In your humble opinion, who are your countries "national treasures"? (other countries, too, if you like!)

Carol Burnett, Paul Simon for the US, John Cleese for the Brits…

He’s not allowed to. No way, no how. I forbid it.

Why ?! What has she done apart from having a couple of hits ?
I have nothing against her, but national treasure ? I think not.

+1 for Dolly Parton though !

For Canada: Joni Mitchell and Yannick Nezet-Seguin.

Speaking on behalf of my English mates, I will nominate Mark E. Smith (before he died).

I will admit, I do admire Kareem Abdul Jabar, who is a writer and part time actor in his post athlete days.

Not a national treasure, but an impressive guy.

I would estimate that <50% of British people know who he is.

But probably more than:

I doubt even 1% of Brits know who he is.

Hidden treasures maybe?

Of course we could argue with almost any choice, but do you really find this suggestion so outrageous?

I think “she had a couple of hits” doesn’t quite cut it to describe her long musical career. She also was a big influences on many contemporary musicians, especially but not exclusively female ones. On top of that, I would say that she excudes a type of eccentricity that many would say has a quintessential Britishness to it. Being a Brexit supporter lost het some points with some, but I think it not too out there as a suggestion, really.

For example, this article introduces her as such right off the bat.

Joni Mitchell, I’ve heard of; Yannick Nezet-Seguin, not so much. In fact, I’ve never heard of him until your post.

Apparently, he’s originally from Montreal, but has made only a little mark in Canada. Although he got his start in Montreal, he really made his mark in New York, Philadelphia, and Rotterdam (according to Wikipedia).

I’d suggest that he’s fallen prey to what so often happens in Canada: somebody is a Big Big Deal in Quebec, while the rest of Canada asks, “Never heard of him, who the hell is he and why should I care?”

Alan Bennett for the UK?

A hell of a career and someone who has given UK impressionists something to work with for over 60 years.

Or Armando Ianucci? also a stellar career and between the two of them they must have been at the centre of a fair proportion of the greatest entertainment output from the UK and a significant influence on most of the rest.

Clint Eastwood
Carlos Santana
Joni Mitchell (Canada)
Wayne Gretzky (Canada)
Björk (Iceland)

I don’t know much about him, but is Henry Kissinger considered too polarizing to be considered a national treasure?

Forgot one:

Morgan Freeman

Yannick is an interesting case. Yes, he got started in (and is from) Montreal. There are two orchestras in Montreal and he took over the baton of the lesser one quite young. Although you will never see actual evidence, there seems to be bad blood between him and the other. The only evidence is that he has never guest conducted. Now he is an international superstar, the chef of both Philadelphia and the NY Met, while recently having accepted the title of conductor for life here in Montreal. He used to be the head of Rotterdam, but had to leave when he took over Philly and the Met.

I wonder how many frequent flyer miles he has.

I just realized I have another one for the United States:

Alan Alda

I just love that guy and will be devastated when he dies. I look up to him quite a bit.

A couple more for the UK - Miriam Margolyes and Victoria Wood.

Victoria Wood died in 2016.
Julie Walters is still around, though.

Seconded. Kind, paternal, role model.

Another one for the UK - Cleo Laine

Elisabeth Bik is an outstanding Dutch resource.

She’s a scientist who retired a few years ago to become a full-time data sleuth - tracking down questionable figures in research papers and causing the retraction of hundreds of dodgy publications. Her activities have inspired numerous others to expose bad science. She’s gotten high praise but also faced legal thuggery from some she’s offended.

Another one for the US:

James Hong - long time actor who has appeared in way too many movies to be believable. He was born in Minnesota, which can be difficult to remember since he often plays foreign characters in movies. He’s 93 and you should check him out in Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.