning of this song. And the song at least is to be understood in part as an autobiography of the Eagles themselves.

Again, another quote from Don Henley and what he desired to express through the picture of the album cover,
Found at (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8678/ac4hotelcalifornia.html)
(- Rolling Stone, 11-14-91)
" ’Faded glory, loss of innocence and decadence,’ says Don Henley,
describing the feeling he sought for the cover of Hotel California."

Faded glory
. . . i.e. fallen from greatness, reduced to a fraction of original magnificence or value.
A falling away from intended destiny.

loss of innocence
. . . i.e. loss of virtue, loss of purity, loss of wholesomeness

decadence,
. . . i.e. corruption, debauchery, depravity, dissolution, self-indulgence, dissipation, excess

These are the words used to paint the cover picture! And if these words express the desired theme for the cover of the album, then they necessarily express the desired theme of the song!

These are some of the themes, but what is the setting for the song? Hollywood has already been mentioned, but is that all?

Again from Don Henley.
At (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8678/eagles6.html)
(- Paul Gambaccini, The 100 Rock ‘n’ Roll Albums of All Time, Harmony Books, 1987.)
" ‘We were all middle-class kids from the Midwest,’ Henley said of the Eagles. ‘Hotel California was our interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles.’ "

Hollywood, Los Angeles, Southern California. This is where the setting for the song began. But was this the sole intent?

Look at more of the quote from Don Henley,
Found at (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8678/ac4hotelcalifornia.html)
(- Rolling Stone, 11-14-91)
“I was trying to use California as the microcosm for the rest of the nation.”

The rest of the nation? :eek: Really? I’d have to get another source to believe that one.

Again from Don Henley,
At (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8678/eagles6.html)
(- Paul Gambaccini, The 100 Rock ‘n’ Roll Albums of All Time, Harmony Books, 1987.)
“We were all middle-class kids from the Midwest,” Henley said of the Eagles. “‘Hotel California’ was our interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles. It was meant to be a metaphor for the United States, for the excesses this country has always been known for. It wasn’t meant to be just about California or Beverly Hills. It was more or less taken that way, but we had broader intentions than that.”

A metaphor for the United States of America? Surely not. Why, with those words one could almost imagine a magnificent Statue of “Tiffany” standing at the doorway of our great nation. “Candle” held high. “Enlightening the Nations of the World.” Showing them the way. And in the distance… listen… the sound of the great “Mission” Bell, proclaiming “Liberty and Justice for all.” Liberty, and yet so many of her people prisoners of their own devices. These words are not to be taken as a debasing of these great symbols of our freedom. Nor are they said in mockery of this great country and the principles of freedom upon which she was founded. But rather, these words are to expose the irony that exists between our precious freedom, bought and paid for by the blood of our forefathers, and the abuse of that freedom which has lead so many into horrible bondage and for some even death! Perhaps, the metaphor is better understood when compared not to America as a nation, but to the fallacy of the “American Dream,” which looks so inviting, so alluring, so wonderful “from a distance” and yet the freedoms offered can be so abused, that the “dream” leads many to destruction. True freedom requires and demands responsibility, without which it will destroy! Look at the headlines, read the news, pick up a tabloid, etc. When we see so many who (for all practical purposes, have reached for and attained the “American Dream” and yet still searching for something) have been snared by one facet of “Hotel California” or another, we must necessarily conclude that something is missing from the picture. The American Dream does not fulfill the human soul. To believe that it does is to fall prey to the deception Tiffany-Twisted. And in the end, she will destroy your life! Life, liberty, and happiness can only be attained when contentment has been found within, when one begins to find their own destiny and purpose, the reason for which they were born. And finding the full extent of that destiny is possible only when one …

Am I anti-American? Am I unpatriotic? You will believe what you want. But I love this country and I care for people. I turn again to the words of the Master of this song, Don Henley.
(http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8678/eagles6.html)
(Paul Gambaccini, The 100 Rock ‘n’ Roll Albums of All Time, Harmony Books, 1987.)
“When you love something, you have to point out the things that are going wrong.”

And so it becomes clear that the main intent of this song was to symbolically portray the decadence of the era in which it was written, and specifically in Southern California. But Southern California does not stand alone in this arena, and neither should the time frame for its relevance be limited to the 70’s. How much more timely is this song for us now as we continue in society’s downward spiral of moral decay and decadence? And the song is not just about decadence, but the alluring draw of that decadence, and becoming enslaved to it. The song is not about just one specific type of addiction, (i.e. substance or sexual) but has varying application(s) in the life of every person. What the song warns me about is different than what it warns you about, but then again, perhaps we’re not so different. For some, it warns of drugs, for others alcohol, or pornography, immorality, adultery, all forms of sexual addiction, mainline religions, religious cults, Satanism, intellectualism, fame, fortune, power…, you name it, the song can handle it all. But more importantly, what does the song warn you about? What is the bait that you’re tempted to take? THIS WOMAN IS PREYING FOR YOU!

Next time, my purpose/objectives for making these posts.

The Unveiler

Are you George W Bush?

:eek: O…M…G… :eek:

There’s more?

I gotta hand it to you, unveiler - you really are inspired. This may seem like lunacy to most, but I think it is actually kinda neat.
Yes, I am serious. Even though I hate this recurring question…

Okay, that’s it. Now I am frightened.

Isn’t it interesting how this addictive behavior works?
You grow to hate what you’ve become addicted to,
but you just keep coming back for more!
Well if it’s straightdope you’re after, I’m doing my very best to please.
(Relax; I’m just having a little fun here with my critics. Now, down to business!)
So what is my purpose in all of this?

1. To explain a song that has been shrouded in mystery from the time of its release in 1976. One can find scattered across the web various explanations of the song. But none that I have found do justice to the important message that this song contains. My purpose has been to explain the lyrics, unveil the meaning of the song and establish its relevance for today!

2. I’m sure some have been asking “Why all this quoting from the Bible?”
    I consider this an important question to answer!

The Bible is where my interest in the song began. I hadn’t heard the song in years and quite frankly didn’t know much about it, only that some believed it to be satanic. Then one day through some strange circumstances, I was reminded of the phrase, “You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave.” I was struck by it’s similarity with the Bible verse, “None who go to her ever return.” (i.e. They never leave her house!) I was then reminded of the phrase, “There she stood in the doorway, I heard the mission bell.” and again a verse, “she sits at the doorway of her house, calling to those who pass by.” With that, I decided that it was time to investigate. I found the song to be full of phrases and thoughts that were similar to many Bible passages. Most verses were about harlots and were found in various places of the Bible, but the majority came from the early chapters of Proverbs where scattered through the pages one can read about two symbolic women, the “Woman of Wisdom” and the “Woman of Folly.” The parallels between “Hotel California” and the “Woman of Folly” were too much for me to let lay unnoticed. Did the Eagles adopt this biblical theme to tell their story about America? Perhaps only the Eagles can answer that, but this wouldn’t be the only time Don Henley has alluded to biblical themes. He was in a band called “Shiloh,” has a song called “Garden of Allah,” a song “The Heart of the Matter” which contains biblical phrases, and I’m sure many more. (If any one knows of more places where Henley uses biblical themes or knows more about any “biblical” background he might have, please email me.)

Earlier in the thread Andros voiced a legitimate concern,

to which I now reply. My explanation of the song’s lyrics did not come from just the lyrics, but from the lyrics alongside the parallel Bible verses and several dictionaries. Did this method of interpretation bring in more meaning than the Eagles intended? Though I would never want to underestimate the creativity of the Eagles, my first response is, Of course it did! But in all the additional meaning that I may have brought into the song, I do not believe that I departed from, nor did injury to the central theme which the Eagles intended. I merely added more “color” to an already incredible song. (By the way, my sincere apologies to all of you who are real writers and true poets; I suppose I’m just more of a Gongfellow!)

As I just said, I do not believe I have strayed from what the authors of the song intended for it to communicate. But as I have also already said, this song closely parallels the Bible. Though the Eagles did not intend for the song to be carried any farther, I must mention now the song’s ultimate scriptural message. For as morbid as the picture is that has already been painted, the half of the story is yet untold. You see, to this point I have applied the song to this life alone, when in truth, (biblically speaking of course) the song warns of the far greater and more important reality of the eternal destiny of those who do not turn to the voice of Wisdom. The Bible indeed supports the interpretation given thus far, but the Bible also has much more yet to say. Whereas this explanation of the song would depart from the original intent of the Eagles and also depart from my own purpose for making these post, I will give no further explanation of it here. But, for those who are interested, I am building a website devoted to unveiling the whole story. I hope to complete it later this year. The site will contain what I have posted here but also a whole lot more! When I have finished the site and it is available for all, I will post here again to let you know and will place it as “homepage” in my profile here at StraightDope.

And so another of my objectives is to point out similarities that exist between the song “Hotel California” and the Bible. Not all people are interested in these parallels, but I know some are.

1. (Related to #2)
    It has bothered me tremendously that some have classified this song as satanic without having given any recognition to its parallels with the biblical message that warns of the dangers of “Folly.” I consider this message of the song very important. And so another of my objectives is to … “Redeem the song from the hands of Satan” … so to speak.
    (Yes, I know of the supposed back masking in the song and that there are rumors that the Eagles may have had connections with Carlos Castaneda, but once again, this isn’t the time nor the place for that discussion.)

2. To remind people of the consequences of “Folly.“
    The line in the song “last thing I remember,” in some ways suggests the song was a dream for the traveler. i.e. the last thing I remember (in the dream before I woke up)… Perhaps our traveler had a dream warning him not to do something in real life that he had been contemplating about doing. Regardless, ‘WARNING” is a central theme of this song! This song is not just a story about one man, it’s a warning to all! This country offers incredible freedoms and opportunities with which come grave dangers with lasting consequences. Young people (and for that matter all of us) are faced daily with decisions that could affect the rest of their lives in negative ways. Since many are greatly influenced by Hollywood and contemporary music, this song provides a great opportunity to get a very important message across. This song is a classic! Top of the charts! Perhaps this song has a message that some will listen to and take to heart. The intent of what I have posted here is to give an explanation of the song that will make a lasting impression upon all who read it, whether you like what I have written or not. My hope is this, that somewhere out there, at some point in time, someone who has read this (or a similar) explanation of this song will stop in their tracks (remembering this song) and flee from a situation that could hurt them for the rest of their life. Who knows, perhaps even some of you who now wish that I would go away, might one day be grateful that this fool passed by your way. Call me a dreamer, but if just one person is influenced in a positive way, it’s worth the hassles the rest of you give me. (My insignificant reputation and what people think of me is not worth comparing to the value of peoples’ lives!)

3. To offer hope and encouragement to those who now find themselves “trapped” in Hotel California!
    I had every intention of placing here at this point various statistics. Numbers of people afflicted with STDs, AIDS, addictions to drugs, alcohol, pornography, various lifestyles, unwanted pregnancies, divorces, numbers of suicides etc. etc. etc. Any kind of stat that would be relevant and indicate/demonstrate the significance of the message of this song. But as I began to retrieve the numbers I was overwhelmed by them and became increasingly sickened at the thought of reducing anyone to some cold, impersonal, statistical table. The only reason why I even now mention all this is to say that I found the song is relevant for a far greater number of people than I had previously thought. And these were only the extreme cases.

So, excuse me while I have a private chat with those who are living in the reality of “Hotel California.”
(Private? Yes! While my words are on public display for all, each of you listens in the privacy of your own heart.) I realize that my posts have had various tones of wit, humor, mockery and biting sarcasm. But at this critical point, here, now, if you hear in me any voice of condemnation or mockery, you’re listening to the wrong voice. I have no room to condemn. You see, I too have been “seduced” by this woman. I bear the scars of my own visit to Hotel California and, having said this, perhaps you can now begin to understand my passion for explaining this song. I know what it’s like to lay on my bed at night racked with the pain of emptiness, shame, and humiliation that addiction brings. Wondering if it would ever be possible to break away. However mild of an experience I may have had in comparison to some, I would wish the pain of my folly upon no one. But in addition to this, many of you have endured the additional torment of those who were more zealous to “beat you up with their truth” than they were to show you love and concern and the way to The Door of Escape. How I wish something could be done to undo this pharisaical wrong that has been done to you, but all I can say is that I am sorry you have had to endure such insult from those who should have loved you and help to find freedom from your torment. Truth was never intended to stand alone, but must always be proceeded and accompanied by love acted out. Weeping and sharing of pain is to accompany rebuke and warning. Hope, encouragement, deliverance, healing, and restoration are to accompany revelation of the condition of the human heart. If one could know and speak all truth and not have love, he would be nothing! To be sure, there are many many many out there who would join with me in this apology but they are harder to find because they are just not as loud and obnoxious as the others. But my purpose here is to say that unlike the ending message of the song, you can get out of there. It’s not too late. There is a Way of Escape no matter how deeply you are in! If you are desperate enough and look for The Door of Escape with all your heart you will find it! No, it’s not a door that will take you back to the place you were before. (You don’t want to go back there anyway or you’d just end up right back in Hotel California again.) But it is The Door that will take you in to a new life where you will find hope and the strength to overcome your “beast.” So pick up the broken pieces of your life and run for The Door. With help from the right people, YOU CAN GET OUT OF THERE! If you have determined that The Door of Escape of which I speak is just not the one for you, then at least get help from somewhere. Your life is to valuable to waste and while you remain a prisoner in “Hotel California” you will never reach the full potential and destiny that was planned for you. It’s in that destiny that you would find in life all that you have always been looking for! And just so there is no mistake in what I am saying, yes, The Door of which I speak is Jesus, who gave His life to set you free. (I deeply regret that we his servants have not always been as willing to do the same . . . for you. . . .Please forgive us and God help us to change.)
Sincerely Yours,

The Unveiler
(Your emails are welcome at hc_unveiled96@hotmail.com )

Looks like we need a moderator or administrator in here. I thought proselytizing was saved for Great Debates?

Just wondering…from the original post, Cecil stated information which had apparantly been published by Glenn Frey. (Below is the line she wrote to which I am referring). I was wondering, though, if anyone knows where this was published. Or, if there is anyway to attain the citation for this?

(4) Hotel California is a metaphor for cocaine addiction. See “You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.” This comes from the published comments of Glenn Frey, one of the coauthors.

There seems to be a minor mistake in this column. Culitas and colitas are two words that sound similar and differ in spelling by only one letter, but are pretty different in meaning.

Culo is rude slang for rump or anus (the meanings are not well differentiated for this word), meaning something similar to “ass” or “hole” but a bit more crude. Culitas or “little asses” is sometimes used (by men, go figure) to refer to women in a…shall we say…not entirely respectful way.

Looking for culitos would be something you’d probably only do in West Hollywood or the Castro district in San Francisco. Calling a straight Spanish-speaking man culito is an excellent way to start a fight since you’re basically calling him, “my little bitch.” I’m fairly certain about the spelling since I asked my Urugayan roommate about it when I learned this word.

Cola is the tail of an animal with no sexual or metaphorical connotation I am aware of. So, colitas or colitos (depending on the sex of the owner) could be “little tails,” like the lobster tails Cecil mentioned, but it does not have anything to do with sex.

Unless you do it with crustaceans.

Do you live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

I never liked the Eagles, nor any of their succesor groups, or solo projects (well, maybe Joe Walsh, a little), but I think this thread is brilliant.

I also think its a little frightening, which is exactly what I believe unveiler is going for, i.e. whether its a bout a woman, a specific drug, drugs in general, or the California, or any decedent lifestyle, it sis about addictionand obsession, and in a Kaufmanesque display of meta unveiler is displaying the obession he writes about.

Sorry, if this has been touched on but I will admit to not reading the entire post. But this leads me to my question:

I though I remembered hearing (and I’m not sure where, sorry) either Frey or Henly saying once that the song was really an exercise in an attempt to purposefully write a song filled with allegorical references akin to the songs of Steely Dan, and that the “stab it with their steely knives” line is a nod to this.

Any thoughts?

and does the fact that Steely Dan was named after a dildo mean anything in this context?