In which Kythereia fesses up

My father’s cardiologist suggested he join WW, but he’s not, shall we say, the joining type. A neighbor suggested joining their online program, and he did–and it worked! He lost over 70 pounds, and my mother lost 30 (and I thought about moving in with them since I could stand to lose a few myself).

Why should we point and laugh? You’re doing something good for yourself, and it works. I lost 70 lbs before getting pregnant (and regaining [sub]mumble[/sub] pounds which I need to start dropping).
Before, January 2002 at the NYC Megadopefest. I’m on the left.
After, January 2003 at the NYC Megadopefest. Not a great after picture because I’m in dark clothes in a dark bar, but still. I dropped from a size 24 to 12/14.

Good luck! If you need help, I’m an old hand. There are quite a few of us who have done it.

sigh I should do that. I really should. But I hate the regimentation. When I was a kid, I went to a fat camp–I believe it was called the Fourth Reich Weight-Loss Fun-Spot, or something. Deep down, I’m afraid that all “regulated” diets are like going to that camp.

And besides, when you’re fat, you can sit on the couch and not do anything and think “Well, that’s okay … 'cause I’m fat.” :slight_smile:

But good luck! And I definitely recommend the before and after pictures. You can never see yourself lose weight, and it actually does help when you have those “why do I bother?” moments.

Wow, scout - now I know we must be the same person. I don’t work for WW - but I did lose 50 pounds on the Winning Points program, and have kept it off for 2.5 years.

Susan

I’m seriously thinking of doing this. For the first time, doyou just show up at a convenient meeting and pay?

Whoops. Those would be 2003 and 2004.

I laughed way too much at that.

Congrats, Kythereia! I just adopted a very strict eating plan [not WW] and am actually quite enjoying it. I’ve got a long way to go, but I’m excited. I finally made the choice to get my ass in shape and nothing feels better than knowing I’ll be a LOT healthier by this time next year.

I’m also very proud of you. =)

I still don’t have the courage for a meeting (or the cash right this minute), but I was able to acquire some WW material (booklets, points calculator, etc) and a WW pointsbook and while I haven’t stuck completely on the wagon and am now more to the point where I just try to take what I’ve learned and apply it without the points structure (because when I journal my food, I go apeshit… basically) and I’ve dropped close to 40 lbs since March.

It’s a great system if you’re willing to journal your food and stick to your points without “fighting the power” as it were, and binging on a gallon of cookie dough to “show those WW people how you feel about their frickin’ points system”.

You do learn alot of great nutritional information about food and they really drill home the importance of moderation. I hope you reach whatever goal you’ve set!

I also recommend the before/after pictures. My coworkers occasionally mention that I look like I’ve lost quite a bit of weight, but I honestly don’t see it. A picture is great way to cement the change for yourself.

My former sister-in-law did the WW thing. Dropped somewhere around 100 pounds.

Then other men started noticing her.

Then she realized she did didn’t have to put up with a husband who treated her like crap.

She’s not my sister-in-law anymore.

Hope it works out as well for you, Kythereia! :slight_smile:

::runs nekkid through thread::

(If she covers her eyes enough times from that, eventually it’ll be significant exercise…)

Wow. You’re all way too sweet and wonderful, I don’t deserve you guys. :o

I would also recommend measuring your bust, waist, upper arms, hips and thighs and keeping track of the inches lost. I’ve currently lost 5 inches off my waist and 4 inches off my hips (24 inches in all). I also keep an excel spreadsheet where I record my weekly weight and I make a line graph chart, so I can watch the weight go down and down. I also reward myself every 10 lbs, with new clothes or a nice hair cut or a massage.

192/156/140