Incest and animals

Parthenogenesis is actually surprisingly common in lizards. It’s particularly common in the Whiptail family, where there’s a handful of species that only reproduce parthenogenically. (A few of them do engage in mating behaviour - IIRC, only the one in the female role produces viable eggs that season.)

Some theorize that if someone looks very like you, that you will avoid mating with them for this reason. There have been many sorts of experiments on it. And this could be the reason that people of a different race are often seen as more attractive.

Other primates also hugely avoid incest. The people who said it’s all human morality have no idea what they’re talking about.

Sit on my face
And tell me that you love me
I’ll sit on your face
And tell you I love you

I love it when you oralize
When you’re between my thighs
You blow me away
You blow me away

(a popular song at parties when I was at school)

The Master speaks (briefly) to attest to the existence of not just mutual masturbation but also oral sex among non-human primates. Exhibit A: gorilla going down on girlfriend.

The phenomenon is known as Genetic Sexual Attraction. That does not seem to mean “genetic” in the sense we commonly use the word (encoded in DNA), but rather that that to which Person A is attracted in Person B may be actually a product of their common origin (genesis) either physically or environmentally.

I can tell you that pigeons certainly do practice incest.

From Monty Python’s “Contractual Obligation Album”.

Right up there with “Medical Love Song” about every possible social disease…
I’m dying from your love my dear
At least we both were lying when we said that we were cured…

Plus “Decomposing Composers”
They’re decomposing composers,
There’s less of them every day,
You can still hear Beethoven,
But there’s not much of him left to play…

Ah, the memories.

Huh. This is odd, because, while we are most attracted to people who look the like us, we are also most attracted to people who smell unlike us. At least, women are if they aren’t on birth control. In the article where I read this, this was hypothesized to be the incest taboo, but that doesn’t line up with the idea that biological siblings who have never met usually being attracted to one another. Unless, of course, the tests were only dealing with visual attractiveness, and not overall success of relationships. (I would expect the estranged siblings to break up more quickly.)

“Inflammation of the foreskin, reminds me of your smile…” LOL

I seem to recall reading a story in a British tabloid about a brother and sister relationship that happened along those very lines. (Sorry, don’t have a cite.)

IIRC, the brother met and fell in love (lust?) with the sister, without either one knowing that they were related by blood. (Given up for adoption and separated at a very young age and not told that there was a sibling? Again, not sure.)
What caused the story to stick in my mind was, the brother and sister, upon being made aware of their genetic relationship said, “So what? We’re in love and that’s all there is to it.” Or something along those lines. Caused a big uproar IIRC, a big enough sensation that it was front page news.
(I’ll try my google-fu, later.)

Found it! I think. (SFW)
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-514809/How-fell-love-brother-sister-grew-apart-met-20s.html

Old joke: Woman calls her vet to tell him her female cat has gotten realy fat. Vet comes over, examines the cat and tells the owner “She is pregnant.”

Woman: Oh,no, that can’t be. She is an indoor cat, never goes out. There is no way she could be pregnant.

Vet notices the woman’s other cat: What about that male cat right over there. Could he have done it?

Woman, very haughty: Of course not. That’s her brother.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-h… huh? :confused:

The woman in the joke, like the OP in this thread only more so, wasn’t clear on the fact that most non-human animals don’t have anything like an incest taboo.

Ya think? :rolleyes:

Whoosh!

Oh. You were too subtle for me! :wink:

I was just ‘clowning around’ a bit, no offense meant. :smiley:

For that matter, I might as well go ahead and shame the Devil, and tell the truth!
It was actually yours truly, that was ‘whooshed’!

(Had to read the joke twice, before I got it!):smack: