In which he commits sacrilege by indicating a mod sucks.

1. Cabernet Selfservignon.
  2. Cabernet Moanalot.
  3. Gewerzunderminer.
  4. Rhine Greisling.
  5. Pinot Gripe.

I know this can never be done, but just once I’d like to see the mods walk off the job. Give give a big fat ‘Fuck You’ to all the complainers, post a sticky in every forum, unban all the trolls, and leave.

Maybe then some of the goddamm work will be appreciated.
[scared child voice]Have you seen some of the other MB’s out there??[/scared child voice]

Seen them? I modded one. The admin was overwhelmed with real life, and we were left scrambling to pull the thing together. It wasn’t pretty. (Mods had NO powers outside their own forums, either. There wasnt’ much we could do).

I’ve modded one as well. I left because it was a POS board run by a guy who pretty much said “hey, they voted you in, now you gotta figure it out”. Senate simulation board … I joined for the hell of it (debate practice can be useful), got nominated for Independent Whip, and when the head of the party got elected president I was the head of the party and the de facto moderator.

And then I realized all the fucking work that goes into even the smallest message board. And that nobody there who was in my little group of about 20 wanted to do any work. They just sorta hung around and shot the shit all day while I posted “HEY! WE NEED PEOPLE HERE, HERE AND HERE! I’M TALKING TO YOU!”

Left a few months later when I realized they truly didn’t care about anything but sex jokes and making fun of people who weren’t them. Plus, by and large the administration of the board (few exceptions noted) was a bunch of guys who wanted the title for the power, but didn’t want the duties and responsibilities.

Don’t miss it one bit.

Uh, okay.

On GameFAQs, the word “goddam” is expressly forbidden. “Damn” is fine (within reasonable limits, of course), “goddam” is not. Of course, all the harsher obscenities are equally verboten. And every post that has even ONE unacceptable word is deleted. In fact, even replacing all but one letter with symbols…asterisks, underlines, etc…counts as censor bypass, which will also result in a summary deletion.

The way I see it, I got two ways to deal with it:

1. Accept this reality and find alternatives to “goddam” and asterisk-ified bad words.
  2. Whine and moan about how oppressive the tyrranical not conforming to real life blah blah blah CJayC is, completely give up one of the best video-game related websites around (where I happen to have contributed quite a bit of material, BTW), and go to one of those anarchic hellholes where half the threads degenerate into flame wars and everyone is free to go off topic and there’s no structure whatsoever and zippo chance of any rational discussions.

Someday, somewhere, there may be a situation where #2 is the right choice. I do not see this situation happening within my current lifetime.

For crying out loud, is advocating illegal activities that freaking important? And if so, why not do it on a board THAT DOES NOT HAVE RULES SPECIFICALLY BANNING THIS SORT OF THING?

A geek with no life, I don’t mind. A completely clueless dolt, I’m much less understanding.

No, I’d celebrate. That Bobby Jones was always such a rat bastard.

Bolding mine.

Dude, you used Gamefaqs as your example?? Gamefaqs boards are the retarded little brothers of Usenet. All the censoring you posted is necessary there just to keep it readable. It doesn’t stop the flamewars. Not one little bit. You want a good gaming board, try Gaming-Age.

The point being, this is essentially the mods house. The same applies to wherever you go. Some houses have different rules. When you don’t like the rules of a house, as a guest you leave.

Even if that means giving up the resources of the house. Just because you brought food everytime you showed up doesn’t make you anything other than still a guest.

I’ve admined a forum before, one with less and different rules than this one had, and it wasn’t the apocalyptic thing that people seem to think.

Yeah, there were arguments, there were flame fests, there were pile ons, and they’d extinguish themselves within a couple pages of a thread. In the five years I admined at that forum, only one person was ever banned. He was banned for hacking the database.

Every forum is run differently, but that doesn’t mean that they are inherently ‘better’ or ‘worse.’

I’ve admined a forum before, one with less and different rules than this one had, and it wasn’t the apocalyptic thing that people seem to think.

Yeah, there were arguments, there were flame fests, there were pile ons, and they’d extinguish themselves within a couple pages of a thread. In the five years I admined at that forum, only one person was ever banned. He was banned for hacking the database.

Every forum is run differently, but that doesn’t mean that they are inherently ‘better’ or ‘worse.’

Lets see, smug yet lame-ass whiny OP. Check.

Attacks the Mods. Check.

Was completely wrong. Check.

New Poster. Check.

200 posts since Feb. Check.

Ran away from thread. Check.
Hmmm, never seen this pattern before.

Points were deducted for not mentioning the evil “clique”, Nazi’s, forgetting to incorrectly apply the First Amendment, or misusing the smilies. Also, I would expect a “I am taking my football and going home” post soon as well.

Maybe I haven’t been around long enough, but why is everyone jumping on DrLizardo’s case? Did he complain? Yeah. But it seems he provided ample information and cites (a favorite around here) to backup his complaint and show some validity to it.

I think we all agree this is the mod’s house, but why is it a crime to call “unfair” when clearly there is a reasonable perception of being singled out?

He perceived an uneven handling of a board violation and complained. As elf6c pointed out, he didn’t make mention of Nazis or cliques. He didn’t call anyone names, he just said the whapping with a mod hat was an inconsistent enforcement.

Only C K Dexter Haven tried to try to address the seemingly valid complaint at all. The rest, including czarcasm just insulted him or told him to take a walk if he didn’t like the unfairness. Is that really the way it should be? The mods do something you don’t think is fair and your only recourse is to walk? That doesn’t sound like the mentality I typically associate with this place. He complained, where he should (the pit), and instead of explaining why he was singled out, everyone tells him to like it or leave. Something seems awfully wrong with that picture. I must be missing something.