In your "Objective" opinion, which are the 5 greatest Rock Bands of all time?

WIN

[hijack]

Interesting, indeed. Here’s a line from Freddie’s Wiki page:

Fans of The Who have gone on to great things…I see that Pearl Jam’s set at Bonnaroo this weekend included “Love Reign O’er Me”.
[/hijack]

Opeth isn’t a rock band, Opeth is their own genre of music.

Wow. This is really a tough, tough question. One band, for me, is clearly on the list:

The Beatles

The rest would be very difficult for me to rank. I think Led Zeppelin would have to be up there, too. I’m not a huge fan of them, but surely The Rolling Stones must count, too. Same goes for The Who. Wow, that only leaves one left. Maybe Black Sabbath?

That’s the best I could come up with “objectively.”

This thread should be titled, “Pull your 5 favorite *Fester-Rock * bands out of your ass and assign them a numaracal value”

:rolleyes:

Any and all misspellings may or may not be intentional.

Someone mentioned Bob Marley and the Wailers.

I do not consider them a “rock band”, but if this list were to include Pop and Reggae bands, then I would put Bob Marley WAAAAY up there.

I do not know of ONE person (yet) that does not like **at least ** 3 or 4 Bob Marley songs.

Plus, given the fact that he came from a 3rd world country and became a multi-millonaire and he still rallied for the poor and stood against political oppression speaks tons of this golden man.

Sure he had a rather weird religion, and sure he might have smoked a bit too much in his life, but he (they) made some dame good music.

It also dosen’t hurt to say that Marley’s “Legend” album is the best selling reggae album of all time with over 12 million copies sold.

What is Fester Rock?

In no real order:

The Slickee Boys
King Crimson
The Pixies
Pere Ubu
Clutch

People have listed Stone Temple Pilots, Wilco, a fake joke band (Spinal Tap), plus over a dozen bands that 99% of people have never even heard of, and that’s the one you have a problem with?

About time!
My choices, no explanation given

1.Ramones
2.Grateful Dead
3.Cheap trick
4.Van halen
5.MC5

Someone listed Mongolian Chop Squad, too. I don’t think anyone’s taking those seriously. Queen, though, one can take seriously and disagree with.

I agree completely. :slight_smile:

In no particular order:

1. Led Zeppelin (OK, that one is in order)
  2. The Beatles
  3. The Pixies
  4. King Crimson
  5. Polvo (seriously)

Five that influenced me, rather than five who had the largest sales:

Cream
Hendryx
Queen
Boston
Beach Boys

Please allow me to introduce myself. I may not be a man of wealth and taste, but I can’t stand Bob Marley. I have nothing against 70’s era regge either, I just think that Marley is insanely over represented and is possibly one of the weakest members of the genre.

Missed the edit window:

ETA, perhaps it’s my age, but I don’t understand the Queen love being shown in this thread either. I mean yeah, Queen is ok, but top five of all time? Not even close. I think that the Beach Boys mention has stronger contention than Queen does, but as always YMMV.

Hahahaha

Well pleased to meet you.

There’s a first time for everything. :slight_smile:

And yes, I agree with many, Queen is overrated BUT I take sales into account. I’m *trying * to take many things into account when “objectivley” rating bands, and I think sales represents influence, among other things, of course.

I think Floyd to be the best band ever subjectively (duh).

And I don’t like the Stones much.

1. Led Zepplin
  2. Rolling Stones
  3. Pink Floyd
  4. AC/DC
  5. The Who

I consider the Beatles to be “Pop” music, not rock.

Rush

The Rolling Stones

Queen

The Beatles

Van Halen (w/Roth)

I’d say Cowboy Mouth but everyone would scratch their heads.

Except me, I guess. But then I did live in Louisiana for a while.

I think that the people who aren’t getting the Queen inclusion really don’t understand how popular they were outside the U.S. You don’t get 300 million records from Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, and Another One Bites the Dust. There was more. A lot more.