In your current job, could you telecommute if it were allowed?

I already work from home two days per week, Tuesdays and Fridays.

As a police officer I guess I could patrol the house.

Most of what I do, can easily be done from home with appropriate remote access and a telephone (in fact I do work from home several days a week). However, there’s something to be said for a couple days a week of “face time”, it can be a lot faster to hash stuff out when you’re all in the same room.

Maybe you could do the paperwork parts of the job from your house, tho.

I put no since I can only do some aspects of my job from home. Much of my work on reports and such I can do from home. But I also have to meet people and attend government hearings.

I’m a nurse. The only thing I could do from home would be look up drug interactions in Micromedex.

My dog walking and pet sitting business can’t be done from home.

My customer service job is totally at home. I’ve not met a single person I work for or with. The company office is in another state and all of us who answer calls work from home. I love it.

Nope. I don’t have enough fridge and freezer space for all the blood and plasma, and I don’t know where I’d put the centrifuges.

I could do portions of my job from home (and often do), but too much required my presence.

Still a no, though. Well, unless he lands that sweet house-patrolling gig.

Other.

Some days/weeks I need to be there: other days/weeks I could work from home. I don’t officially have the option, but I’m on good enough terms with my boss that I could probably get away with working from home on occasion. I haven’t tested the waters yet.

I answered “yes” but need to add a caveat. I am an instructional designer for corporate training and performance support solutions. I know that I could work remotely – and successfully do my job – because with a previous employer I did just that for 2 1/2 years! Unfortunately, my current employer has a firm culture thing about face-to-face interactions. So, with a few exceptions (like IS helpdesk support) they like to have pretty much everyone come into the office.

sigh I loved working from home.

I could. I’m in IT, and there are probably 2 occasions a month in which my physical presence is required, and that’s mainly because certain managers like to have their staff in the room for meetings. The reality of the situation is rather different, as I am expected to put in an appearance pretty much daily, but I can and do telecommute on occasion when I need to.

Other. I could telecommute, as do others in my department, but I would rather keep home and work separate. I am only fifteen minutes away from the office, so no biggie as far as commute, which helps.

As I handle operations of a large building (manual labor involved), I can never telecommunute. I voted no.

I suspect this is the case for a lot of people. I could technically do most of my actual work at home, but I would be jeopardizing my long-term prospects if I missed out on the daily face-to-face interactions that result in being seen as a part of the team and being in on the ground floor when new projects are starting up.