Incorrectly corrected

Mine are all from teachers:

When I was in 5th grade, I designed a children’s magazine as part of a project in my school’s Gifted & Talented program. For the last page, I had put in a section entitled “Funny Fotos”, where kids would be able to send in funny pictures of themselves. I had stylized both 'f’s, too. My advisor laughed at me and said, “Photo is spelled with a ‘ph’, I can’t believe you made that mistake!”
I tried to explain to her that it wasn’t a mistake, it was purposeful incorrect spelling to make it more quirky, as many publishers do. She insisted that I had obviously just spelled it incorrectly and just refused to accept I was wrong. Well, I DID refuse, because I wasn’t wrong!

That same year, a different teacher (my actual classroom teacher, not the GT advisor) corrected a line in a children’s book entitled “The Day the Moose got Loose” I had written. My text was entirely made up of rhyming couplets (not the most imaginative, but I WAS only a 5th grader, and it WAS only a children’s book). I don’t remember it exactly, but the previous line had ended in the word “beat” and this line went “Clop, clop, clop went his feet.” My teacher corrected my copy to “Clop, clop, clop went his HOOVES,” because “moose don’t have feet!” She refused to accept the fact that a) she had RUINED the rhyme scheme of the ENTIRE book; and b) moose DO have feet, they just happen to have hooves on their feet! She then sent the pages off to be bound.
I still have that book. It’s still ruined.

One last one:
When I was in 10th grade, I had to write a short autobiography for my honors English class. I thought I’d be clever and titled it “The Unauthorized Autobiography of Wampeter.” My English teacher said it didn’t make any sense. It was an autobiography, so essentially, I had to have authorized it. I told him that was the point - it was supposed to be FUNNY. He wouldn’t give up and insisted I change the title. I refused, and believe I got no less a grade for it. What makes me really angry about it, though, is that SEVERAL YEARS LATER the author of the “Series of Unfortunate Events” put out a book entitled “Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography.” Sure, HIS publishers realized it was gold!

That sounds like exactly what would happen to me in that situation :slight_smile:

[bolding mine]
Paging Gaudere:smiley:

How completely bizarre. Someone needs to make an arthouse film about that.

[hijack]the Google ads are ‘Religion: 7 Great Lies’, ‘The Field Center (how consciousness creates reality)’ and ‘S Jay Ohlshanksy (Estimating Human Longevity)’

I can understand how the first one relates but the others??

[/hijack]

I was doing word processing out of my home and one of my customers was a lawyer in her own small practice. She was originally from another country.

She wanted me to put in the address of a letter:

Attorney John Smith, Esq.

I tried to explain that it should either say Attorney or Esq., not both. She insisted I put both in, so I did it. It’s not like the other lawyer would ever know who I was. She really just wanted to show respect to the other lawyer, I guess.

/hijack/
I throw up in my mouth every time I hear “attorney” used as a title. Maybe it’s legit (I honestly don’t know), but it still sounds very wrong to me. I don’t address our CFO as Accountant Jones and the dude in the service department at Volvo as Mechanic Svenson. I’ve also been told that “Esq.” is sexist (according to the Word Detective, “an ‘esquire’ was originally a young manservant,” and "With the passing of knights, “Esquire” came to be applied to any young man of “noble” birth who lacked a title, such as “Prince” or “Duke.”) in addition to being pretentious. When writing to another attorney, I address the letter to Mrs. or Mr. Whomever.
/hijack/

If you consider the International Hydrographic Organization the world’s authority on this, the decision to include the Southern Ocean was made in 2000. This cite explains its origin. So, if you were in 6th grade before the year 2000, you were technically wrong. The CIA article states the following:

To quote the About.com article:

He later became vice president.

I vaguely recall being told that when water is heated to the boiling point, its molecules split into hydrogen and oxygen. It was, IIRC, a biology class, not a chemistry class. But still. Everyone in the class was either too ignorant or too lazy to correct her.

Several years ago, I had a boss who loved to correct my word choices, even though he was wrong every single time! If I used the word “detrimental” he’d say “no, you mean ‘devastating’.” Another time I used the word “amenable” and he corrected it to “amiable.” This happened at least once a day. While he was still my boss I had to grind my teeth and agree. Thank goodness I don’t work for him anymore.