In your current job, could you telecommute if it were allowed?

I do, along with most of the rest of the company.

There’s more to it than just a question of whether or not a job can be done remotely. Some people just can’t work effectively that way.

No. There are aspects of my job I could absolutely do from home, but there are some essential things that I have to be in the office for.

Interestingly, before a semi-recent promotion I could have done a larger percentage (though still not all) of my work from home.

I can and do as well.

I have to physically go to a physical shop with physical tools to fix physical objects. There’s really nothing about my job that involves the internet, and in fact, I could even do my job entirely (although with more physical effort and time) without electric power. So, nope, can’t telecommute.

I voted yes. My entire group currently works from home 4 days a week but the 1 day a week in the office is more required (by the contract) for purposes completely unrelated to technical limitations of performing our jobs.

Yup, insurance company call center work. All I’d need is a computer, internet, and a phone. I also process towing and roadside assistance bills, but they’re all stored electronically as tiff files and get pulled from a virtual workbasket. All doable from home.

Now I think I could. But when I started I needed a guiding hand and some specific instruction from somebody looking over my shoulder. It’s still an occasionally handy thing.

One of my work colleagues actually does telecommute as he lives two hours away, but as his job is a little bit more straightforward he can be left to his own devices somewhat more easily than me, though the gap is narrowing the better I get at my job.

My job is 100% digital. Due to the gummint clearances involved and the security level, taking any of it home would likely result in prison time.

I voted no.

A large part of my wife’s job can be done at home. After watching it gradually creep into more and more of our home life, I’m very glad mine is physically isolated at work.

I currently work 100% from home, and have for a few years. It has this aura of being “oh, that’s so cool”, but really, as pullin hinted at, it can suck. Not having any camaraderie and contact with your co-workers can be frustrating and so very isolating. I greatly look forward to my trips to the office in Chicago for the bonding opportunity it affords.

EDIT: I voted “Other”

I work on an overnight futures trading desk. There is no reason I couldn’t do my work from home, although I don’t have 4 computer monitors nor a powerful desktop computer at home.

Yep. I could do a day’s work without leaving my spare bedroom and without ever getting on the phone. The problem stems from the fact that I deal in sensitive customer information, and my home computer (and network) lacks the security of my employer’s.

But in theory it could be done, easily.

I mostly research and write, and could theoretically work from home (though I never would- it’d make me go stir-crazy.)

I can and I do. I’m a software technical writer and I work from my home office. I love it. My team is all over the world so going Into the office wouldn’t be much use anyway.

I could, theoretically. Most of the job is interfacing through the website and communication can be accomplished via IM.

It’s vastly more effective and secure to go to the office, though.

I could do it, but I prefer to go into the office most days. I like interacting with my coworkers in person. It’s easier to bounce ideas off one another.

Answered Other.

Could absolutly do the job (financial and statistical analysis) from anywhere with a good enough network connection. But the company culture does not support this.

We tried a flexible work arrangment a few years ago. The only people who got approved were women with small children. Then HR did a follow-up and found that e-mail and phone response times were much longer for telecommuters than for people in the office. Since productivity of the group as a whole is highly sensitive to response times, they killed the program. They went one step further, they banned informal or undocumented flexible work arrangements worked out between manager and employee. Under threat of legal action by employees who were not allowed this arrangement (all male).

At another company back 1996-2002 I had employees I would not see in person for a year. I would meet my boss at most four times a year. I had one employee who worked out of her home that I never met. She worked for me for 18 months. The field I was in at the time required much more frequent communication, but we managed this by phone, email and instant messaging. It was also a 24X7 always on culture.

I couldn’t. I fly people and freight around the country so that obviously can’t be done from home. I can do everything else from home though, flight planning, checking weather, minor paper work tasks etc.

It depends on the project. I’ve had some (specifically several of the support roles) where I could have worked from home 100% of the time much more efficiently, since I only spoke to people in my same building for social reasons. Contact with the people I worked for and work-related contact with my boss and coworkers always involved email.

The current project had several periods where working from home would have been more efficient than doing it in the office, but it wasn’t acceptable.

I voted yes. Currently, I’m a good ol’ fashioned bon-bon eater (full time mom), so technically I have to be on site for doing that… BUT I answered for my husband, who is a psychiatrist. He did, indeed, do telemedicine, after a fashion, out of necessity a couple of years ago when his hospital got rid of the behavioral health department, and a few thousand patients still needed refills of antidepressants and whatnot. Luckily I was able to quickly cobble together some sort of phone and charting system at the house to get him by till he could find office space elsewhere. But it can be done, and I know it can be done pretty darn well if one has time to prepare in advance for such a setup. Whether the clients prefer it over face-to-face interaction is another matter. (Some actually didn’t mind the phone consults; for just one example, there were people who had to travel hours to utilize my husbands services versus a more local provider’s, and phone appointments were convenient.)

I work in a lab. I’d have to do some seriously mad scientist shit to work from home unless I’m writing or doing data analysis.