Inalienable Rights on Hemp?

I have seen many claims on the web that the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper. Unfortunately, most of these claims are made by sites named hempisgreat.org.

Call me cynical.

Is there any truth to the claim?

The copy they all signed was printed on parchment. Jefferson may have well written his notes, as well as his submitted “true copy,” on hemp paper – I wouldn’t know where to find that out.

What is the source for your claim that it’s on parchment?

The National Park Service: Independence Historical Park, Philadelphia

My apologies; it was engrossed on parchment, not printed (my eye skipped a paragraph). Engrossing refers to handwriting in large clear letters, as for a legal or official document. (like an act of Congress!)

Perfect! Thanks!

I’ve heard that his drafts were written on hemp paper, however, I don’t have any cites to justify this.

Real parchment? I’ve always assumed it to be on fake parchment, like many diplomas and such are today. Is real parchment any good for documents?
Peace,
mangeorge

Even if it was, I wouldn’t read much into it. In Jefferson’s day, hemp was just another crop, grown for a variety of uses. Making paper was one of them.

Does anybody really think that Jefferson used hemp paper because he believed marijuana should remain legal through posterity?

I assume, from the tone of Bricker’s posts, that he/she seeks to debunk.

As I understand it, parchment is distinguished from paper chiefly in being more durable and more expensive. So if you’ve got a really important document which you want to pass on to posterity, parchment would be a logical choice.

As I understand it, real parchment is/was made from animal skin. Sounds kinda yucky to me, and not very durable. Leather doesn’t last very long, does it? Couldn’t paper parchment be made of hemp? 'Cause if it was, I got a Constitutional right to smoke dope. :wink:
On preview, that 1st sentence sound’s smart-assed. Sorry, Chronos, it wasn’t meant to be. I don’t know a better way to phrase my reply.

Parchment (or vellum) was the primary writing surface for hundreds of years, and is very durable - more so than paper. I surely hope you were joking about leather not lasting long.